Next Match: Image
Manchester City in the Premier League.
Wednesday 24th April 2019, KO 20:00 BST.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Pre/Post Match Discussion: Champions League vs Barcelona (h)

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Image vs. Image

Home to Barcelona in the Champions League.
Wednesday 10th April 2019, KO 20:00 BST.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Champions League vs Barcelona (h)

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:15 am

Preview.

This is the big one playing the best team in the world. One week break let's take the Wolves game we certainly cannot afford to miss clear cut chances as we did.

Can we beat Barca and get back to the levels we were playing at. Every team has a. Slight dip the performance against Wolves wasn't bad but the result was that which we basically shot ourselves in the foot.

Barcelona are probably the favorites to win the UCL. Can we beat them that is the question.

Ole has to put his tactical had on, I hope we save all the missed chances for this Barca game.

I mean if we have Herrera and Matic fully match fit then we have a chance. I think that Lukaku definitely is not technically great.

So now who to pick

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 am

My goodness Goku... I was so excited looking forward to your score prediction about this one but you left me disappointed.

UNITED > ENGLAND

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am

This is probably several bridges too far, and the bridges I am thinking of are the Severn, the Firth of Forth, and the Golden Gate.

But hey, its football, so you never know.

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:01 am

i was/am expecting a 4 0 prediction to beat West Ham and a 3 0 prediction against Barca and City a coz they are both shitty :laugh: :laugh:

Never mind Goku you can have some fun predicting the scores in next seasons having a laugh league against teams from mighty Uzbekistan that were formed 6 years ago
That is now our level

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:39 pm

SUBXERO wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 am
My goodness Goku... I was so excited looking forward to your score prediction about this one but you left me disappointed. ImageImageImage
I think that we will be ready for Barca but hey you never know. I don't know why Rashford didn't play or if Martial will be fully fit.

What will the midfield be like. If the past three four matches are anything to go by then we already lost.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:43 am

Preview:

We basically set for a summer clear out. If you want to play the Man Utd way you need that technically gifted players.

We need to find a solution to this midfield and we need to play 110% if we going to stand a chance.

I take a 1-0 victory back to the camp nou. I hope the players are match fit. Certain factors need to be matched against Barca.

We need to stop them from playing and then score when the chance comes. We can't have finishing like wolves and Arsenal else we doomed.

As for Sanchez I don't know what the future holds but even though we dipped in form we still have players willing to play their hearts out.

Maybe Ole's training methods has tired this lazy park the bus mourinho team. The difference between this game and PSG is the momentum we had.

Barca scored 4 but conceded four in they last game. They defend from the front. I was looking at the news and I have an idea of what this team might look like now.

Look one good win and the momentum can swing. Good teams go through bad patches and even City and Barca don't win all there games.

It was frustrating to lose against Wolves but if you going to win the UCL you need to give that extra.

Lukaku since his foot injury reverted to his rash finishing instead of going for the easy pass the ball and pick your spot.

I think we will score against Barca but we need a shut out by hook or by crook. Ole is ready for them.

Even in the Fergie Era when we won games we were built up and then if we went through a bad patch it was the media circus.

If I were the players I'd ignore the paper talk and focus on the win ratio that is still incredible.

Clinical is the key in this game coz if we not then we basically not going through. Pogba need to give a good performance and who do we pick as a holding midfielder. Tommy has to be picked he has the pace.

Don't get me wrong a faster Matic would have bees perfect. But the fact is since his injury he lost a bit of pace which will come back with training.

I going to take a Gambit and say we can do this one. It's against Barca and the players know what is expected.

As for the summer I'm looking forward to it. I hope we get at least 5 players. The fact is that 24 point from 17 game is not good enough.

Players to watch: Linel Messi, and Anthony Martial. One the best in the world and one that can achieve greatness.

Line up.

DDG

Dalot. Smalling. Lindelof. Shaw

Matic....... Tommy. .... Pogba

Lingaard. Rashford. Martial.

Subs. : Remero, Herrera, Mata, Lukaku., Jones, Greenwood, Sanchez.

Pridiction

Home win. : 1-0

Man Utd to defy odds by playing for their lives and careers.

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 am

Anybody got any interest in this game?

