Condor
Academy Player
Academy Player

George Best

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:24 am

George Best
[hr][/hr]

A lot has been written about George but what do we really know? Here is my personal perspective.

George was my first hero. Long before replica shirts and iron-on numbers my Mom spent hours cutting out and sowing on a number 7 to my extra small red shirt... only to change it 3 or 4 times when I out grew the shirt and later when he moved to the 11 shirt late in his career.

No one ever wore the red shirt of Manchester United the way George Best wore it. Not only the prestige he brought to the shirt but the individuality. He always wore his shirt out and it always seemed to big for his frame as it flapped over his shorts and it appeared to radiate just that much brighter than anyone else's. Maybe that was just the admiration in my eyes.

More than thirty years after he last pulled on a Manchester United shirt, he retains a unique place in all the affections of those that had the pleasure of seeing him play the game. And he did play the game; the way it was intended to be played; with flair and speed and grace and skill.

George was so much more than just one of the greatest soccer players who ever lived. George was THE icon of Manchester United, British football and indeed the entire era of the swinging 1960s pop culture. He had the handsome looks, the appeal, money and lifestyle and became the world first football idol. A combination that worked for him for so long, but sadly, not long enough.

George Best was found playing on the streets of Belfast kicking tin cans and was lured to United as a 15-year-old schoolboy in 1961. He didn't last long though as he longed for his family and those streets and quickly went back home to Belfast with homesickness. Sir Matt Busby jumped on a plane and played the father figure role to persuade George to return. Sir Matt was later to say that he saw that George would become the lynch pin of the great United side which won the English league in 1965 and 1967 and the European Cup in 1968.

George made his United debut in the Manchester United first team at 17 on March 9th 1963. He gained his first international cap for Northern Island at 18 and went on to sparkle in brilliance for a decade in which he broke the mould of what footballers were supposed to be.

What made him so special was his electrifying speed, incredible change of pace, powerful shooting, the ability to fain and bedazzle defenders and the crowd alike with a drop of his shoulder or a sway of his hips. He loved to taunt defenders and he brought his personality to the field of play. He was also tenacious in the tackle, brave and fearless and possessed perfect balance.

Denis Law once said of George : `When I saw him on the training ground for the first time I knew he was something special and I was proved right. He broke into the first team at 17 and for the next 10 years was one of the best players the world has ever seen.'

Many associate 1968 as the pinnacle of Georges career. He won with United, their first, and English footballs first, European Cup with Best himself scored a dazzling solo goal in that final. George was also awarded both England's and Europe's Footballer of the Year. However it was two years earlier against Benfica that the legend of Georgie Best first materialised. In March 1966 he scored twice as Manchester United beat Benfica 5-1 in Lisbon in a European Cup quarter-final. Pictured wearing a huge sombrero-style hat when he returned home, the papers dubbed him `El Beatle.' In that one moment he became a legend and his life was never the same again.

In 1973, at the age of 27 his first-class career was over, damaged beyond repair, by, as he admits, `the fact that I just wasn't enjoying it anymore'-- helped no doubt by the attractions of glamorous blondes, booze and wealth he could hardly have imagined growing up on a poor housing estate in Belfast.

His lifestyle had become far removed from those of his '50s heroes, Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney. He had become a champagne life-style celebrity who endorsed everything from chewing gum to fur coats, after-shave to sausages. The trappings of success embodied in his famous white Jaguar, three clothing boutiques, an inplace nightclub and a house which had curtains activated by moonlight all led to his own demise.

He had lost his first love in football. He was no longer first and foremost a dedicated hard-working athlete but a playboy tapped in the low society, celebrity world of his own fashion icon.

George Best never played in a World Cup, but he still managed to touch the hearts of world fans.

It is no coincidence that George's surname is Best, he was THE Best and was gods gift to Manchester United and football.

George Best (1963-1973)

In 466 appearances he scored 178 goals for United and nine in 37 appearances for Northern Ireland.

[hr][/hr]

© UNITEDLOUNGE.COM Reproducing this material, either in whole or in part, without the permission of unitedlounge.com is strictly prohibited.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Re: George Best

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:40 am

Even my Dad said he's never seen anyone like him, before or since.

