Next Match: Image
Internazionale in a Pre-Season Friendly.
Saturday 20th July 2019, KO 12:30 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Daniel James having medical

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Looks like Daniel James should be the first signing of the Ole era.

Non Glazer related thoughts?

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Re: Daniel James having medical

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Not sure what to think. Never watched him before - not even for Wales who I usually follow.

People are saying good things about him, and while I don't know if he's any better than what we have ability-wise in the wide areas, I hope he's a massive improvement attitude-wise

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 am

It is very difficult to not mention the whole picture which is clearly aimed at me to which i have no problem

If you dont want to then miss out the last bit

in terns of just football it is a gamble
not a major gamble but a gamble
the lad has done nothing yet but is a prospect
not a Ronaldo prospect.More a Nick Powell prospect
He needs to find a different level that he has not yet shown.He has shown potential only
City or Liverpool would have no interest in him which shows you where we are

now stop reading
He is a typical Glazer signing
At £18m(all paid up front) interestingly enough and a salary of just over £60k a week that is nothing in relation to modern day premier league costs
They will keep him for 2 seasons no matter what without ever considering a review of his contract
If he doesnt step up they will sell him after 2 years for £10-12m
If he does make it they will offer him a new contract for not a lot of money which he will decline and then they will sell him and let the fans call him a greedy bastard after what we have done for him
Glazernomics

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Ffyck it I'll comment.

He's a good signing. He's quick, he's direct, he's skilful. He's comfortable running with the ball, and he will easily outpace defenders by latching onto a through ball or even knocking the ball past a player himself.

His end product has improved immeasurably over the course of last season, and there's still room for improvement. I think his stats from last session are decent enough given that he was playing in a decimated Swansea side. His debut goal for Wales showed that not only is he quick on the ground, he is also quick thinking; he anticipates what might happen, and gets himself into good positions.

But it's not just about his goals and assist. He's a danger. He can play through the middle, on the left, and on the right. He will take players out of the game even if he's not directly involved with play; the opposition will need to double up on him.

As is usual for a kid going to a bigger club, he will need time to adapt. He will need support. Personally, I would put him straight into the side. He ran riot against Man City in the FA Cup, and whilst that was 'just' one game, it did show direct comparison against a high level club.

He also doesn't shirk his defensive duties. He'll track back, press the opposition defence.

A lot of people are concentrating on his pace, and that's understandable. He's very quick. He ran almost a hundred yards in just over eight seconds for his goal in the FA Cup. However, he offers much more than that, as I previously mentioned. If it was all about pace then Bebe would've made it here.

I'm fairly confident that he will be a success at United, and that the fans will love him. He excites.

So there.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 pm

t.d. wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:18 pm
Ffyck it I'll comment.

He's a good signing. He's quick, he's direct, he's skilful. He's comfortable running with the ball, and he will easily outpace defenders by latching onto a through ball or even knocking the ball past a player himself.

His end product has improved immeasurably over the course of last season, and there's still room for improvement. I think his stats from last session are decent enough given that he was playing in a decimated Swansea side. His debut goal for Wales showed that not only is he quick on the ground, he is also quick thinking; he anticipates what might happen, and gets himself into good positions.

But it's not just about his goals and assist. He's a danger. He can play through the middle, on the left, and on the right. He will take players out of the game even if he's not directly involved with play; the opposition will need to double up on him.

As is usual for a kid going to a bigger club, he will need time to adapt. He will need support. Personally, I would put him straight into the side. He ran riot against Man City in the FA Cup, and whilst that was 'just' one game, it did show direct comparison against a high level club.

He also doesn't shirk his defensive duties. He'll track back, press the opposition defence.

A lot of people are concentrating on his pace, and that's understandable. He's very quick. He ran almost a hundred yards in just over eight seconds for his goal in the FA Cup. However, he offers much more than that, as I previously mentioned. If it was all about pace then Bebe would've made it here.

I'm fairly confident that he will be a success at United, and that the fans will love him. He excites.

So there.
Nice to see you again mush.

