Loading...
User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Benzema: Ronaldo's depature has let me be a leader, play 'true football'
play
The FC panel answer your tweets on how Diego Simeone would have reacted to Kepa's defiance, how Gareth Bale fits in at Real Madrid and more. (11:12)

1:52 PM
Ian Holyman
France correspondent
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
Cristiano Ronaldo's departure from Real Madrid last summer has given Karim Benzema the chance to play his "true football," the French forward has told France Football.

Ronaldo was the focal point of the Madrid attack from when he arrived in the Spanish capital -- at the same time as Benzema -- in 2009 until the Portuguese superstar headed for Juventus last summer.

Benzema, who had been a prodigy as a striker at Lyon, had often been seen as playing second fiddle to his prolific teammate, teeing up Ronaldo for a healthy portion of the more than 300 goals he netted in his time with the Spanish giants.

Now, it is Benzema who leads the line for Santiago Solari's side, and the 31-year-old could not be happier to have taken on extra responsibility with the 13-time European champions.


Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo led Real Madrid to four Champions League titles. Getty
"Before, there was a guy that scored more than 50 goals a season and I was in the role of a passer. Except that I had the No. 9 on my back. I didn't play centre-forward in fact, in spite of my position. I played in terms of Cristiano. We formed a great duo. I looked for him constantly with the aim of helping him score even more goals. I was in a secondary role.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

How to fix the Champions League
It's time to find a way to fix the Champions League -- or start a European super league.


Watch on ESPN networks in the U.S.
ESPN+ is America's home for a host of professional soccer leagues from around the world, highlighted by Italy's Serie A, Major League Soccer, UEFA Nations League and English FA Cup. | ESPN+ schedule

- Latest Champions League tables
- Upcoming group fixtures
- Champions League statistics
- All the latest UCL news
"Now, it's up to me to show I want to score, that I want to carry the team. And that's what I like. It's actually what I did at Lyon. I said to myself that I had to take that to Madrid, but even better. And that's the case now," explained Benzema, who has scored 20 times in 40 competitive outings for his club this season.

"When I came to Madrid, I had to change my way of playing. I put myself at the service of a guy who -- I say again -- scored 50 goals a season. And it was a pleasure to play with him. Now, I'm the leader of the attack. It's up to me to make the difference. I am very happy, because I can play my true football."

While Ronaldo is way ahead at the top of the Champions League all-time scorers' chart, Benrema's four strikes in the competition this term have eased him into fourth place in the prestigious ranking, 11 goals behind another Madrid legend, Raul.


"That shows that I scored goals before and at important moments, because the Champions League, even when an opponent seems to be less good, is always tough. Seeing myself in this position makes me very proud and motivates me to go further, which means catching the legend that is Raul," said the Frenchman, who has 60 goals to Raul's 71. "I don't think about statistics when I'm on the pitch, I'm not obsessed by that. But the consequence of my play is that I can go a little more into the history of Real Madrid if I catch Raul.

"But that will come by playing my game, not by listening to those who say, 'Think more about yourself.' No, no, I respect football. I say to myself, 'Make runs, open up play, play passes and you'll be rewarded sooner or later.'"

He added: "Of course, it's good to score goals to make your team win, but if you can give it victory another way, that's also good. I really regret that today we talk more about statistics, the number of goals and chances, than your play. For me, football is above all a game. It's not only statistics. It's not basketball! You go to see a football match for moves, one-twos, shots, no-look passes...Football has to remain a show. I've thought of football like that since I was very small."


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:41 pm

I found this very interesting because I have always said that about our team. In Ronaldo's last two seasons he was phenomenal, however we were totally a one man team. After Ronaldo left we were no worse off, maybe even better, because the whole team was given room to shine. Just look at goals for Rooney before and after.


"Make America Great Again!"

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 pm

We are all happy for Benzema too Relly!


