Next Match: Image
Internazionale in a Pre-Season Friendly.
Saturday 20th July 2019, KO 12:30 BST.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Wolves (a)

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 am

Image vs. Image

Away to Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Premier League.
Tuesday 2nd April 2019, KO 19:45 BST.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Wolves (a)

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 am

Preview

The FA Cup QF rematch. No doubt that we were very poor in that match before the international break.

Of coz muscle injuries are bound to have an effect and with Barca on the horizon to get to the promised land we really need the squad to be fully match fit.

I think nursing the players back into the squad is the only option. They looked well off pace against Watford.

Maybe put on Fred and a bit of rotation may be needed. So yeah sometimes you don't always get the champaign football we need but that's no matter.

In this game the result will count more than anything given that it's a double game week.
Herrera and Matic can we afford a below par performance against a dangerous Wolves team.

Maybe just freshen up the midfield a bit and then play the pass and move football. We need to get more energy and it's a must win game now.

It's needs to be a match where the result counts. I'd play Fred and get the lead first then bring on Herrera and or Matic.

Paul to dictate, Pogba looked like he needs some protection to do what is does and the biggest change will be DDG in goal who is the best last line of defence.

Hopefully we can step up our game as this is the final run in, this season.

Player to watch: Marcus Rashford. I expect him to continue his scoring streak.

DDG

Dalot. Smalling. Lindelof. Shaw

Fred. Mctom my. Pogba

Rashford. Lukaku. Martial

Subs: Romero, Jones, Herrera, Lingaard, Matic, Young.

Prediction : Away win. 0-2. Man Utd to take a grip in the UCL positions.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am

Only a 2 0 win Goku?
That's very pessimistic for you :laugh: :laugh:

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:57 pm

raycreative wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am
Only a 2 0 win Goku?
That's very pessimistic for you :laugh: :laugh:
Well yeah I think. We'll take the lead and then hopefully get the killer goal.

We don't need to go all out attack. This game is more about the result coz statically we should beat them at least once, having played them. twice already.

A good run and who knows we might end up 3rd fine margins.

Don't get me wrong I'd like us to hammer them but given the Barca games we need to win this one

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm going to guess 2-1 to us.

Judging by recent performances I can't see us keeping a clean sheet!

We do have a decent attack though.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 am

Unfortunately this analysis has substance:
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -to-wolves

'Under Solskjaer, United appear so much more comfortable playing on the break. Even against Reading in the FA Cup third-round tie at Old Trafford, the Championship strugglers had more than 60 per cent of possession. It has become the method of choice and the result is that they look rather less convincing in games where the onus is on them to make the play.

Wolves exploited that vulnerability in the quarter-final at Molineux. The home side barely had a touch of the ball in the early stages - United had 87 per cent of possession in the opening seven minutes - but it was all part of the plan. By dropping deep to deny Marcus Rashford space to run into, Wolves neutralised United and never looked like being broken down.'

I think this goes too far in putting the responsibility solely on Ole and his set up.

Our present players may simply be somewhat lacking in the craft to work their way around packed defences, which after all is one of the supreme skills of football.

We need Martial, Shaw and Pogba to be on their game.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:21 pm

And this is part of the reason i am afraid
When i say it i am called too negative but everybody is saying it
The ones i pay most attention to are ex managers and ex players who understand the game
This team is,as LVG described it, the same as Jose football but with the results
The performances are mostly piss poor and the results usually see us hanging on against average teams
To be fair to Wolves i think they are better than people give them credit for but they are still not a top team
They get mostly put away by top teams

It is easy to say we need Martial and Rashford on form but if they are not getting the ball in exciting positions and regularly they might as well not be on the pitch
That throws me back to the first thing i learned about the game when United had the worlds 3 greatest forwards in the same team in Law,Best and Charlton
If Paddy Crerand did not play well they did not play well.Without the ball they had no chance

In the current team if Pogba is too far left as he has been the last 3 games and Herrara has given up because he is off in 6 games and Mata is too slow and we don't have a winger who is going to play the balls to Rashford and Martial
Look at where the top teams like City get it from
Constant movement and ability from the midfield in the likes of Silva and de Bruyne and constant power and speed in Sterling and Aguerro
You don't need a defence if those two departments work in harmony
We have not had that quality for about 8 years and there is no sign of it coming

I read today that we have made a position for a director of football and ""hope"" to have him in place by next August
that's too fornicating late and comes under the Ed Woodward "wait and see banner"

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:59 pm

We have a number of players who can cut open defences, including Shaw, Martial, Perreira and also Dalot on occasion.

