Next Match: Image
Liverpool in the Premier League.
Sunday 16th December 2018, KO 16:00 UTC.
Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Bale’s come and get me plea

Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Those words after the final will have a lot of teams interested, wonder where he will end up?
I’m sure Jose will be interested but I reckon so will Spurs

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Bale’s come and get me plea

Sun May 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Hopefully he goes to Spurs

"Make America Great Again!"

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sun May 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Ah Relly, always such a ray of sunshine :D

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun May 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Primarily another left sided forward fighting for a spot in an already over-crowded, not worth it for me.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Sun May 27, 2018 6:18 pm

I agree unless we let someone go like Martial and play him, Lukaku and Sanchez up top as a 3 but I think spurs would be the right move for him and them.
City is too crowded too, Liverpool are settled which leaves Chelsea who could be an option or Spurs but they would have to break their pay structure, can’t see him going to Arsenal.

Either way he would turn Chelsea or Spurs into serious title contenders

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 pm

Devil Pikney wrote:
You want to pay 80 mil for a permacrok that plays in a position that we are already overstocked? It would be another purchase for the sake of purchasing someone available that in no way fits into the team or really improves us. Its what almost every signing we have made since Fergie left has been about and how has that worked so far?

"Make America Great Again!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sun May 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Bale's left footed, but he actually plays on the right. I think we need that position more than anything. None of our forwards have the ability to play on the right. Whether it's Bale or someone else it should be one of our targets

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 am

Bale plays on the right for RM because he cannot unseat Ronaldo from the left side - who could. We need wide players who are the same foot as the side they are playing, we already have far too many players who's only move is to cut back inside to their natural foot.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Mon May 28, 2018 1:34 am

Relly wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 pm
Devil Pikney wrote:
You want to pay 80 mil for a permacrok that plays in a position that we are already overstocked? It would be another purchase for the sake of purchasing someone available that in no way fits into the team or really improves us. Its what almost every signing we have made since Fergie left has been about and how has that worked so far?
Cool down brother :D
I never said that I wanted us to buy him or for that matter, that I didn't want us to.
But its been a while since I've seen you post anything even slightly positive and so I guess I had a little dig at your expense ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure that it makes sense for us to buy any attacking player until Mourinho gets his shit together regarding our offense. If we're going to continue as we have this past season, then no, buying Bale would be a waste of time. If however, Mourinho removed his head from his ass, recognized that maybe his preferred style no longer works, and adapts said style to energize our attack while maintaining the every man defends when necessary work ethic that his past teams used to have, then I think with some shuffling of the pack, that Bale just could turn out to be a decent buy.
He might be able to play in different positions but the left side was always where he did his best work at Spurs and he hasn't really had a chance to play there much since he left Spurs.
Guess we'll have to wait and see whether the Special One can admit to himself that just maybe he's not gotten it quite right this time.

And anyway, you've probably realized by now that I have a bit of a soft spot for left sided Welsh wingers :P

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Dante
Referee
Referee

Mon May 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Had we not bought Sanchez, I'd have said to go for it, but since we do have him, I'm not sure Bale is a good idea.

In theory, we could play Bale and Sanchez either side of Lukaku, but then what do you do with Lingard, Martial and Rashford, let alone the other players who can play behind the striker or wide?

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Tue May 29, 2018 6:06 am

He scored a fantastic goal in the UCL final, but too injury prone
Probably not worth the price tag. If he was a free agent then I'd be all for it.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue May 29, 2018 3:12 pm

I don't know if I'd say he's injury prone. He's had a few over the last couple of seasons, but he's also just been left out a lot, which gives the impression he's out longer than he is.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue May 29, 2018 5:33 pm

We have more problem at the club than a single player is capable of fixing. I would rather see us spend on multiple players that upgrade position of need than a single "break the bank" signing that grabs headlines but doesn't help improve the team.

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu May 31, 2018 2:35 pm

I agree with that. If Jose doesn't fix the central midfield and almost the entire defence, then I believe we will not be in contention for any major trophies!

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:51 am

Fred is on his way so midfield sorted hopefully

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 am

Sandies wrote:Fred is on his way so midfield sorted hopefully
Midfield rather just started to get sorted.

UNITED > ENGLAND

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 am

It would seem that Fred is an attacking player. another Pogba? I'm not sure how long we going to dance around the number 6 position which is the major source of our problems.

dbecks07
International Player
International Player

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:52 am

They say he is more box to box, so will work with Matic and Pogba...more with Matic to free up Pogba

But I havent seen him play, so will have to check the Tube :)

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:12 pm

From what I saw he looks more like the ball carrier. My big issue with the team is the ball winner ala Kante/Busquets/ etc. Our transitioning is hopelessly too slow and its whats killing our attacking midfielders/ball carriers.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Since his arrival at United my biggest surprise with Mourinho’s teams has been that they do not try and control the transition game. Every other team that he has been associated with this has been a characteristic that had defined his playing style; as soon as his teams have turned the ball over someone is immediately pressuring the ball and looking to get it ball back or at the very least harass the ball carrier and slow down the opposition. At other clubs when his teams create a turnover the first action is to look long and get a forward breaking to the opponents’ goal, these are cheap goals that can win game for us and we have the personnel (Lukaku, Rashford, Martial and Sanchez) who would excel at that style of play. But for whatever reason this has not happened with United, rather than attacking the ball, we are not likely to fall back into defensive lines, rather than looking to go straight on the attack we are more likely to make the safe pass, usually backward, and set the offense up slowly.

Maybe it’s a lack of trust in our defenders or midfielders and once he gets the players he wants in the positions he want we will see a more attacking style of football. This is year 3 in the Mourinho era and even a manager with his pedigree will only be given so much time and money before has has to be showing results.

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Spot on. Matic' influence and dominance in midfield has diminished considerably. I recall one game against Chelsea where he actually asserted himself and we played fantastic, front foot, attacking football. But for some reason he has played as a third central defender probably for the reasons you mention.

Return to “General Football”