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 pm

What a nice leader Benzema is, maybe now that Ronaldo is gone he can blackmail more teammates


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks you two for reminding me why I don't post anymore.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6231
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Relly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:41 pm
I found this very interesting because I have always said that about our team. In Ronaldo's last two seasons he was phenomenal, however we were totally a one man team. After Ronaldo left we were no worse off, maybe even better, because the whole team was given room to shine. Just look at goals for Rooney before and after.
I have always thought that the best players do not always win, however the best team does. When Ronaldo left I felt we were a better all around TEAM.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:14 am

Relly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm
Thanks you two for reminding me why I don't post anymore.
Didn't Ronaldo pass up the opportunity at a hattrick to give a penalty to Benzema after the crowd was booing him for his poor performances


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm
Relly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:41 pm
I found this very interesting because I have always said that about our team. In Ronaldo's last two seasons he was phenomenal, however we were totally a one man team. After Ronaldo left we were no worse off, maybe even better, because the whole team was given room to shine. Just look at goals for Rooney before and after.
I have always thought that the best players do not always win, however the best team does. When Ronaldo left I felt we were a better all around TEAM.
Were we? How many times have we won the league since? How are Madrid going since he left? How is their culture since he left?
The rep Ronaldo gets is fornicate remarkable considering his attitude to football. If our young players put in half the effort he did we'd be up there with the best of them


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:01 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm
Relly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:41 pm
I found this very interesting because I have always said that about our team. In Ronaldo's last two seasons he was phenomenal, however we were totally a one man team. After Ronaldo left we were no worse off, maybe even better, because the whole team was given room to shine. Just look at goals for Rooney before and after.
I have always thought that the best players do not always win, however the best team does. When Ronaldo left I felt we were a better all around TEAM.
Ronaldo was a beast those two seasons, but our game was counter attack, get the ball to Ronaldo, he'd bomb down the left and score. He was impressive, but the rest of that team were just support players. Rooney more then double his previous few seasons goals the season after Ronaldo left. I'm not on my home computer, so it's to tedious to look up, but i remember researching it in the past and a lot of other players output increased.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Don't get me wrong, in the end I'm glad Ronaldo did play for us, and for his sake, i think Fergie was very instrumental in his career.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6231
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Sandies wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:16 am
ArizonaRed wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm
Relly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:41 pm
I found this very interesting because I have always said that about our team. In Ronaldo's last two seasons he was phenomenal, however we were totally a one man team. After Ronaldo left we were no worse off, maybe even better, because the whole team was given room to shine. Just look at goals for Rooney before and after.
I have always thought that the best players do not always win, however the best team does. When Ronaldo left I felt we were a better all around TEAM.
Were we? How many times have we won the league since? How are Madrid going since he left? How is their culture since he left?
The rep Ronaldo gets is fornicate remarkable considering his attitude to football. If our young players put in half the effort he did we'd be up there with the best of them
Since Ronaldo left, I have to think of United in two different ways, the Sir Alex years and the time of pestilence since he left. In the four years after Ronaldo left United won two league titles and came second the other two time, that’s not too bad by whatever yardstick you want to use. Since Sir Alex left; I do not think even Ronaldo (or Messi) could have help those teams.

I take your point about Ronaldo’s work ethic to make hisself the best footballer in the world, and his record at Real Madrid will stand up against just about anyone’s. However, to get the best from Ronaldo (or Messi for that matter) he must be nucleus of the team, while that works at Real Madrid, I personally want to see a total team effort and not being so dependent on a single player.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Seriously, look at what you are saying. A team can't function because they have the best player in the world you should build around.

The reality is, those 2 years we didn't win the league, we would've won it by 15+ if we had Ronaldo.

If you're going to be having a go at a player for not allowing others to prosper, then why not Messi who's had 4 top quality players leave Barcelona now and complain he's impossible to work with and you have no role at the club if he doesn't like you. But you don't because it's fornicate ludicrous.

Wasn't it Benzema who needed Ronaldo to hand him a penalty to finally score so the crowd stop booing him. Ronaldo won them 4 Champions Leagues, played with the youngsters after training, took Nani into his home to help him settle, coached Portugal from the bench when he got injured. This idea that he is toxic for his teammates is remarkable.


