Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Suarez open to move for Champions League football

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 am

Luis Suárez at a press conference in Montevideo, where he is preparing for Uruguay's World Cup qualifier with Paraguay. Photograph: Miguel Rojo/AFP/Getty Images
Luis Suárez has put Europe's top clubs on alert after saying he would consider any offers from Champions League teams this summer. Bayern Munich and Juventus are among several clubs linked with a move for the Liverpool striker, and Manchester City's manager, Roberto Mancini, has spoken publicly of his interest.

Suárez reiterated that he is "very happy' at Anfield but said that, if another team "with more prospects of competing in international club competition games" approached him, "they are very welcome".

The Uruguayan's comments are likely to spark a fierce battle for his signature in time for next season. Suárez has been in superb form for Liverpool during this campaign, with 29 goals in 40 games, but admitted that, with the club in danger of missing out on European qualification, they are in a "difficult moment". He is under contract at Liverpool until 2017.

"I am very happy at Liverpool but you never know in football," said Suárez, speaking in his homeland before Uruguay's World Cup qualifier with Paraguay on Friday, in comments reported by the Liverpool Echo.

"A player's ambition is always there, the ambition of wanting to play in elite teams is always there. I'm in a world-class team, an elite team like Liverpool. We have to realise we have a new manager who is imposing a philosophy and a way of playing that the players are adapting to as best we can. We hope it will bear fruit next year.

"If another team comes around with more prospects of competing in international club competition games, which is willing to have me, they are welcome. We would talk to the club. We would see if I want to go, if I don't want to go."

Last month Liverpool's manager, Brendan Rodgers, said he was convinced that Suárez would stay even if the club failed to qualify for Europe. His comments came after face-to-face talks with the player's agent, Pere Guardiola.

He has admitted, though, that he expects interest in a player he has described as "world class" and deserving of appearances in the Champions League.

Suárez, who joined Liverpool for £23m in January 2011 from Ajax, acknowledged on Wednesday his behaviour had let him down at times during his career but insisted he had made a conscious effort this season to clean up his act on the pitch.

"I have a very strange way of playing football," Suárez said. "I'm my own severest critic and I realise when I make mistakes.

"There are times that I get yellow cards that can influence a game. I have improved and I have to continue improving.

"You can lose some things but you can never lose the slyness, the passion that you have had since you were a kid playing in the street. If I didn't have the character that I have today on the pitch, I don't think that I would have become the player that I am today."
Hate him or love him, you must realise he is a great player, albeit a diving, cheating, racist, ratfaced, bucktoothed wanker.

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Suarez open to move for Champions League football

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 am

he is good. he's a bit overrated at the moment though, people calling him world class after 1 season.

Make football fabulous again!

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 am

I would say he's on the verge.
Its not really 1 season.
He was great last season too, tore us apart, or was that the season before last?

100% Top Red

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:15 am

I realised the other day who he reminds me of...

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 am

Steve wrote:I would say he's on the verge.
Its not really 1 season.
He was great last season too, tore us apart, or was that the season before last?
he's in the process of making that claim but he isn't there yet. last season he wasn't, he had a few good moment but not consistently. didn't score that many goals either for a striker.

it took ronaldo two brilliant seasons to get the bestowed 'world class' label, don't see why suarez should get it after one. it's only been this season he's been on the kryptonite really. it's the consistency that really makes a player great.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 am

Yeah I just looked at his goalscoring record and apart from this season its shite.
Didn't realise tbh

100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 am

Last season he was awful, read something that he averaged 7 "open" shots per game and scored about 10 goals. He had a 10 game spell where he had 56 shots and scored 0 goals. Hes definitely upped his game this season though. This is obviously also ignoring the fact hes one of the biggest cheats in the game and singlehandedly ruined the world wide reputation of a very famous club and its manager

He now claims he was lost in translation, Not the first time thats happened with him

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 pm

I feel like this is a negotiating ploy...

Follow me on Twitter: @ScottASpecht

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:13 pm

If anyone suggests we shpuld be trying to sign him, then I have my banning finger ready :P

Seriously though, he is a quality player but the faults of the man outweigh the virtues of the player IMO. Can you imagine if he won the Player of the Year award, what sort of example that would set to youngsters across the land??

He's at the perfect club as far as I am concerned, unles he joined Leeds :P

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:35 pm

RedSte wrote:If anyone suggests we shpuld be trying to sign him, then I have my banning finger ready :P

Seriously though, he is a quality player but the faults of the man outweigh the virtues of the player IMO.  Can you imagine if he won the Player of the Year award, what sort of example that would set to youngsters across the land??

He's at the perfect club as far as I am concerned, unles he joined Leeds :P
For the talent, yes I would be happy to have him here. Fact of the matter is he's a birth canal. I dislike many birth canals (in the sense that I'm talking) therefore don't want them playing for my team.

100% Top Red

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 am

Can't see him going bayern, they already have gomez and mandzukic.. however he does seem like a guardiola type player.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:26 am

actually he seems a Madrid type player :P

they could sign him to replace Ronaldo when we buy him back ;)

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:51 am

Would be a sad day for our club if he ever wore our shirt

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I would have him at our club tomorrow.He has shaken hands with Evra,lets move on.

Heroes come and go.A Legend is forever.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Bird Dog wrote:I would have him at our club tomorrow.He has shaken hands with Evra,lets move on.

100% Top Red

Bird Dog
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Urgh,changed my mind. :roll: :lol:

Heroes come and go.A Legend is forever.

mikey
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 pm

I wouldn't be averse to signing Suarez either bird dog (why are you called bird dog? Always puzzles me that haha).