I fear the worst and yet hope for he best
I am not sure how you even think about holding Messi and Suarez with Smalling and Jones
The Barca midfield frightens the shit out of me as well

The best hope we have imo is that Pogba plays the game of his life trying to convince Barca to come for him
They have revealed they wanted him but wouldn't beat United's offer when he signed for us
He has now confirmed that he admires the Barca tikki takki style of football and they continue to blow kisses at each other
As a selling club,which United now are i fear the worst

I am not sure who will play in midfield for us that can do anything to stop the Barca machine
Herrara,now that he has gone to PSG on a pre contract isn't going to break his balls
Mata and Matic can't play at the Barca pace and Tom Cleverley mark 2 McTomminay is not in the Barca league
The best chance of beating them is to break up and frighten the Barca midfield and unfortunately we don't have anyone

Despite Ole's so called all out attacking play with a flat back five i see us having no more than about 35% possession

I was actually at Celtic Park in 2012 when Celtic played Barca and the possession stats were Celtic 16% v Barca 84% and yet Celtic wn
They played a flat back 10 and threw everything in the way
The same sort of thing with United in Paris last month

We need the same again

By the way tickets still not sold out and Barca have returned some which United,for reasons i don't understand have put them on sale to United fans for just over £100 each plus membership

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:57 pm

I hope beyond hope, that this doesn't end badly for us!

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Colin Francis wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:57 pm
I hope beyond hope, that this doesn't end badly for us!

When you say "us" do you mean the team,the fans or the Glazers
The Glazers are already happy with 75,000+ fans paying fortunes for tonight's game
I half expect one Glazer to make a rare visit to Manchester
there will be an extended family for the return game in the fashion shops of Rome

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Missed the first 20 mins trying to find a bar showing it, how did they score?

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm

I think we showed good grid against the best team in Europe. We played on the front foot after that.

Hopefully we can get a goal coz we had a reaction. Yet again we need a good defender to clear the ball.

In the second half it's all about who wants it more now. Ole didn't park the bus just got caught by their fast start.

There are alot of positives for us.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm

What Ive seen has been pretty positive.

2nd half here we go!

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 pm

In the end, it stays at 0:1 which means we'd need to win away while scoring at least two in order to progress. I don't want to say it's impossible, but it seems quite unrealistic imo.

UNITED > ENGLAND

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:02 pm

That is about the worst I've seen Barca play.

After the goal they allowed us to press.

At the cutting edge we were lacking, but our newer/younger players did well.

Dalot had our best chance, and fluffed it, but was otherwise very good, as was Fred who was a terrier in front of our defence, and McTominay was our best player.

Shaw was unfortunate to concede the OG, but played well.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm actually proud of the performance, this is momentum we need. The team who is 11 points clear in La Liga and we took the game to them.

Of coz. We'll see in the second leg. Dalot should have equalized but take nothing away from our high pressing.

We made it difficult for Barca we do need to. Score first in the Nou Camp. The team can be proud but we need to finish our chances.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Don't want to sound negative but the ease at which they passed the ball from 75 or so mins to end was just hope sapping.

We can't hope to press high up the pitch if his royal eminence Paul will not join in the press.

I think in games like this he's either brilliant (once is a while) or a liability (most of the time)

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Glorio:

Barca are always going to have long periods of possession.
What was different about this was that they did so little with it, and our midfield until we had to weaken it to hunt a goal at the end both dispossessed them and put them under a high press they did not like at all.

Yeah, neither Pogba or Rashford were on fire, which took away our threat, but OTOH lots of our boys played well.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Should have had a draw from that really. Uphill task now but we can still do it.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 am

We need to adress Youngs poor crossing. He should be dropped but will be picked again.

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 am

I was hopeful when I saw the selection. I knew Young would be the weak link albeit that his experience and guidance are required. I applaud that performance which in truth is nothing like the rubbish dished up in the premiership. Hopefully Ole will realise that a mobile midfield is key to a team's performance.

My only criticism is Ole's subs. Both Martial and Lingard should not have come on. Dunno if Dalot was injured, but Young for Perreira, Dalot at RB, Shaw at LB and Perreira on the right wing would have been my change.

Other than that, I thought the performance was right up there, hopefully Ole can field this team for the remaining games to try and get into 4th position.

