Next Match: Image
Sevilla in the Europa League.
Sunday 16th August 2020, KO 20:00 UTC.
Glorio
International Player
International Player

Midfield

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:10 am

What do you folks think of our midfield options now, and who would you start?

Thinking about it, towards the onset of the lockdown, that midfield began to look more and more balanced and in control of games with the trio of Fred-MacTominay/Matic-Bruno.

Now Pogba is back, and he's an upgrade on paper, however, does his reintroduction upset that balance? You could argue that the previously attained balance is of no consequence as there's no guarantee that the balance will remain, but you know what you get from the likes of Fred and MacTominay every game, while from experience you're unsure what version of Pogba would turn up.

Paul would provide more moments of magic, but then in tough games, would he work as hard as those two? Interesting choice for the manager!

How would you setup?

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

raycreative
International Player
International Player

Re: Midfield

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:53 am

Whatever you say about Pogba,and he does polarize opinions,you cannot take his ability away from him
He is a world cup winner,end of
The class acts in this midfield are Bruno and Pogna and the trick is to get them playing together plus the next trick is to get the forwards who they "feed" having confidence in when and how they are going to play.
Both are more than capable,ability wise to unlock any defense but of course they both need an outlet player to find
Then you need a player in midfield to do a Roy Keane and break up the opposition attacks and generally get stuck in
I think that player for me would be MacToninay
That leaves the manager with a decision of does he stick with a 3 man midfield and play 4-3-3 or go with a 4 man midfield and 4-4-2
That is Ole's dilemma
In my opinion a fit Rashford and Martial have enough pace to do a lot of damage.Of our other forwards i don't rate James enough to start him.He is hard working and fast but easy enough to stop and can't cross a ball.He might be a desperation sub.Ighalo is hard working but not top class.I hope they don't feel a need to play him to sell shirts.And finally it's time to say ta ta to Jesse.He's done
So i would go 4-4-2 and that leaves one more in midfield.I think an on form Matic is better than an on form Fred and capable of sitting in front of,and guarding the defense better so my vote would go to Matic

I thik the team more or less picks itself now ie
DDG
Wan-Bassaka Maguire (problem) Luke Shaw (cover would be Brandon Williams,Borthwick-Jackson,Bailly-It's a bit think and i don't even include
Phil Jones as all he is doing is playing out his contract.We are short of a strong partner for Magure
but the club are apparently not interested in looking)
Bruno MacTominay Matic Pogba (cover would be Fred,Mata,Pereira)
Rashford Martial (cover would be Ighalo,James,Mason Greenwood)

It's not a bad starting X1 but not a lot of depth so not a strong squad for injuries and tiredness in a normal season
Room for a top quality centre half and right winger and room for some "good quality" reserves
Time for Jones and Jesse to both go but i've been saying that for years.This is now a top 4 squad but not in the league of Liverpool and City and no ambition,imo,to even try

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Thats about the most "positive/optimistic" footballing post Ive ever seen you make Ray!!

Have your lottery numbers come up? :P

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

raycreative
International Player
International Player

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 pm

RedSte wrote: ā†‘
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:28 pm
Thats about the most "positive/optimistic" footballing post Ive ever seen you make Ray!!

Have your lottery numbers come up? :P

Naw.It's just a strange time
Locked up with the wife for 10 weeks is pickling my head more than Ben and Donald Trump are
I didn't know i needed so much topsoil

And on the realistic side they are not even looking for a centre half so that leaves us third or fourth at best which for a Glazer is total success

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 pm

OLE building a good team. 3 transfers

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 pm

3 transfers and we'll we champions again. Rice, Girelish and Sancho we'll be a possession team and will break teams downs again

raycreative
International Player
International Player

Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:15 am

Goku wrote: 3 transfers and we'll we champions again. Rice, Girelish and Sancho we'll be a possession team and will break teams downs again
Completely incorrect.We already have Bruno,Pogba and Matic who are balanced and are technically better than those 3
We do need players who we have already had a chance at but turned away due to money

If we had Virgin van Dijk who had as much of a chance to come to us as he did to Liverpool our defence would be complete
We should have got Haaland but we have ended up with Ighalo on loan.Although he is playing better than anybody thought he would Ighalo is not the answer

And finally Mason Greenwood and possibly Brandon Williams is showing the benefit of a strong youth policy
These two have come through despite our youth policy and not because of it
Liverpool,Chelsea and Manchester City to a lesser extent have shown how important a good youth policy is
You saw Liverpool's home grown players destroy Everton in an FA Cup match
Chelsea's kids have kept the club as competitive as United, whilst their transfer ban was in place, and City have been in the last several youth cup finals and you now see the likes of Fowden coming through.United on the other hand have just quietly released over 30 players at the end of the last 2 seasons.The standard being Borthwick-Jackson,Gomes and 7 others you have never heard of but who have held up others for several seasons.But they were all cheap
The lack of investment in our youth policy will bite hard,imo,over the next two or 3 years as we finally shfit Sanchez,Jones,Smalling,Dalot,Mata,Jesse and hopefully Dan James who is showing nothing for me

Return to ā€œU-N-I-T-E-Dā€