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 8936
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm

I mean it's certainly true that players might block the development of others. United didn't get the best out of Andy Cole until Cantona retired.

But, if you have Cantona, why wouldn't you build everything around him?


Image

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6231
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Dante wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm
I mean it's certainly true that players might block the development of others. United didn't get the best out of Andy Cole until Cantona retired.

But, if you have Cantona, why wouldn't you build everything around him?
I am not saying that developing a team around Ronaldo is wrong; Real Madrid brought in players who would specifically suit the style of play best suited to Ronaldo and the results where almost unreal. I am saying that on a personnel level I preferer my football to be played as a total team game where goals come from multiple players rather than being totally dependent on a single player.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:38 pm
Dante wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm
I mean it's certainly true that players might block the development of others. United didn't get the best out of Andy Cole until Cantona retired.

But, if you have Cantona, why wouldn't you build everything around him?
I am not saying that developing a team around Ronaldo is wrong; Real Madrid brought in players who would specifically suit the style of play best suited to Ronaldo and the results where almost unreal. I am saying that on a personnel level I preferer my football to be played as a total team game where goals come from multiple players rather than being totally dependent on a single player.
They won 4 champions leagues in 5/6 years.
Its ridiculous to say they didn't play as a team. They had a fornicate good keeper. They had the best central defensive pairing in Europe. They had the best left back in Europe. They had a very very good right back.
They had the 2 best midfielders in the world. They had the second best defensive midfielder in the world. They had the most expensive player in football on the bench because Isco was even better than he was. So they were a pretty great side.

They were only dependant on that single player to score goals, because the striker they had in the team was poor and struggling. A lot. So no surprise really Benzema is glad Ronaldo is gone. Blame his troubles on the guy who actually performed for his team. Despite the fact, as proven earlier, Ronaldo was a fornicate good teammate to him. (and again, something Benzema has no fornicate clue about)


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6231
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Sandies - In your own words:
Sandies wrote:Were we? How many times have we won the league since? How are Madrid going since he left? How is their culture since he left?
I don't follow La LIga but the implication from your quote is that Real Madrid are not doing too well, sort of understandable when any team looses the player the team was built around. But with the host of world class players you listed why can't they pick up the pieces without Ronaldo?

For every story about:
Sandies wrote:Ronaldo pass up the opportunity at a hattrick to give a penalty to Benzema after the crowd was booing him for his poor performances
there are endless stories about Ronaldo not being happy at Real Madrid:
2012 - http://global.espn.com/football/news/st ... eal-madrid
2016 - http://www.espn.com/soccer/real-madrid/ ... el?src=com
2018 - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... nsfer-news
2019 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyrmEKIyOSQ

If you want to canonize Ronaldo or appoint him as the best team player ever, that's your prerogative, so go for it. For me he will alway be one of the very best individuals who has ever played the game, but IMO he considered individual recognition (Ballon d'Or) more important than team victories.


I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

User avatar
Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:22 pm

My lasting memory of him is seeing him lying face down in the rain bawling hie eyes out because he though he had missed his chance of going to Real when he missed that penalty against Chelsea.

He was a birth canal, but he was our birth canal.
Never forgave him for getting his 'Best mate' sent off in the World Cup, was only a team player when it benefited him.


Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

User avatar
raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am

My many lasting memories of him are all around the many great games and the many great goals he scored
To say he is a birth canal but he is our birth canal is like saying the same about Denis Law as he both joined City and then scored a back heel against us in the season we went down

My other question is the obvious one
"Whatever happened to the £80m that United got for Ronaldo?".
I assume it has a sun tan in the Caymans :laugh: :laugh:



User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Sandies wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm
Seriously, look at what you are saying. A team can't function because they have the best player in the world you should build around.

The reality is, those 2 years we didn't win the league, we would've won it by 15+ if we had Ronaldo.

If you're going to be having a go at a player for not allowing others to prosper, then why not Messi who's had 4 top quality players leave Barcelona now and complain he's impossible to work with and you have no role at the club if he doesn't like you. But you don't because it's fornicate ludicrous.

