Next Match: Image
Sheffield United in the Premier League.
Sunday 24th November 2019, KO 16:30 UTC.
Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Arsenal (a)

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:52 pm

RED3bution wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 pm
Goku wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm
But saying that I'd rather lose in that manner playing on the front foot then defending for dear life and getting whipped.

The team needs to bounce back and that's all that matters.
I suppose we could say that we can't out-arsenal Arsenal.
This used to be typically how Arsenal lost. They will play and press well and ended up losing and their fans will be soothed by the fact they were pushing for the win.

This team appears not to be used to pressure to be honest. I hope they continue to push for UCL places but every time they have had pressure on them they stumble. PSG first leg and this Arsenal game and it's by identical scorelines.
This is purely my examination of the team and a pattern I have observed. Mind it was more or less the same during Mourinho's time so it's more a critique of the individuals than the manager. Any thoughts?
Let's hypothetically say we stuck with the same team that played against PSG. Would Mctom have let Xhaxa shoot.

That was the weirdest goal I've ever seen. Lukaku needs to finish against this top 6 teams.

What chances did Arsenal really have? That pen and that weird goal.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:05 pm

I think the win percentage is really high with Ole at the wheel. On the law of averages we are bound to lose games.

But I mean we not that far behind anyway. Just need about 6 wins and that should do it in the prem.

Rom could have had a hatric. Let's be honest about this. But if you offered me the PSG game for losing this one at the beginning of the week I think we would have taken it.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 pm

It was a frantic game for sure. Lukaku after PSG is entitled to miss or misfire let's say for one game.
McTominay did not play. That is settled. We cannot look for maybes with individuals who did not play and for that matter regarded as second string.
Wasn't that what the romance of beating PSG was all about, beating them with essentially the second string?

The weird goal and penalty might be all they got but they used them. They made us realize how Lukaku's misses were and that's what the psychology of the game does. When you're chasing a goal and keep missing you start settling to the possibility that it might not be your day.
We must be careful talking about soft penalties after our Var aided one in Paris. I watched that one in France and to my mind it wasn't a penalty, and to me the Arsenal penalty wasn't one either so we have to live with these decisions as they are part of the game presently.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:54 pm

I say in my pre match under a positive manager like Ole we will win probably 80 to 85 percent of the matches.

Even City or LIVERPOOL had bad form. REMEMBER THAT THE UCL QF IS A CHANCE FOR US NOW.

On another day we would have won that game. No. Point in what ifs let's just move on get the sharpness back and end the season in style.

There is a lot of positives you can take from this game.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 pm

We were half a yard and a fraction of a second out in everything.
Some days it just ain't your day.

We have put the pressure on ourselves to make top four now though.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 pm

I almost expected a bit of a hiccup. The emotional high of the midweek heroics had an effect I think.

Sometimes after such a feat, it takes a lot of discipline to get back to business as usual. The joy and exhilaration felt like the end of a season, and that was perfectly understandable given the circumstances.

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm

The loss is NOT the end of the world. It was going to happen sooner or later.
It was a good game, but whatever Lady Luck gave us in Paris she took back today.. That's the reality.
If one of our two woodwork strikes hit the back of the net it would've been a totally different game.
Our strikers didn't have a good day today. The final touch and the correct decision at times eluded us. It happens.
I like the players attitude. They kept fighting until the end and whether they believed that they could get something out of the game or just played for pride and honour, it's sort of irrelevant. What matters is that they played until the end and didn't give up.

Another positive is FRED.. I wasn't impressed with him at all and I think he's still a bit shake going forward, but defensively he did really well especially breaking play and taking the ball away from the opponent. His attitude is good. So hopefully he'll improve further because no doubt there's a lot of room for improvement.

Disappointing result, but we need to be realistic. I think OLE is doing a marvellous job and this loss doesn't change the fact that he's the right man for the permanent position of Manchester United Manager

Give him the job now, so everyone can settle down. At this point him not being appointed officially is an unnecessary distraction.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Quite frustrating to lose that game, considering how many chances we created. Arsenal are so poor defensively. Lukaku had 3 one-on-ones and we didn't score. I think playing 4-4-2 wasn't a smart idea, Ramsey and Ozil had too much space in the middle. Pogba was ineffective on the left.