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

So Chris Smalling claimed to know how to control Messi..........sorry Chris but attempted murder isn't allowed in the game................he should get a ban for doing that to a fellow professional.

On the actual game, disappointed when I saw the line up, when we have to rely on Ashley (fornicate Young) to get a ball into the penalty area you know you are fornicate...............did Pogba actually turn up? I'm beginning to dislike him even more each game.

There will be more nights like this for a few seasons, we are not on the level that Barca are, we are not even close, in 90mins we created one chance, that's just not good at any level.

I don't think we have a chance of pulling this back, not after losing Shaw, he really helped keep things tight at the back, we will need to keep a clean sheet and score two goals at the Nou Camp............now that is a daunting prospect.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:11 am

We played as well as we possibly could and i don't remember such a lack lustre Barca display for a good while
That said we did not have one shot on target which is added to the fact that we only scored one home goal in the entire European campaign and that was late on against Young Boys of Berne

Teams,all teams,used to come to Old Trafford and be frightened but not any more
We are 8 top players,not shirt sellers away from the top level and as you know i am not convinced that there is a desire from the club to invest say £500m that is needed to bridge that gap
Why would there be when all games are sold out which is the only concern
Interestingly a full quota of ALL the Glazers at Old Trafford last night

So on to the game
Two world class saves from DDG will only make Spanish clubs want him more.I watched him shaking his head on sevaral occasions when United fornicate up an attack or two with a poor cross.That will be music to Glazer ears that he wants away
Young showed time and time again his legs are going fast.He can't overlap,beat a man and cross a ball
Ole realised that Smalling and Jones were likely to get a dicking left Jones out and moved Shaw inside.It worked but that stopped Shaw going down the left and crossing.BTW Smalling still got a dicking.When you watched Pique who i would remind you we had but wouldn't pay his slary stroll round like Rio used to do without breaking sweat you could see the difference
I thought Fred and McTominnay were magnificent
Pogba looks like his head is in another country.That said the only United player capable of seeing an open player 40 yards away and then passing to him is Pogba.
If he goes there needs to be a world class player to replace him
I thought Lukaku played significantly better than i expected
Rashford looked frightened as if he realised so much was expected of him.He had an average game

The final straw for me was when the piss pots and dick heads booed Messi off the pitch at the end
That's why this clubs regular slipping backwards is so enjoyed by other clubs

We saw in one game why we are so far away from England's best never mind Europe's best

The season is rapidly drawing to a close so what will the close season transfer market bring?
Will they back Ole?What makes people think they will??

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:01 am

Sigmar:

I disagree about Smalling on Messi, I thought it purely accidental.
What was noticeable though was how little Messi fancied the game afterwards. He played poorly and ducked out of challenges after that.
We should make sure we are a bit physical with him.
Fred? ;-)

Here is an analysis which calls us toothless, which is fair enough:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... onel-messi

It also highlights how poor Young was.
Great servant of the club though he has been, who will always give his all, he really can't cut it at the top level now.

It is encouraging though that the players who have not come up with the goods in the recent run of poor form have been the older ones, Young, Matic, Mata to some extent.

Scott has made a name for himself, and Dalot has done great for a 20 year old.

As for Rashford and his misses, I remember watching Raheem stuffing shots up from every conceivable angle for years, but that was nothing that determination and great coaching could not correct.

I would also disagree that Ole's subs were wrong.

He had to try something, and he brought on more attacking players, which meant that we lost control of midfield.

We did not however concede again, with Fred for instance tireless.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 am

Sigmar wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am
So Chris Smalling claimed to know how to control Messi..........sorry Chris but attempted murder isn't allowed in the game................he should get a ban for doing that to a fellow professional.

On the actual game, disappointed when I saw the line up, when we have to rely on Ashley (fornicate Young) to get a ball into the penalty area you know you are fornicate...............did Pogba actually turn up? I'm beginning to dislike him even more each game.

There will be more nights like this for a few seasons, we are not on the level that Barca are, we are not even close, in 90mins we created one chance, that's just not good at any level.

I don't think we have a chance of pulling this back, not after losing Shaw, he really helped keep things tight at the back, we will need to keep a clean sheet and score two goals at the Nou Camp............now that is a daunting prospect.
I don't think smalling intended it. A 1-2 win will do the trick.

There are alot of positives from this game.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”