What we don't have is a smooth machine like City, which is not really surprising since we have only since Ole came really emphasised attack.

All of us know that we are not on the level of City, and for unpicking a packed defence even Arsenal, although they make up for it with awful defending at the other end.

I am not going to get into panic mode about it, as it takes time to gel, so simply dismissing our players as not good enough is premature at least.

But we have a stiff test at Wolves, who don't need to be one of the very best teams in the Prem to present severe problems for teams who are trying to attack, the 'top' teams who are expected to win.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:30 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:59 pm
We have a number of players who can cut open defences, including Shaw, Martial, Perreira and also Dalot on occasion.

What we don't have is a smooth machine like City, which is not really surprising since we have only since Ole came really emphasised attack.

All of us know that we are not on the level of City, and for unpicking a packed defence even Arsenal, although they make up for it with awful defending at the other end.

I am not going to get into panic mode about it, as it takes time to gel, so simply dismissing our players as not good enough is premature at least.

But we have a stiff test at Wolves, who don't need to be one of the very best teams in the Prem to present severe problems for teams who are trying to attack, the 'top' teams who are expected to win.
Well if wee accept the above statement,and i am not saying i don't then should Dalot and Perreira start?
Pogba can also open a defence but not if he is playing too wide left
Martial can only open a defence by either running at pace at them or running behind a defence on to a through ball
We don't have enough players who can play the through ball
Shaw can't.He can get behind and cross
Dalot can't.Same comment

I also am not going to panic but if Herrara and Mata go and we don't get a Tony Kroos like player as well as hanging on to Pogba it will be a poor transfer window
You have to start building somewhere and that is it

PS Ole has not emphasised attack.He has kept to counter attacking, as that is all this team is capable of
I agree with LVG.It is Jose football with better results

A vital game tonight looking at the run in of Spurs who if they adapt to the new stadium look booked for third to me
I don't really fancy Chelsea to get into the top 4 so imo its us or Arsenal for the other top 4

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:05 pm

'We don't have enough players who can play the through ball
Shaw can't.He can get behind and cross
Dalot can't.Same comment'

Unless I am imagining things I have seen both Dalot and Perreira playing killer through balls, but not Shaw, I would agree.

In the last game I wanted a different midfield, instead of falling back on the old stagers, and what I am hoping for against Wolves is at least players slotted in to attempt to address the through ball issue and bring some youthful energy, even if that is risky.

Having said that, although Mata lacks pace, he is good on the through balls.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:02 pm

Much better performance, not that Matic and Herrera are bad players but you need a level of match fitness.

A deserved lead. We look sharp and it should have been 3

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Starting XI: De Gea, Young, Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Dalot, Lukaku, Lingard.

Subs: Romero, Jones, Rojo, Matic, Pereira, Mata, Martial.

1-1

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 pm

This Lukaku left his shooting boots on Paris. We just need to up the tempo like we did get the killer goal. Martial needs to come on with his tricks.

We need a win. We don't take that chance to make it 0-2 with Lingaard then a Easter gift it's 1-1.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Goku wrote:
This Lukaku left his shooting boots on Paris. We just need to up the tempo like we did get the killer goal. Martial needs to come on with his tricks.