Nobody has ever come close, maybe Giggsy in some ways, but that's it, Ronaldo is a great player yes, but he hasn't the skill George had, George never did the fancy step-overs, everytime his feet moved so did the ball, as was said at the time "George Best brought the verb 'to dribble' back into football.

I've never seen anyone who could take the ball so close to a man and beat him, George didn't just push the ball past a player and chase it, he would take the ball right to them, play a one-two off their shins, I've seen him surrounded by 2 even 3 players and he would just weave his way through them,

The other thing was he never dived, he could have got 10 penalties a season, minimum, but his pride wouldn't let him go down, quite often he would lash out at the referee for stopping play to award him the free-kick, George rode the tackles, he treated everyone with contempt, that was shown by the way he wore his socks sometimes, rolled down to his ankles and displaying the fact he never wore shinpads

George deliberately goaded players into fouling him, but unlike todays dive queens, George did it to make the players commit themselves, they would go for the foul ..... and Bestie was gone. I can't think of one flaw in his game, he was brave, he was fast, his control of the ball was incredible, he was amazing in the air, he could pass better than anyone else, and the way he read the game

I can still see him, running through the defence, the ball seemingly tied to his feet by the imaginary piece of string, as one bloke said "He could take a ball round a threepenny bit. And what makes it even more incredible is they played on quagmires in those days, the ball absorbed water, so that by the end of the game it resembled a sodden house brick, I try and imagine what he would do if he played in todays "Luxury Conditions"

He was hard as nails, who can forget when he knocked out the Colossus Ron Yeats with one punch right in the Stretford End goalmouth? Even the Liverpool players were laughing, then when he dropped Fat Franny in the FA Cup match.

Maybe we will see someone like him again, as George said, there's always someone better than yourself. Maybe there will be, but in the 34 years since he left United it hasn't happened yet

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:31 am

George was and still is names the most naturally talented player the UK has ever seen. I've seen videos and read some articles, and they all that he was amazing, and to think, he wasn't such a dedicated player, by that I mean that he liked drink and women, when he started missing training his performances still were good.

I only wish I had the chance to see the European Cup Final with Benfica.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:30 am

That's the thing, if he played under today's rules, the fitness, the discipline, like back then they trained in the morning and then went home around 11:30

In the beginning George would have loved it, he was very dedicated at the start, but after? I have the feeling with his personality he wouldn't have lasted long under Sir Alex, I don't think anyone but Matt could have handled him - well they couldn't, Wilf certainly couldn't O'Farrell was a disaster with him and Docherty! Enough said the better there.

If you look at how he returned after quitting, every single time it was Matt who brought him back, nobody else could have done the job,

Like when United put him on the transfer list, we all knew it was a bluff by the Club, United knew that nobody was going to shell out 300,000 for him. The only enquiry made was by Harry Gregg, who was Manager of T.D.s club Swansea at the time - a sign of the respect Bestie had for Harry is he seriously considered going there. Matt stepped in again and he got taken off the list

Probably Everton was the only Club he could have played for, they played the same style of football as we did, that would have suited George, but he would never have got along with Catterick

It was a terrible situation towards the end, we had the most talented footballer that ever graced a pitch, the most gifted footballer ever - and the last thing he wanted to do was play football

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Drink and women ruined his life and his football.

He did say it himself that he can't even imagine playing under Sir Alex.

But if I'm not mistaken, he was the first footballer to become a star - celebrity -, press didn't give him any space to breathe, which made it worse. I can't imagine Ronaldo in his shoes in those days. It's normal nowadays.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:08 am

Muziq wrote:Drink and women ruined his life and his football.

He did say it himself that he can't even imagine playing under Sir Alex.

But if I'm not mistaken, he was the first footballer to become a star - celebrity -, press didn't give him any space to breathe, which made it worse. I can't imagine Ronaldo in his shoes in those days. It's normal nowadays.