Sounds good. Where would he play for us do you reckon, and what other players would compliment him?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

He's passed his medical apparently

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Dante wrote:
He passed his medical and signed yesterday

I assume t.d is a United scout to have so much knowledge about a kid that has been playing at a lower level for Swansea that nobody knows much about because he hasnt been around that long
The report that t.d wrote could have come directly from the same United source that spins to the paper every day about the world class signings that we arewaiting from that most people,including this forums members know are not coming unless we lose DDG and Pogba fir about £250m at which time we will buy one big name for £100/125m to keep the shirt selling sponsors happy
This kid comes into the Dalot and Darmian bracket which is he might or might not make it
The fact that we had to beat nobody off tells you a lot about how top clubs rate him.
You can say no more
He has already got you saying the United/Donald Trump way of "wait and see" and "Truly incredible"
I personally would like to see a combination of proven players AND prospects but i fear that will not happen
I will get excited AFTER he has shown great ability against Liverpool or City or even Arsenal or Chelsea or Spurs
Currently he reprresents no more than Dalot and i am not getting excited about that i am afraid

He is a Glazer style signing of the Tampa Bay Buccs ilk ie two arms,two legs and a dick and cheap

On another note we all got a clue from the United website send out today
Chris Smalling is looking is looking for a great pre season and a great next season to remember for all the right reasons
FFS Chris you are a serious part of all the wrong reasons but thats no fault of yours
Clearly NOT after a top class centre half are we

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:29 pm

raycreative wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:11 pm
Dante wrote:
He passed his medical and signed yesterday

I assume t.d is a United scout to have so much knowledge about a kid that has been playing at a lower level for Swansea that nobody knows much about because he hasnt been around that long
The report that t.d wrote could have come directly from the same United source that spins to the paper every day about the world class signings that we arewaiting from that most people,including this forums members know are not coming unless we lose DDG and Pogba fir about £250m at which time we will buy one big name for £100/125m to keep the shirt selling sponsors happy
This kid comes into the Dalot and Darmian bracket which is he might or might not make it
The fact that we had to beat nobody off tells you a lot about how top clubs rate him.
You can say no more
He has already got you saying the United/Donald Trump way of "wait and see" and "Truly incredible"
I personally would like to see a combination of proven players AND prospects but i fear that will not happen
I will get excited AFTER he has shown great ability against Liverpool or City or even Arsenal or Chelsea or Spurs
Currently he reprresents no more than Dalot and i am not getting excited about that i am afraid

He is a Glazer style signing of the Tampa Bay Buccs ilk ie two arms,two legs and a dick and cheap

On another note we all got a clue from the United website send out today
Chris Smalling is looking is looking for a great pre season and a great next season to remember for all the right reasons
FFS Chris you are a serious part of all the wrong reasons but thats no fault of yours
Clearly NOT after a top class centre half are we
TD is our long-standing welsh lad (a lot more welsh than myself who only has my birth certificate to go by!). He's probably been following James more closely than the rest of us.

I suppose you could argue that anyone who could ever come in would fall into one of your two categories - shirt seller or 'Wait and See' gamble.

Either way it means we'll actually have to err... wait and see how they do to pass judgement :laugh:

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 pm

I don't even view this as our first signing, this is basically a youth player. A signing is a player that will come in and make an immediate impact, the type of player that costs money and others want.

This was my biggest fear with Ole taking over, this will be our direction in the transfer world. And this direction will not serve us well.
Last edited by Relly on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Make America Great Again!"

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Dante wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:43 pm

Nice to see you again mush.

Sounds good. Where would he play for us do you reckon, and what other players would compliment him?
How's it going!

Given his versatility in attack, I wouldn't be surprised if he was used on either flank, and I think the wing is his best position. He prefers to play on the left despite being right footed. He'll cut in on his right, and is quite effective at it. I can't see him playing much through the middle at United, if at all (unless as cover). I imagine Ole would want to sign a dedicated CF for that role. I would personally play him on the left.