We need a win. We don't take that chance to make it 0-2 with Lingaard then a Easter gift it's 1-1.
Wot game iz u watchin?
We is shit a coz they are running rings around uz
It took them 15 minutes to work out our system a coz Ole put a new system in but then we don't know wot to do

Our attacking play has turned into a 5 man defence and nothing happening up front a coz Fred is shit az iz Lukaku
Pogba's head looks like it iz in Madrid with DDG

This is piss poor an angin on

Ph and that's being positive
Thank fornicate it is half time and we can regroup and come out attacking az we iz an attackin team

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 pm

Sky Sports wrote:Dalot drives away from Vinagre down the left and picks out Lukaku in the area, but the Belgian's first touch allows Wolves to break up the attack before he can get a shot away
Lukaku that.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Well at least Smalling has scored....

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 pm

I mean we played better but we didn't take our chances. Lukaku I give up. he should have scored.

We should have been out of sight in the first 20 minutes and then look at Lukaku and Lingaard headers.

We definitely can't afford to miss clear cut chances against Barca and defend like that.

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Young and Smalling should never pull on a United shirt again, they are disasters waiting to happen, and it did tonight, we were still in the game ( just) until Young got his second yellow, stupid forwards tackle.

On tonights showing Lukaku's value decreased yet again, who the fornicate would want to buy him, even worse, why did we buy him ?

Looking more like we are going to have to build a team around a spine of Rashford, McTominay and Romero, how the fornicate Lindgard missed that header I'll never know, it was harder to miss !

Worst of all, I had to sit in the home end and listen to my mate gloating all the way home.....birth canal, wouldn't even give me a break from it at Warwick services,

Sorry Ray, you are right we need at least 8 players in the summer.

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:55 am

Part of the problem we've been having for the last few games is that Pogba has reverted to his not giving a shit persona. Strolls around the pitch, very little urgency when he has the ball, whines when he loses it and disappears for large parts of the game. He is our most talented player and when he plays well, can be the factor that guides the team to a win, but he can't be depended on to play that role unless he's seemingly in the right frame of mind

He wasn't the only player who was poor today but he is far too temperamental and inconsistent to build the team around and as far as I'm concerned his recent performances on the pitch, casts quite a bit of doubt on the premise that Mourinho was the reason for his frequent poor performances. Over the last 3 or 4 games he's looked and performed pretty much the same as he did under Mourino and there's no obvious reason for that, unless it's the beginning of a push for a move to Madrid.

Either way, talented or not, I think the club should be looking to sell him for as large a fee as possible and to replace him with a player who's not only talented but also consistent and hungry. Regardless of Pogba's talent and supposed potential, Sir Alex was obviously right as to his lack of suitability to be a United player and its probably time to try and recoup what we paid for him and move on.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:06 am

Devil Pikney wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:55 am
Part of the problem we've been having for the last few games is that Pogba has reverted to his not giving a shit persona.
The sooner this dude is shipped to Madrid or wherever his head is the better..
Never liked him, never will.
I'm not commenting on his skills & abilities (that are quite overrated anyway) but on his attitude and personality. His presence is toxic for this team.. He needs to go and the sooner the better.
He's becoming bigger than the club (in his mind at least) and it's not worth dealing with this crap..

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:24 am

I mean how is this one players fault. We could have scored with Lukaku and then Lingaard missing clear cut chances.

They had just one clear cut chance. We created our own downfall gave them a gift and then Smalling failing to deal with a cross that in panic putting it in his own net.

Do we need Pogba to carry the entire team. When he of slightly off color he gets slammed ect.

I thought Rashford would have been on the bench. Frankly Lukaku is more to blame than pogba.

There keeper was superhuman.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:46 am

raycreative wrote:
Goku wrote:

Wot game iz u watchin?
It took them 15 minutes to work out our system a coz Ole put a new system in but then we don't know wot to do

Our attacking play has turned into a 5 man defence and nothing happening up front a coz Fred is shit az iz Lukaku

Thank fornicate it is half time and we can regroup and come out attacking az we iz an attackin team
Basically the same game the first 25 mins of the first half. Who knows if we had Rashford.

To create clear cut chances like that and score the one was a bit dissipointing.