I think it was more than just Birds & Booze, the newspapers drove him mental, it got to a stage were if he went to the lavatory and didn't pull the chain it was headlines,

But nobody knew how to handle it, no footballer had ever straddled the worlds of sport and show business before, As Michael Parkinson said "If you talked to people involved in sport at that time, they generally said Best was an idiot, but if you spoke to people in the show business world, although they didn't condone what he had done, but they were sympathetc and understood"

The thing that made most of us angry, it was the newspapers that built George, they told everyone how wonderful he was, told about the bright lad who would become British Footballs first millionaire by the time he was 30, they were also the ones who tore him down and turned people against him, much like they did with Ronaldo and Beckham, they incited hatred towards Bestie

The Daily Mirror was great at that, they really went for him, The Sun were just as bad, but what made the Mirror worse was Frank McGhee was a self confessed United fan, and he was the guy who first made the statement "There is only One United" - I know Matt fell out with him over stuff he wrote about George.

In the end he ended up living in a goldfish bowl, he had absolutely no private life, many people said he should have thought about that before he embraced the life of the pop idol footballer, or that people like Matt should have advised him better

That was rubbish, how could anyone tell the first person to do something that's never been done before what it's going to be like - Nobody knew

But I would say that his shadow still hangs over this Club, United learnt valuable lessons from it all, Just look at how SAF looked after Ronaldo and Beckham, imagine if they had come back to any other club after those world cups? They'd have been thrown to the wolves

BrianSmith

Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:40 am

Thanks condor it must of been a great experience, memories will never fade as i believe he is with us in spirit.

Full Name George Best
Date of Birth 22nd May 1946
Place of Birth Belfast
Position Winger/Forward
Height 5ft 8
United debut 14/9/1963
vs WBA (H)
Best's United Record 1963-1974

Appearances Goals
League 361 137
FA Cup 46 21
League Cup 25 9
Europe 34 11
Other games 4 1
Total 470 179

Best's International Record
1964-1973

37 Caps for N Ireland - 9 Goals
Honours with United

1968 European Cup
1968 European Footballer of the Year
1967 1st Div League Championship
1965 1st Div League Championship

For/to me and many others George Best (RIP) is perhaps the most naturally talented footballer ever to walk on the face of the planet. A genius, magician, legend, Best(RIP) was simply the complete player. Pele, Cruyff, Maradona - all were superb but Best(RIP) had a bit of each in his game and more.

He could beat opponents with skill and dazzling tricks, swerving through defences like a skier on a slathom course, or go past them with a burst of devastating speed. For him, gravity was something that affected other people, Bestie (RIP) seemed to zip across the pitch with the ball tied to his foot.

He could shoot brilliantly with either foot and out-jump much taller opponents to win the ball in the air. Imbued with the confidence and arrogance to try absolutely anything, Best(RIP) would often make a fool of some of the games greatest players.

Despite his slight frame, he had tremendous physical strength and resilience, along with an almost unnatural elasticity of limb and torso. George(RIP) was strong enough to take the knocks and abuse from the less talented players who would try to hack him out of the game. In an age where players did not receive protection from referees and the so called "hard-men" played the game, Best(RIP) took it all on the chin and triumphed regardless. When he tried one trick too many and lost the ball he would fight twice as hard to get it back.

Playing as a winger and sometimes striker, he would inspire his team and bring a crowd, home or away, to its feet. The man from Belfast was born with a wonderful gift, however with this gift came the penalty of a wild destructive streak that would always cast a shadow on his career.

The Genius From Belfast
It was obvious to Sir Matt Busby from the outset that the skinny 16 year old from East Belfast's Cregagh Estate was something extra-special. United's Northern Ireland scout Bob Bishop famously sent a telegram Busby that read: "I believe I've found you a genius."

Best made his league debut for United in 1963 aged 17 and won an international cap before he turned 18. It wasn't long before he was a household name throughout Britain. George was perhaps the most important member of the great United team which won the League Championship twice in the 1960's.

By 1966, George Best superstar had arrived, especially after his magnificent performance in United's 5-1 thrashing of Benfica in Lisbon where he scored twice. Stepping off the plane the Portuguese press dubbed him "El Beatle".

The Peak At 22 years Old
After five years of playing breathtaking football his place in history was secured in 1968 - United became the first English team to win the European Cup and Best scored a superb solo goal in the final against Benfica. He later claimed that having beaten round the Benfica keeper he wanted to take the ball up to the line stop it, lie down on the ground and head the ball over the line. Only a truly special sort of player would even have considered such an outrageous act in a game of such importance.