I mentioned that he's good at doing his defensive duties, but he's very attack-minded. So for him to be as effective as he can he will need a lot of freedom, which would require a solid defense and midfield...A creative midfielder to spot his runs, etc, obviously. He struck up a good understanding with McBurnie at Swansea. McBurnie often dropped deep and linked up play well with the wingers. I think, though, that with talented players they will get along with each other. It's just all about building up an understanding.

I'm very excited to see how he will continue his development at United. He's very young, he's raw, but he's talented and has a level head. With proper coaching from Ole and Phelan (and Giggs with Wales...), I'm confident he'll turn into a great success. I would say that £15m is a fair price, and if an extra £3m needs to be paid in bonuses then it would have been worth it.

Wales are away to Croatia tomorrow and James will likely feature.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Relly wrote:
I don't even view this as our first signing, this is basically a youth player. A signing is a player that will come in and make an immediate impact, the type of player that costs money and others want.

This was my biggest fear with Ole taking over, this will be our direction in the transfer world. And this direction will not serve us well.
£15m for a youth player. :laugh: He'll go straight into the side.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:42 pm

According to t.d and Glorio he sounds like a young Pele :laugh: :laugh:

As Ben says he is an unknown who nobody else was after that attracted a transfer fee of the pie money for the last home game and a Glazer standard pay day.That will be significantly more than he was earning in the valleys but still not a massive gamble
So Glorio you think that you can put anybody into the shirt seller or wait and see category.Well i am glad you have finally realised it although i suspect you dont mean mean it
But frighteningly you are correct
That is indeed Glazernomics in action
They might even be hoping they can flush out a new Welsh supporters club to pay for him.They are not sure to realise there is no money in Wales so worth a try eh
After all Ole flushed out 500 Norwegians a game which makes him bombproof until they stop coming

So to sum up if an unknown Welsh kid who we have bought on the cheap gets you excited and looking forward to next season as he can help bridge the 15 game gap between us and City and Liverpool then get your todger out,buy a membership and have a Bobby Charlton
I prefer to wait and see :laugh: :laugh: because that is reality

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:15 pm

t.d. wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:43 pm
Relly wrote:

£15m for a youth player. :laugh: He'll go straight into the side.
15 mil in this market is nothing.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Ray:

I'm giving you my assessment on him after watching him throughout the season. You can take it or leave it.

It's just strange that you would only measure a signing based on the amount he'll cost and which other clubs are after him, rather than keeping an open mind and giving the kid a chance, especially after you haven't seen him play at all. It's actually an utterly embarrassing position for you to take Ray. It genuinely makes you look like a spoilt brat, throwing tantrums because he's a signing from Swansea and the Championship.

Maybe just wait and see, yeah? I might be wrong, but at least I am basing my opinion on him after actually seeing him play consistently.

Anyway, I'm done now. Thought I'd offer my two pennies' worth, maybe some will find it helpful. Bye.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:18 pm

raycreative wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:42 pm
According to t.d and Glorio he sounds like a young Pele :laugh: :laugh:

As Ben says he is an unknown who nobody else was after that attracted a transfer fee of the pie money for the last home game and a Glazer standard pay day.That will be significantly more than he was earning in the valleys but still not a massive gamble
So Glorio you think that you can put anybody into the shirt seller or wait and see category.Well i am glad you have finally realised it although i suspect you dont mean mean it
But frighteningly you are correct
That is indeed Glazernomics in action
They might even be hoping they can flush out a new Welsh supporters club to pay for him.They are not sure to realise there is no money in Wales so worth a try eh
After all Ole flushed out 500 Norwegians a game which makes him bombproof until they stop coming

So to sum up if an unknown Welsh kid who we have bought on the cheap gets you excited and looking forward to next season as he can help bridge the 15 game gap between us and City and Liverpool then get your todger out,buy a membership and have a Bobby Charlton
I prefer to wait and see :laugh: :laugh: because that is reality
Not sure why my name is mentioned here as I've insinuated nothing. Haven't watched the boy play at all - so I'm firmly in your camp: Wait and See - as I have no clue what to expect

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Relly wrote:

You may be disappointed because this is the approach the club appear to be taking now - Ole actually said it before the end of the season. They seem to be more interested in buying up and comers who are hungry and fit the clubs ethos (whatever that is - appears to be hardworking, fit, and pacy) as opposed to the recent approach of star names who don't seem to be bothered or fit enough to play the style Ole wants.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I do hope that we'll look for one or two quality players in their prime as well to complement all this.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:54 am

t.d. wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 pm
Ray:

I'm giving you my assessment on him after watching him throughout the season. You can take it or leave it.