I know he's a two hat but I think he's one of those players you'd love if they were playing for your team. Don't forget in the past we've had our own share of nasty bastards. Treble 99's good friend Paddy wasn't the cleanest of players. I also think that Fergie might iron much of the snidey stuff out of his game.

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 am

Please no :roll:

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Martin wrote:
Steve wrote:I would say he's on the verge.
Its not really 1 season.
he's in the process of making that claim but he isn't there yet. last season he wasn't, he had a few good moment but not consistently. didn't score that many goals either for a striker.

it took ronaldo two brilliant seasons to get the bestowed 'world class' label, don't see why suarez should get it after one. it's only been this season he's been on the kryptonite really. it's the consistency that really makes a player great.
I am pretty sure it was just a couple of stepovers verses Bolton and his "world class" stature began.

"Make America Great Again!"

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:01 am

mikey wrote:I wouldn't be averse to signing Suarez either bird dog (why are you called bird dog? Always puzzles me that haha).

I know he's a two hat but I think he's one of those players you'd love if they were playing for your team. Don't forget in the past we've had our own share of nasty bastards. Treble 99's good friend Paddy wasn't the cleanest of players. I also think that Fergie might iron much of the snidey stuff out of his game.
it was the less popular and far darker predecesser to the excellent childrens's cartoon 'cat-dog'. in the show the bird becomes clinically depressed as his freedom to fly wherever he pleases is greatly restricted due to the fact that dogs are quite heavy. ultimately our feathered friend brings about his own untimely end using a garden hose and his vauxhall astra. the producers thought this too much for young children and so replaced it with the much more lighthearted combination of a cat and canine.

our internet friend bird dog names himself thus in honour of this cartoon. he feels he can relate to the dark depths of the story as often in his life he feels as if he is a trapped bird unable to fly away, always dragged down by others. also he engaed in brief ownership of a vauxhall corsa when he was 19 which he feels is close enough really. i think

FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Mushy peas wrote:
mikey wrote:I wouldn't be averse to signing Suarez either bird dog (why are you called bird dog? Always puzzles me that haha).

it was the  less popular and far darker predecesser to the excellent childrens's cartoon 'cat-dog'. in the show the bird becomes clinically depressed as his freedom to fly wherever he pleases is greatly restricted due to the fact that dogs are quite heavy. ultimately our feathered friend brings about his own untimely end using a garden hose and his vauxhall astra. the producers thought this too much for young children and so replaced it with the much more lighthearted combination of a cat and canine.

our internet friend bird dog names himself thus in honour of this cartoon. he feels he can relate to the dark depths of the story as often in his life he feels as if he is a trapped bird unable to fly away, always dragged down by others. also he engaed in brief ownership of a vauxhall corsa when he was 19 which he feels is close enough really. i think
:lol: ffs

thats way better than Martins guy who reviewed a wolf tshirt (Y)

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Relly wrote:I am pretty sure it was just a couple of stepovers verses Bolton and his "world class" stature began.
na can't agree there. one trick pony, no end product etc...

on the subject of ronaldo i've just realised his game now is the polar opposite of his game 10 years ago.

he was all skill, showboating and fancy flicks and tricks but zero end product. now it's goals galore and zero showboating.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Martin wrote:
Relly wrote:I am pretty sure it was just a couple of stepovers verses Bolton and his "world class" stature began.
na can't agree there. one trick pony, no end product etc...

on the subject of ronaldo i've just realised his game now is the polar opposite of his game 10 years ago.

he was all skill, showboating and fancy flicks and tricks but zero end product. now it's goals galore and zero showboating.
I didn't think he was, just a lot of fans acted like it, I was mocking them.

"Make America Great Again!"

Wendy
New Signing
New Signing

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:05 am

Would be a sad day for our club if he ever wore our football shirt

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Im not sure if theres a more recent thread on suarez or not BUT

Today Arsenal put in the 40 mil release clause on his contract
Apparently liverpool are unaware on what a release clause is,
but its ambition shown by Arsenal. Will be interesting to see if he goes there or waits for Real Madrid to come in for bid
Liverpool here are adamant hes not going anywhere but I cant see it

Tonight I was at the game, it couldnt be more clear he's off
95,000 fans going absolutely mental to see him and he didnt crack a smile. Gerrard, Agger, Johnson were all over the fans, Suarez was a spoilt kid who wanted to go home from the shopping center with his mommy
When he brilliantly set up the final goal and the others tried to come up to him to celebrate,he literally pushed them away and walked back to the middle.

On a side note on Suarez, last night the company I work for and liverpool signed a partnership. So in turn the kids we work with (about 100 of them) go to go to liverpools open training and go on the ground with them. (I will touch up on this in a post tomorrow when i give a quick little write up on my week with united and liverpool)
After training every single liverpool person on that pitch - from rodgers, to gerrard, to brad jones, to kolo toure, to ibe, would have spoken to all 100 kids and had a photo to every single one who asked. Suarez was the first one every single kid went to, the only one suarez spoke 2 was the disabled kid, had a photo and walked down the tunnel. Such a birth canal

Also a little bit of a snippet on him, however this one I didnt witness so its basically based on what my mate told me. He works in hospitality at the hotel theyre staying at. Since they arrived none of the liverpool players have really hung out with him or eaten with him. Hes a loaner. Either he's always been this way or theyre pissed at him. Glen Johnsons first words to him where : so were not good enough for you?
Hes either forcing himself out, or he'll owe the players one hell of an apology

Return to “General Football”