In 1968 he was at his peak at only 22 years of age. That year he also deservedly won both the English and European Footballer of the Year awards. He was also the club's top scorer that year with 28 goals, and for the following four seasons. In 1970 he scored six goals in an 8-2 win over Northampton in the FA Cup, the most goals ever scored in a single match by any United player.

Bestie goals captured on television, such as the dazzling runs against Sheffield United, Chelsea, West Ham and the delicate lob against Spurs have become all-time classics. And who knows what other gems he scored in an age before blanket television coverage, great goals that now live on only in the memories of those lucky to have been there at the time.

The First Pop Star Footballer
Nicknamed "the fifth Beatle", he was one of the most famous stars in Britain during the 1960s. Best was the first pop-star footballer, a personification of youth culture and the swinging sixties.

He had the good looks, the style and the girls went mad for him with Best getting 10,000 fan letters a week. This had never happened to a footballer before. Sadly it was this pop star image that proved his eventual downfall, for he began to live the lifestyle of a pop star, and not a footballer.

Best himself once said, "If I'd been ugly, you'd never have heard of Pele". The alcohol, women and wild nights spent partying would ultimately shorten his career and lead to severe health problems later on.

As he became a casualty of intense media attention, George could not concentrate on football without being hounded everywhere by paparazzi. He opened a night club and a number of fashion boutiques which were not a success, while a string of famous actress/model girlfriend's meant he was under incredible media scrutiny.

The Decline
Once Sir Matt retired in 1969 it was downhill for the Ulsterman as he became increasingly rebellious and erratic. Busby's successors, Frank O'Farrell and Tommy Docherty lacked his fatherly influence on Best. The United team was in decline and Best found it hard to take.

Seeing United beaten by teams they used to hammer a few years ago was painful and his love for football slowly diminished. He took solace in the bottle with drinking and partying taking over his entire life. He was now frequently missing training and failing to turn up for games.

In 1972 he announced his retirement at only 26 but was persuaded back by Docherty. The comeback was not a success and George left United for good on New Years Day 1974, his final game against QPR.

Post United Years
He then played for numerous other clubs, most notably Fulham (76-77) with the outlandish ex Manchester City star, Rodney Marsh. Then there was Stockport County, Hibernian and USA soccer teams L.A. Aztecs (1976-78) Fort Lauderdale Strikers (78-79) and San Jose Earthquakes (80-81). Even though not as fit as in his prime, the incredible skills were still apparent, no one could ever take that away from him.

George finally ended his football career with Bournemouth in 1983, although went on to play in many charity and friendly matches. In the 1990's he established himself as a successful sports commentator with Sky Sports and after dinner speaker. Though playing for many clubs, it was still clear that Manchester United were the only team that truly remained close to Best's heart - he was a red through and through.

In 2000 Best's health reached rock bottom due to liver damage caused by his years of alcoholism. However, in July 2002 he had a successful liver transplant operation and made a full recovery. Personal problems continued to hound him as he divorced for a second time and was unable to beat the bottle.

On 1st October, 2005, George entered the Cromwell hospital with flu-like symptoms, later suffering a kidney infection. He was susceptible to infection because of medicines needed after the liver transplant and his condition deteriorated sharply in the next month when it spread to his lungs.

Ironcially his death was played out much the same way as his life, in a blaze of media coverage. Though he fought on for far longer than doctors ever expected, on 25th November, George Best lost his battle for life. In Belfast, Manchester and around the world, the whole of football was in mourning at the death of a legend.

A week later on 3rd December, the Belfast Boy came home to his native city for the final time. 100,000 people lined the streets and grounds of Stormont for the funeral of Northern Ireland's greatest sporting hero.

My Conclusion
There are many regrets for Best, such as ending his career early and never displaying his phenomenal skills in the World Cup Finals. However, when you look at the positive things he brought to British football, the moments of sheer breath-taking excitement, the glory of 1968, the lifestyle he led, George Best has lived more than most of us ever will.

Let us also not forget he played for ten seasons at United - Eric Cantona spent only five and few modern day players will have a career as long in the red shirt. George Best's life on the surface is the classic story of the wayward genius who had it all and supposedly threw it all away.