Wasn't it Benzema who needed Ronaldo to hand him a penalty to finally score so the crowd stop booing him. Ronaldo won them 4 Champions Leagues, played with the youngsters after training, took Nani into his home to help him settle, coached Portugal from the bench when he got injured. This idea that he is toxic for his teammates is remarkable.
Personnally I was saying it more in terms of the quality and entertainment value of our football. This has been considered a high priority for the last few years, so don't tell at that time it was fine watching one guy, doing all the work, with virtually just a handful of methods. He was extremely effective, but it didn't make for good team football or particularly entertaining football.


"Make America Great Again!"

User avatar
Relly
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6372
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:02 pm

raycreative wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am
My many lasting memories of him are all around the many great games and the many great goals he scored
To say he is a birth canal but he is our birth canal is like saying the same about Denis Law as he both joined City and then scored a back heel against us in the season we went down

My other question is the obvious one
"Whatever happened to the £80m that United got for Ronaldo?".
I assume it has a sun tan in the Caymans :laugh: :laugh:
Who cares, that's a different discussion.

But Ronaldo was absolutely a birth canal in his last few years. Does the word slave ring a bell? I've gotten over it and he will go down in my memory as the best individual player I have seen, but his #1 priority was always Ronaldo.


"Make America Great Again!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 am

Relly wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm
Sandies wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm
Seriously, look at what you are saying. A team can't function because they have the best player in the world you should build around.

The reality is, those 2 years we didn't win the league, we would've won it by 15+ if we had Ronaldo.

If you're going to be having a go at a player for not allowing others to prosper, then why not Messi who's had 4 top quality players leave Barcelona now and complain he's impossible to work with and you have no role at the club if he doesn't like you. But you don't because it's fornicate ludicrous.

Wasn't it Benzema who needed Ronaldo to hand him a penalty to finally score so the crowd stop booing him. Ronaldo won them 4 Champions Leagues, played with the youngsters after training, took Nani into his home to help him settle, coached Portugal from the bench when he got injured. This idea that he is toxic for his teammates is remarkable.
Personnally I was saying it more in terms of the quality and entertainment value of our football. This has been considered a high priority for the last few years, so don't tell at that time it was fine watching one guy, doing all the work, with virtually just a handful of methods. He was extremely effective, but it didn't make for good team football or particularly entertaining football.
The 07/08 season we played some of the best football this club has ever seen. The trio of Ronaldo Rooney Tevez was glorious. There really wasn't much to complain about.


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:19 pm
Sandies - In your own words:
Sandies wrote:Were we? How many times have we won the league since? How are Madrid going since he left? How is their culture since he left?
I don't follow La LIga but the implication from your quote is that Real Madrid are not doing too well, sort of understandable when any team looses the player the team was built around. But with the host of world class players you listed why can't they pick up the pieces without Ronaldo?

For every story about:
Sandies wrote:Ronaldo pass up the opportunity at a hattrick to give a penalty to Benzema after the crowd was booing him for his poor performances
there are endless stories about Ronaldo not being happy at Real Madrid:
2012 - http://global.espn.com/football/news/st ... eal-madrid
2016 - http://www.espn.com/soccer/real-madrid/ ... el?src=com
2018 - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... nsfer-news
2019 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyrmEKIyOSQ

If you want to canonize Ronaldo or appoint him as the best team player ever, that's your prerogative, so go for it. For me he will alway be one of the very best individuals who has ever played the game, but IMO he considered individual recognition (Ballon d'Or) more important than team victories.
1. Amazing how those dates of stories always add up to when a new contract is needed? Never seen Jorge Mendes deploy that tactic before
2. Amazing how Ronaldo always boasts about his 5 champions league wins. Amazing how he cried on the pitch at Moscow because he just won a ballon d'or


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:23 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 am

Wonder if Benzema is still enjoying " playing his true football" and "leading the line" now that Ronaldo is gone :think:


Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Goat continues to eat


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:20 am

Re: It's Ronaldo or the Team

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 am

But the team continues to suffer though. He will be advancing to the QF and the team will be left in Turin.....


"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Return to “General Football”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users