Next Match: Image
Internazionale in a Pre-Season Friendly.
Saturday 20th July 2019, KO 12:30 BST.
Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

VAR

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 am

This week alone we've seen some great instances of VAR changing a Ref's mind.
On Tuesday Barca failed to be awarded a penalty in the game against United when VAR proved Fred played the ball and not the man.

More astonishingly VAR stopped City progressing to the semi-finals of the ECL when VAR proved a goal to be off side.

Now we have seen how this is being used, is the game better for it or not ?

Personally I think that it's use has improved the game and taken the burden off the shoulders of the Ref in contentious situations, it is an asset, I'm also glad to see that it is not being used to decide normal run of the mill decisions and that the Ref still has a large amount of control over the game.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: VAR

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:18 am

Sigmar wrote:
On Tuesday Barca failed to be awarded a penalty in the game against United when VAR proved Fred played the ball and not the man.

More astonishingly VAR stopped City progressing to the semi-finals of the ECL when VAR proved a goal to be off side.

Personally I think that it's use has improved the game and taken the burden off the shoulders of the Ref in contentious situations, it is an asset, I'm also glad to see that it is not being used to decide normal run of the mill decisions and that the Ref still has a large amount of control over the game.
Great conversation topic

My opinion is that it is supremely benificial in offside decisions like we saw last last night
In the modern game the players move so fast that it is impossible to judge hen a defender sprinting out crosses a forward sprinting in
VAR gets it completely right
Also we saw it with United last week when there was a goal against us ruled out for offside which was wrong
The lineman was watching the centre fprward with the centre half(as indeed i was) and missed the full back playing him on

Where the problem is and it does need clearing up is handball
I watched the Spurs goal last night about 50 times and i still don't know if it hit his hand before his thigh
And if it did was it handball as he was in a "natural position" and what does it mean "did he gain an advantage?"
Clarity across the board is needed on hand balls

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:21 pm

I do not think VAR can help in cases where subjectivity plays a part of the call; hand ball, simulation, late hit or dangerous plays. However, the ball crossing the goal line or offside, then VAR is a great tool and for me the bottom line is that the correct team will be semis because technology made the right call.

Used correctly VAR will be a great benefit for the game but I do not want to see the game turned into a NFL where every challenge is questioned and autopsied.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:33 pm

Guardiola's at the wheel
tell me how good did it feel?
When Sterling scored right at the death
But the goal was ruled out by the ref
Der der de-de-de-de-der
The greatest invention by far
is VAR
:dance:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:03 am

raycreative wrote:
Sigmar wrote:

Great conversation topic

My opinion is that it is supremely benificial in offside decisions like we saw last last night
In the modern game the players move so fast that it is impossible to judge hen a defender sprinting out crosses a forward sprinting in
VAR gets it completely right
Also we saw it with United last week when there was a goal against us ruled out for offside which was wrong
The lineman was watching the centre fprward with the centre half(as indeed i was) and missed the full back playing him on

I watched the Spurs goal last night about 50 times and i still don't know if it hit his hand before his thigh
And if it did was it handball as he was in a "natural position" and what does it mean "did he gain an advantage?"
Spot on, but they have clarified the rule starting next year.

Personally I believe VAR has got the 2 handballs right in our PSG game and Spurs City game.

Where VAR is wrong is when you still get a cowardly ref not sending off Salah, so human error still remains

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:34 pm

raycreative wrote:
This is definitely a current issue, I believe there is supposed to be clarification on it in the summer, but it's not a binary thing like did it cross the line, so there will always be an element of subjectivity to it.

Return to “General Football”