Next Match: Image
Manchester City in the Premier League.
Wednesday 24th April 2019, KO 20:00 BST.
Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Are we really that bad ?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Social media and this forum is full of cries for Olé to have a clear out and to spend millions in the summer, people suggest that this is the worst bunch of mis matched players we have had at the club since Fergie left, and we all know how long it took him to sort things out, which included a radical youth system, and a scouting system envied by every other club.

My benchmark on a player is how easily he would go to City, Liverpool, Barca, Real or even Juve and walk straight into the team.
Of our present squad;
1 De Gea
13 Lee Grant
22 Sergio Romero
3 Eric Bailly
36 Matteo Darmian
20 Diogo Dalot
4 Phil Jones
2 Victor Lindelöf
16 Marcos Rojo
23 Luke Shaw
12 Chris Smalling
25 Antonio Valencia
18 Ashley Young
21 Ander Herrera
15 Andreas Pereira
17 Fred Brazil
37 James Garner
47 Angel Gomes
54 Mason Greenwood
14 Jesse Lingard
8 Mata
31 Nemanja Matić
39 Scott McTominay
6 Paul Pogba
44 Tahith Chong
9 Romelu Lukaku
11 Anthony Martial
10 Marcus Rashford
7 Alexis Sánchez

In my opinion, ( ignoring the rising stars) Only two definitely would (DDG) Pogba wouldn't on his form at United, and the other (Hererra) is up for discussion as it's rumoured he's on his way to PSG.

Now go back to our treble winning squad in 1999

1 Peter Schmeichel
2 Gary Neville
3 Denis Irwin
4 David May
5 Ronny Johnsen
6 Jaap Stam
7 David Beckham
8 Nicky Butt
9 Andy Cole
10 Teddy Sheringham
11 Ryan Giggs
12 Phil Neville
13 John Curtis
14 Jordi Cruyff
15 Jesper Blomqvist
16 Roy Keane
17 Raimond van der Gouw
18 Paul Scholes
19 Dwight Yorke
20 Ole Gunnar Solskjær
21 Henning Berg
22 Erik Nevland
23 Michael Clegg
24 Wes Brown
26 Chris Casper
28 Philip Mulryne
29 Alex Notman
30 Ronnie Wallwork
31 Nick Culkin
33 Mark Wilson
34 Jonathan Greening
38 Danny Higginbotham

Yorke and Cole you could possibly argue about, but the facts speak for themselves, as a pairing they were unbeatable.

Both squads are made up of top players, youth and squad players, the difference is that the present squad relies too heavily on what I consider to be squad players.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Are we really that bad ?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42 pm

The only current players from our side that would make that team are Pogba and Rashford

Rashford because Fergie rates youth, even though hes behind the 4 strikers

Pogba would barely be a squad player, wouldn't get a sniff or a touch in that midfield. Oh how I wish we had a Keane at this club to deal with that birth canal

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:04 am

Sandies wrote:
The only current players from our side that would make that team are Pogba and Rashford

Pogba would barely be a squad player, wouldn't get a sniff or a touch in that midfield. Oh how I wish we had a Keane at this club to deal with that birth canal
And that is exactly the wrong attitude isn't it

In footballing terms Pogba is one of the worlds best
In commercial terms Pogba is one of the worlds best

Fergie would have built a team around him and done whatever is necessary to build his ego,make him feel important and got the best out of him.Equally he wouldn't have hesitated to hit him with a brick or a boot if he was out of line
With SAF you knew exactly where you stood.Don't disrupt the team.Live for the team.Give me 110% and keep out of my way.
For those that didn't do that no matter how good you were you got the bullet ala Beckham