However, pundits tend to overlook that it was this wild self-destructive streak that made him the player he was. Genius often goes hand in hand with some sort of eccentric quality, a quality that gives that creative spark others do not possess.

Just a month before his death he said "People will remember me for my football" and that is ultimately what will last the test of time. George Best will live on as a football icon forever. Blessed with unbelievable skill, he was a genius the like of which may never come again. A player that took the game to a different level, a level which mere footballing mortals can only gaze up at, in wonder, awe and sheer exhilaration.

George Best (RIP) Trivia

George lived in a house on Burren Way in the Cregagh Estate. A special plaque He was the eldest child of Dickie and Anne, Best was brother to Carol, Barbara, Julie, Grace and Ian.

He supported Wolverhampton Wanderers as a boy.

Best and fellow Ulsterman Eric McMordie were both offered trials by United. Best was offered a contract but McMordie returned home. He eventually played for Middlesbrough and Northern Ireland.

George "worked" for the Manchester Ship Canal Company as a clerk, because technically United were not allowed to sign him until he reached 17.

George opened two nightclubs in Manchester, in the late 1960s. One was named 'Oscar's' the other one called Slack Alice's. George also owned Fashion Boutique's, in partnership with Mike Summerbee of Manchester City.

In 1969 he built a futuristic house in near Bramhall, Cheshire, at a cost of £30,000. The modernist split-level design was encased in glass with a flat roof and had all the latest hi-tec gadgets. He suffered fans continually besieging the house and eventually sold it after only three years.

In 1971 playing for Northern Ireland, he famously kicked the ball out of Gordon Banks hands during a goal kick and put the ball in the net only for the referee to disallow it. Two weeks later he tried it again against Pat Jennings and the goal was given.

In 2001 he received an Honorary Doctorate of Queen's University, Belfast and in 2002 he was made a Freeman of the Borough of Castlereagh (a local council in Belfast).

Best is buried at Roselawn cemetery beside his mother's grave, in the Castlereagh Hills just outside Belfast.

There are several street murals in Belfast depicting Best in his playing days. There is also a statue planned at Belfast City Hall and possibly the new Northern Ireland stadium will be named after him.

Belfast City Airport was renamed "George Best Belfast City Airport" in his honour on 22nd May 2006.

George Best features on the back of 1 million limited edition banknotes from the Northern Ireland based Ulster Bank released in November 2006.

Best quote: "I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered"

Best quote: "I went missing quite alot...... Miss England, Miss Wales, Miss world....."

Best quote: "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life."

Best quote on why he went to America: "I was driving through London when I saw an advert saying 'Drink Canada dry' "

Best quote on his liver transplant blood transfusion: "I was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints - beating my previous record by 20 minutes."

Best quote: "Pele called me the greatest footballer in the world, that is the ultimate salute to my life."

Best quote: "If I had been born ugly, you would never have heard of Pelé"

Best quote: "When I die I'd like to be remembered as the greatest footballer of all time. When that day comes, they won't talk about the booze, the women, the fast cars. They'll talk about the football"

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:07 am

Thanks Brian,

It effected me, because I'd only ever known a United team with George, the first match I vividly remember watching was in the season he made his debut, so it was like with Bobby and Denis, it was unthinkable for those three to not be there, and when you're young (I was 9) ten years is an eternity,

I still miss him

abhishek
Academy Player
Academy Player

Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:52 am

wonderful read brian...thanks for that
simply brilliant !!!!

BrianSmith

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Your welcome john & axa. ;)

Girish Bharadwaj
New Signing
New Signing

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks a lot brian for the post (Y)

BrianSmith

Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:42 am

Guys no need to thank me, they are not my own words i just had to dig deep to find them.
I thank the author for his original story. (Y)

!!Rooney!!
New Signing
New Signing

Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:13 am

Does anyone has links to his videos? I've been hearing how great he is but I would like to see it with my own eyes.

Romulus

Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:29 am

There are loads of them mate, go on youtube, search for George Best, some are quite good.

