Loading...
Next Match: Image
Aston Villa in the Premier League.
Thursday 9th July 2020, KO 20:15 UTC.
Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 9141
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Harry Gregg passes away

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:16 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... es-aged-87

Both a footballing, and more importantly, real life hero.

I know a few people off here had met him, by all accounts he was a lovely man. Was he someone you knew personally Ray?


Image

User avatar
raycreative
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm

Dante wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:16 am
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... es-aged-87

Both a footballing, and more importantly, real life hero.

I know a few people off here had met him, by all accounts he was a lovely man. Was he someone you knew personally Ray?
I knew him very well.
He was the second most bad tempered agressive person i have ever met.The first is Pat Crerand
They were the best of friend and tried to kill each other every time Harry came over to an Association of Former Manchester United players dinners
About 5 years ago he was a regular visitor but when his health deteriorated he stopped travelling
He actually beat cancer not so long ago
I was told at the last home game that he was back in hospital and there was a good chance he would not come out but i don't know specifically what he was in for.It wasn't appropriate to ask too many questions

At all the old players dinners he would start in conversation with Paddy that would then turn into a difference of opinions followed by a full scale argument that always carried on after the dinner into the Premier Inn hotel near the ground until daft o'clock in the morning
If you had Nobby Stiles or Noel Cantwell helping to stir it up half the hotel would come down to see what the screaming was about
It was usually something important such as who was the best player they had ever played against

Harry hated Wilf McGuinnes as Wilf has made a living at after dinner speaking talking about how lucky he was that he was injured and didn't travel to Red Star in 1958
Harry would tell anybody who would listen that Wilf was never going to travel as he was not good enough to get in the team

Little known facts
Harry was not Harry but his name is actually Henry.He hated being called Henry but called his lad Henry.Go figure
His second wife was the daughter of the owner of Maunders homes.Harry always said he would always have a roof over his head



User avatar
raycreative
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:38 pm











User avatar
Otis
Reserve
Reserve
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Munich hero and United legend.

Rest In Peace and God bless you, Harry. (f) (f) (f) (l)


If you walk with Jesus,He's gonna save your soul.You gotta keep the Devil way down in the hole.
Wayne Rooney....Manchester United Legend.
Come back Ray,the board needs you.

Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 9141
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm

raycreative wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm
I knew him very well.
He was the second most bad tempered agressive person i have ever met.The first is Pat Crerand
They were the best of friend and tried to kill each other every time Harry came over to an Association of Former Manchester United players dinners
About 5 years ago he was a regular visitor but when his health deteriorated he stopped travelling
He actually beat cancer not so long ago
I was told at the last home game that he was back in hospital and there was a good chance he would not come out but i don't know specifically what he was in for.It wasn't appropriate to ask too many questions

At all the old players dinners he would start in conversation with Paddy that would then turn into a difference of opinions followed by a full scale argument that always carried on after the dinner into the Premier Inn hotel near the ground until daft o'clock in the morning
If you had Nobby Stiles or Noel Cantwell helping to stir it up half the hotel would come down to see what the screaming was about
It was usually something important such as who was the best player they had ever played against

Harry hated Wilf McGuinnes as Wilf has made a living at after dinner speaking talking about how lucky he was that he was injured and didn't travel to Red Star in 1958
Harry would tell anybody who would listen that Wilf was never going to travel as he was not good enough to get in the team

Little known facts
Harry was not Harry but his name is actually Henry.He hated being called Henry but called his lad Henry.Go figure
His second wife was the daughter of the owner of Maunders homes.Harry always said he would always have a roof over his head
Haha, that's brilliant. Would have loved to witness those discussions.

The name thing seems to be fairly common for people of his age. My Nana was Margaret, but her entire life was called Rita.


Image

User avatar
raycreative
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm

I'd love to be in heaven(or more likely hell) with Harry now going round looking for Nat Lofthouse
He used to say it was bad enough being fouled by him in the 1958 FA Cup final but then to go round celebrating like you'd done something important really pissed him off

George Best nutmegged him twice in one training session when George was 17.Harry threatened to knock him out if he did it a third time.Nobody was sure whether he would have done it but George didn't try that again



Sandies
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 6676
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 am

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:51 am

I remember his nephew was on here for a while. Harry really was a great lad


"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

User avatar
raycreative
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:56 am

Funeral on Friday

I wait to see,with great interest,who the club will send,if anybody
The obvious ones to send would be Bobby Charlton(the last survivor of the crash,if he is well enough to travel
Also Pat Crerand,The Lawman and a few of the others that played with him
Also Kath,the receptionist at that time ,still does a bit of meeting and greeting on match days.I suspect she would like to go
The team will be flying back right after the game in Brugges so it wouldn't do any harm to fly,on a private plane,Ole as manager and the captain to Northern Ireland.It will be all done with in a couple of hours
I may be wrong but i assume there will be no Glazer and no Ed Woodward in attendance but i may be surprised.I suspect they might try to get Sir Alex to represent the board and/or Mike Edleson



Dante
Referee
Referee
Posts: 9141
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 pm

They would be insane to send any Glazer or Woodward, but IMO the current manager and captain should always be present for the funeral of any former player, providing the family want them to attend.


Image

User avatar
raycreative
International Player
International Player
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 am

Dante wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 pm
They would be insane to send any Glazer or Woodward, but IMO the current manager and captain should always be present for the funeral of any former player, providing the family want them to attend.
Just one Glazer or just Souse Ed then i agree that would be insane, but if one Glazer turned up with Ed Woodward and a group including SAF,,David Gil,Mike Edelson and Bobby Charlton and paid for a couple of Sir Matt's surviving family and even,whisper it a few old generation fans
Of course it would need the family's consent but if they stood outside the church in the rain it would also help connect to the genuine fans who do know he was.But that's just a pipe dream



User avatar
marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 5988
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:31 am

Re: Harry Gregg passes away

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:33 am

raycreative wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm
Dante wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:16 am
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... es-aged-87

Both a footballing, and more importantly, real life hero.

I know a few people off here had met him, by all accounts he was a lovely man. Was he someone you knew personally Ray?
I knew him very well.
He was the second most bad tempered agressive person i have ever met.The first is Pat Crerand
They were the best of friend and tried to kill each other every time Harry came over to an Association of Former Manchester United players dinners
About 5 years ago he was a regular visitor but when his health deteriorated he stopped travelling
He actually beat cancer not so long ago
I was told at the last home game that he was back in hospital and there was a good chance he would not come out but i don't know specifically what he was in for.It wasn't appropriate to ask too many questions

At all the old players dinners he would start in conversation with Paddy that would then turn into a difference of opinions followed by a full scale argument that always carried on after the dinner into the Premier Inn hotel near the ground until daft o'clock in the morning
If you had Nobby Stiles or Noel Cantwell helping to stir it up half the hotel would come down to see what the screaming was about
It was usually something important such as who was the best player they had ever played against

Harry hated Wilf McGuinnes as Wilf has made a living at after dinner speaking talking about how lucky he was that he was injured and didn't travel to Red Star in 1958
Harry would tell anybody who would listen that Wilf was never going to travel as he was not good enough to get in the team

Little known facts
Harry was not Harry but his name is actually Henry.He hated being called Henry but called his lad Henry.Go figure
His second wife was the daughter of the owner of Maunders homes.Harry always said he would always have a roof over his head
Great story (Y)

RIP Harry Gregg


Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users