What you now have is minimal connection to the club other than via Ole who clearly found something
He got a lot of players to give the team the 110% that they were not giving Jose for the obvious reason that Jose had given up on the club/team being backed by the owners
What you now have is total chaos
Herrara and Mata have not been told what is required of them for a contract.As a result Herrara has gone and Mata is looking.
To have not given them the courtesy of a conversation is unforgiveable and rude imo
DDG and Pogba appear to me to have also given up on the club
When you see a club sliding backwards as i have been telling you for years and no attempt to fix it and you are in the top 5% in the world as DDG and Pogba are then you would leave.I suspect they don't like Uzbeckistan in December in the having a laugh cup in front of 6000 fans in a shit hole stadium that is more derelict than Old Trafford

You/we can discuss all we want but we have no say
The list that Sigmar put up could have been put up for the last 7 seasons with the same result
You could add the names of Shweinsteiger,Falcao,Zlatan.All would have got into City's team at their prime but not by the time we got them
The pattern will continue because no matter how shit this team is there is still a fortune being made and that is all that matters
There will probably be a strong clear out in the summer but several things are for sure
Young just signed a new contract so he will be around
Smalling and Jones signed 4 year contracts so they will be around
If they can't get anybody to pay daft money for Sanchez and Lukaku they will be around
Ole must have wanted them as some naieve people think the manager is the only one that makes the decisions
There is a lot worse to come.There is no desire to improve
Transfer targets are said to have been put on hold already until the league we play in next year is confirmed
Sooner or later the penny will drop
You talk football,they talk business and they certainly don't talk to the fans.Just the customers

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:18 am

As Fergie let Pogba go, I doubt very much he would have built a team around him, what was it said at the press conference when asked about Pogba ?

" I don't know anything about Paul ( Pogba), he's not been in touch with me, or replied to me calls, as far as I know he's left the club"
Fergie had a habit of chasing players he wanted to keep, ( Cantona, Hughes, Rooney), but he never chased Pogba, maybe he saw in him what we are seeing now, a lazy petulant spoiled kid.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

I refuse to argue with United fans over very much to do with club as you know i believe it is rotten to the core however the information/knowledge i have tells me that SAF did not let Pogba go
The Glazers and Ed Woodward would not pay what he asked for nor would they,as they never do,negotiate.
He was offered a contract and a salary which was not close to what he wanted.He had confidence in his own ability.I think you have to say he was correct as a world cup winner
The reason that SAF was upset was that he claimed he "hadn't heard from Pogba in a while and as such he has now found out that Pogba has left the club"
The way i believe that Paul saw it was that "he hadn't heard from United in a while and assumed he was not wanted"
Now you can do a "i said" "we said" scenario on the above and the truth is that we mortals will never know

However i would ask you to consider currently Herrara and Mata who in both cases have stated they haven't heard from Woodward/the club for a while and are in limbo just as Pogba might have been
As such Herrara has found another club and Mata is looking for one.Does that make them arseholes also?
You see Ed Woodward doesn't communicate with anybody
He didn't tell LVG that he was talking to Jose 6 moths before he fired LVG
Does that make LVG an arsehole
The pattern repeats over and over
I have a friend who is a current director at Manchester United who described Woodward as "a dog".I think he was being too nice

And a final example to show how this club operates i would point you to Pique who they let go on a free because they believed they were OK at centre half.They were at that time but Pique was the future and they wouldn't pay for the future.Now we've got Smalling and Jones as the cheap options
Take a quick check at what Pique's won.I think it is 7 La Liga's.3 Champions league cups,World club championships etc etc etc
He went on a free as well

Does that make him an arsehole

I think it is very strong circumstantial evidence where the blame lies

If Pogba goes and there is a good chance he will he probably will win many more top honours and won't hurt this club at least because we are playing at a different level to any top club he joins
Or would you like Cleverley or Depay or Anderson or Scweinsteiger or similar back?

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Sandies wrote:

This is a rare, full agreement, between me and you.

"Make America Great Again!"

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Relly wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:33 pm
Sandies wrote:

This is a rare, full agreement, between me and you.
The reason we don't have Fergie at the club is that he screwed McManus and Magnier who left us with the many birth canals that we now have s owners and who brought Pogba in as a shirt seller first and a player second

Sooner or later the cent will drop

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”