One bad result with a good performance.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 am

Goku wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:46 am
raycreative wrote:
Goku wrote:

Wot game iz u watchin?

Basically the same game the first 25 mins of the first half. Who knows if we had Rashford.

To create clear cut chances like that and score the one was a bit dissipointing.

One bad result with a good performance.
One bad result with a good performance!!!
FFS
I ask again what game were you watching?
Read the comments above coz you were watchin the wrong channel.I think you might have been watching Watford v Fulham

And now reality hits
Some never wanted Lukaku.So who bought him?
The only influence Fred had on the game was to help Wolves.So who bought him?
How much can you blame on Jose FFS?

I have been hearing about our attacking football.I have been disputing that
Did anybody notice a flat back 5?
Hardly attacking is in

A totally anonymous midfield of Fred,Pogba and McTominay
An average headless chicken in Jesse and the lampost that is Lukaku
Oh dear me

All led by a manager at the wheel that sets his team up brilliantly,to be fair,to start most matches but lacks the experience to change things around when the opposition work it out
A manager who toes the Glazer line already and tells you that Pogba wants to stay.Does anybody see anything that shows that?
And why should he.
Despite being called over rated by some he is a world class world cup winner who if played at City,Barca,Liverpool or Madrid would flourish with the worlds best players
He is no more than a commercial asset to United and he clearly wants off.As does DDG in my opinion

What's the answer
Write off this season and stop blaming Jose.He was right.This lot are shit and he didn't buy most of them

Get a commercial manager in now
Start buying the best at the earliest opportunity and convince DDG and Pogba you really are trying to build a team as well as a brand.They will both sign again and with a different attitude

To get rid of DDG who do you get?Or do you do a Glazer and keep the money and promote Romero
Who do you get to replace Pogba?Or do you do a Glazer and keep the money and promore somebody from the kids like Chong and get Ole to mutter something about "this is the future"
If that's the case then in about 18 months Ole gets the bullet and we get all the "i never wanted him" people smiling and the next new manager will have "untold hundreds of millions available"
Woodward still won't have spoken and the renew your season tickets and pre season games in Hong Kong and Norway will be in place
Glazernomics

I think Sigmar is being generous when he suggests we need 8 players
The cry goes up of ONE RIGHT BACK,TWO CENTRE HALVES,ONE RIGHT WINGER(That's 4)
If DDG and Pogba go then that's 2 more(so now 6)
Two to replace Mata and Herrara who they won't pay(that's 8)
We need somebody to get wired in and to rally and captain the midfield(that's9).I wonder if Beckenbaur is available.He would sell shirts from that position
We also need a director of football

Summary
Yet another year of decline ala Tampa Bay Buccs and yet another year of massive profit ala Tampa Bay Buccs
Another manager to be a scapegoat ala Tampa Bay Buccs
And not the slightest sign of any change coming soon

If anybody can find anything positive to say about this performance

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:51 am

We seem to be getting the usual panic filled comments after a reverse, with the toys thrown out of the pram.

Yep, we lost, but that can kinda happen in football.

Ole was not found wanting tactically though, and put in sensible adjustments.

Their goalkeeper had a great night and kept out the many chances we created against a packed defence.

And we were sloppy in defence with Fred nervous.

This is clearly a huge blow to our Championship hopes, and highlights the reality of where we are.
It did not look a few months ago as though we would even be in contention for CL places though, and progress does not happen in straight lines.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:23 am

To me it sums it up when Young our ageing right back and captain gets sent off and throws the arm band to the mighty Smalling who should not be at the club.
Neither should Jones(who has a long contract along with Smalling) neither should Lukaku,neither should Fred,neither should Sanchez tc etc
LVG was right.This was Jose football with the results
I have never bet against United but i am sorely tempted to back Barcelona against this shower of shit at even money

Let's not panic yet though
We might beat Barcelona and,City
However if we get 2 dickings can we panic then please Mr Manerring

It doesn't matter as nothing will improve at this club in terms of football aspirations
It never does

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”