It's just strange that you would only measure a signing based on the amount he'll cost and which other clubs are after him, rather than keeping an open mind and giving the kid a chance, especially after you haven't seen him play at all. It's actually an utterly embarrassing position for you to take Ray. It genuinely makes you look like a spoilt brat, throwing tantrums because he's a signing from Swansea and the Championship.

Maybe just wait and see, yeah? I might be wrong, but at least I am basing my opinion on him after actually seeing him play consistently.

Anyway, I'm done now. Thought I'd offer my two pennies' worth, maybe some will find it helpful. Bye.
:clap: :clap: Well said t.d. and glad to see you posting again (Y)

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:15 am

One of the points i was making is that Ole has NOW decided he wants up and coming(cheap) plyers
At the end of last season he wanted to get rid of 3/4 of the team and NOW he doesnt
It makes you wonder who is whispering what in his ear
We should have no requirement to buy young and upcoming players.We had a youth policy in place that served this club brilliantly since 1945 before it was dismantled to save a few pounds.With Ricky being fired last month with no replacement and Nicky Butts boys having no changing room you can see where the youth policy rates so the idea of developing youth does not stack up
Despite LVG and Jose telling you all and subsequently proving it,about how this club works how you can get automatically excited about a young player nobody wanted is beyond me.I am happy to wait and see but to give him the fanfare td did before saying goodbye,is optimistic to say the least
There is huge gap between playing at Swansea level and Manchester City/Liverpool level.
Maybe he will make it(i hope) but the odds are not in his favour.If they were other teams would at least have had a nibble at him

This final bit could possible be better in the transfer debate but the summer is marching on
The neutral observer,of which we are a part would surely strongly suggest one top centre hal(de Ligt quality),One Roy Keane type player in midfield and one top wide man as a minimum in this window with more ambition to follow.
Wait and see

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:54 am

t.d. wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:38 pm
Given his versatility in attack, I wouldn't be surprised if he was used on either flank, and I think the wing is his best position. He prefers to play on the left despite being right footed. He'll cut in on his right, and is quite effective at it. I can't see him playing much through the middle at United, if at all (unless as cover). I imagine Ole would want to sign a dedicated CF for that role. I would personally play him on the left.

I mentioned that he's good at doing his defensive duties, but he's very attack-minded. So for him to be as effective as he can he will need a lot of freedom, which would require a solid defense and midfield...A creative midfielder to spot his runs, etc, obviously. He struck up a good understanding with McBurnie at Swansea. McBurnie often dropped deep and linked up play well with the wingers. I think, though, that with talented players they will get along with each other. It's just all about building up an understanding.

I'm very excited to see how he will continue his development at United. He's very young, he's raw, but he's talented and has a level head. With proper coaching from Ole and Phelan (and Giggs with Wales...), I'm confident he'll turn into a great success. I would say that £15m is a fair price, and if an extra £3m needs to be paid in bonuses then it would have been worth it.

Wales are away to Croatia tomorrow and James will likely feature.
Cheers for the info, looking forward to seeing him.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Glorio wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm
Relly wrote:

You may be disappointed because this is the approach the club appear to be taking now - Ole actually said it before the end of the season. They seem to be more interested in buying up and comers who are hungry and fit the clubs ethos (whatever that is - appears to be hardworking, fit, and pacy) as opposed to the recent approach of star names who don't seem to be bothered or fit enough to play the style Ole wants.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I do hope that we'll look for one or two quality players in their prime as well to complement all this.
Personally I would go inbetween those two extremes. Our new approach will be buying unknown/little known players and pray for the best, prior to this it's mostly been buying big name (hate to say it but it's true, shirt selling) cast offs from big clubs. I would like to go the approach of buying players on the younger side, to middle of their career aged players coming from teams/leagues a tier down or so, who have progressed to the top of that level and ready for a new challenge. The two clubs following this approach the best are Tottenham and Liverpool. Most of the players those two teams have signed (and their managers for that matter) were mostly players I had hoped we signed and a lot of people deemed them not good enough for United.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 am