BayernUnited
New Signing
New Signing

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks Condor and to all the others contributing in the whole Legends section. Lots of us including me didn´t have the chance to watch legends like Best and Edwards (just to name 2). Through your telling and your sources one gets a great picture of those players and the times it happened. Keep on your great work to educate younger fans about the history of the club :!: (Y)

[center]Image
The ball is round and a game lasts 90 minutes (Sepp Herberger)[/center]

abhishek
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:59 am

BrianSmith wrote:Guys no need to thank me, they are not my own words i just had to dig deep to find them.
I thank the author for his original story. (Y)
but still you have taken lots of efforts to get these stories on here and we can only thank you for passing on this information about bestie to the younger generation of united fans
thanks once again !!!! (Y)

Hughsy
Trainee
Trainee

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 am

George Best is a person that symbolizes Man Utd,talent, youth & a touch of genuios.A player who's play made me support this wonderful club and what it represents.Can forever remember as a kid admiring his shear skill and genuios,specially in a Cup Tie against Northampton in 1970 where he single handly scored 6 of our 8 goal that day,just pure magic.Thanks George,yes you were simply the :) BEST.

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
"My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fornicate perch...and you can print that."SAF

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:12 pm

!!Rooney!! wrote:Does anyone has links to his videos? I've been hearing how great he is but I would like to see it with my own eyes.
Try and get the DVD George Best - Maverick - Legend

abidan
Junior Player
Junior Player

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm

It would be great if you refs had the power to enforce a rule that everyone who joins this board must read about the legends before they can post. Just reading Lawmans posts you can just about feel the emotion swelling up within him. God it's absolutely riveting and powerful reading, it nearly makes you feel you the legends personally. Well done to all those responsible.

Boonald
New Signing
New Signing

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Does anyone now where i can find a pic of him after a game with bruises all over his body ? I saw it once on the old TR but can't find it on the internet. I believe Lawman posted it. Would appreciate it if somebody could post it again so i can save it to my HD this time.

Alistair Hay
New Signing
New Signing

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Lawfan, why did United put Best on the transfer list? you said it was a bluff, but what was the intention?

and you can say that Best wouldn't have been able to handle SAF, but we can't judge that. i read an article in United magazine where Vidic said that "SAF knows how to approach any player, he treats them as individuals and approaches each one differently to get them in the best footballing frame of mind".

Who Takes The Prize?
Who Takes The Fall?

anci
Trainee
Trainee

Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:48 pm

thank you so much condor and brian for the brilliant read! (Y)
george best will always be the greatest, wish i could have seen him live on the pitch!

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

thanks condor and brian for your posts.. that is really great.. i really love reading all about man utd.. ;)

Lawman
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 am

Alistair Hay wrote:Lawfan, why did United put Best on the transfer list? you said it was a bluff, but what was the intention?

and you can say that Best wouldn't have been able to handle SAF, but we can't judge that. i read an article in United magazine where Vidic said that "SAF knows how to approach any player, he treats them as individuals and approaches each one differently to get them in the best footballing frame of mind".
On the last part, nobody ever handled a player, any player, better than Matt Busby could, people warned him that signing Denis Law would bring him a shedload of trouble - it didn't

But United's intention with putting George on the transfer list was to make it look like we were doing something - At 300,000 the club knew nobody would sign him, as Joe Mercer said "It would be bad enough inheriting that problem, never mind paying 300,000 for it"

It was done at the same meeting that Wilf got sacked at, but the truth was we needed George more than he needed us, he was keeping us out of the second division

And that to me was something George, along with Alex Stepney are owed a huge debt of thanks for, Big Al stopped us getting some right pastings, at the other end George won us valuable time, until Martin Buchan settled in the players in between those two were either past it or crap

Denis was only a shadow of his former self, Bobby had aged and slowed right down, they both had it upstairs, but their legs didn't

But George bought us time, because of him we stayed in the first division long enough to get Docherty, forget the other stuff, the Doc got us back up, but if we had gone down before he came we would still be there

No manager in his right mind would touch the job, there was Matt's footsteps to follow in, the demands of the fans for pure attacking football and sod the result, and the board and the media wanted someone who would come in and win the European Cup in his first season

There was too much pressure on everyone

cockneyred
Trainee
Trainee

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:05 pm

I've only seen a few videos of George, what an absolute legend he was though.
The matches that I've watched him play in, he was like the king of football LOL.

What a great player!

[center]Image[/center]

Return to “United Legends & History”