Daniel James is not an "unknown"
He played a full season in England that even here in Australia we had access to. He's a full international as well.
As for other teams in for him, Chelsea had the deal just about wrapped up until they got banned from signing players.

Rather pathetic and sad this is our take on a guy that's done nothing wrong other than live his dream. I'm glad to see us go out and try find good young British prospects rather than mercenary many birth canals who have no desire being at this club or showing any pride in playing for it other than collecting their pay cheques week in week out.

The problem is what else are we going to sign, but this boy looks very exciting, and I'd say we'd be in a fornicate good position if we had taken a similar risk with James Maddison last year. Can only imagine the cries in here if we had done that.

He worked harder in the one game against City, both on and off the ball, than Martial did all fornicate year.

We need to sign other players... badly. But that's not on James. And it's not on Ole either. Best of luck to the boy, I really hope he succeeds here

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:57 am

Sandies wrote:
He played a full season in England that even here in Australia we had access to. He's a full international as well.
As for other teams in for him, Chelsea had the deal just about wrapped up until they got banned from signing players.

Rather pathetic and sad this is our take on a guy that's done nothing wrong other than live his dream. I'm glad to see us go out and try find good young British prospects rather than mercenary many birth canals who have no desire being at this club or showing any pride in playing for it other than collecting their pay cheques week in week out.

The problem is what else are we going to sign, but this boy looks very exciting, and I'd say we'd be in a fornicate good position if we had taken a similar risk with James Maddison last year. Can only imagine the cries in here if we had done that.

He worked harder in the one game against City, both on and off the ball, than Martial did all fornicate year.

We need to sign other players... badly. But that's not on James. And it's not on Ole either. Best of luck to the boy, I really hope he succeeds here
I agree with all you say but i would ask one question
If its not on Ole then who is it on
Where is the director of football
Are you suggesting Ole is not buying the players he wants.You would be correct by the way imo
Its still Ed Woodward isnt it who is doing the buying helped by that other football genius Matt Judge

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:23 pm

I've agreed with you 100 times that Woodward is making footballing decisions and he has no fornicate idea.

But I have no issue with this James signing. He looks like a grounded lad itching for a chance and I'm excited to see what he can do. I rate it higher than signing another mercenary who's here for the social media profile and the pay check

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Currently on holiday in Rome so didnt watch the Wales game
I am told that James did not get a kick so unfair to say any more than he didnt know how to, nor did he get the chance to influence the game.
So much for saying the lad is a full International
Its like saying that Danny Higginbottom was a United player and a full international
Well he played one game for Gilbraltar!!
And he was a shit player
You have to give the lad chance but i would have been excited at the signing of de Ligt.Now that is a full international AND a prospect and will be around a top club,and not United for at least 10 years
I think i go back to original statement,for James, of wait that was put alongside my other statement of shirt seller
Talking of which i see by reading the Sunday papers online that there are strong rumours that we have offered #25m to take Bale on a seasons loan
If that IS true then i assume nobody would deny it was not a footballing choice but a shirt selling choice
Remember it is only a rumour either by papers trying to sell or Uniteds spin doctor testing the shirt selling waters but what are your thoughts

What do you think td and where is Sigmar
You cannnot just have an opinion on one player,because he is Welsh,like you, and then vanish

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Sandies wrote:

He played in the championship, saying he played in England is true, but very misleading.

We're chasing around 4 teams now, aside from the sugar daddy clubs, City and Chelsea, we now have to contend with Tottenham and Liverpool who are well put together teams of talented players with very talented managers. Do you honestly believe this kid who played one season in the second tier is going to close that gulf between us and those other clubs?

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”