Rashford has been disappointing lately, very rash in some of his decisions.

If Chelsea draw next week (game in hand), then we are back to 6th :(
Arsenal don't have any of the top6, so their run in seems favorable.

Top4 is definitely doable, but our fixture lists in April is very tricky.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:33 pm

The run had to end sometime and though it's unfortunate that it occurred when we were playing such a critical match, it's still once again, sweet to be a United fan.
Quarter finals of the Champions League
Quarter finals of the FA Cup
2 points off of 4th place & 3 points off of 3rd with 8 games to go
Only thing missing from that picture is that we can't challenge for first, at least not for this season.

Come May I might be feeling like my world has ended because of results between now and then, but right now I'm enjoying myself and the football more than I have since Sir Alex left, and that includes Mourinho's first season. Winning the Europa Cup was nice but it's not the League or the Champions League and the football wasn't exactly sweet.

I hope we win every goddamn thing there is to win for the rest of the season but even if we don't, I think we've started back on the road to being the United that made us fans of this club and I don't think that one or two bad results are going to stop us.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Devil Pikney
Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Plus while Ole has been great while things have been going well, I'd like to see how he and the team (under his guidance) react to adversity. It'll give us a better picture of his ability to manage United long term.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;None but ourselves can free our minds.

"Eric Cantona is a great player, but he's not as good as Ryan Giggs" - Johan Cruyff

"Maybe one day people will say I was another Ryan Giggs" - George Best

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am

Funny that in the game we play well in, is the one we lose. Not everything went our way and the big incidents counted against us. It would've been tough to back up that Paris effort with another huge game, especially with our injuries, so as long as it doesn't derail our season we should be good

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:14 pm

My biggest disappointment from this game is that is that by not taking the advantage of the chances we made we lost the game rather than Arsenal wining it. Unlike most of the game that Ole has been in charge of, we just could not get control of the midfield. We were unable to get the ball through midfield like we have become used to seeing and resorting to long passes attempting to get the forwards involved. While watch the game live, I didn’t think that our starting with a 4-4-2 formation on defense was working but then I realized that in the first 15 minutes we had hit the crossbar twice and the upright once. We were getting chances but today they just not going in - I guess some days the dragon wins.

I have read a of blame going to deGea for the Xjaka goal, when watching live I, like deGea, thought the ball was going to right hand corner, but halfway to there is totally changed direction and caught everyone flatfooted. If any United player at any time had scored that goal, we would be claiming it as goal of the season.

With Spurs loosing, this was a real chance to remove Arsenal from the top four contension and put the screaming shits into Spurs - opportunity lost.

Thoughts and observations - not really criticism.
• We really need to try and get Rashford a rest, not likely to happen but IMO he is looking mentally tired.
• In Ole’s system, Lukaku can only play as part of a two man strike team, that leaves us with decision on how to get the midfield organized.
• Big decision to be make once Lingard comes back, how can Martial, Lukaku, Rashford and Lingard all be on the pitch together
• Pogba looked uncomfortable playing as a left winger, and it too easy for the opposition to neutralize him when he is that wide.
• Fred was schizophrenic, at times he was easily our best and worst player. On one occasion Ramsey is breaking through the middle of the pitch, Fred runs him down, tackles the ball without touching Ramsey, get up quickly, looks forward and passes the ball to an Arsenal player. Overall he had a very good game.
• At the start of the game Matic looked totally out of it, he did grow into his role in the second half.
• This game came one week too early for Martial.
• This wasn’t an attractive win for Arsenal and that should worry us.
• Their goalkeeper pulled a David deGea on us - he actually made the defense look adequate.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Thought it was probably the wrong decision to drop McTominay after the week he's had

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Being basically a 6 pointer it was a bad time to lose, but it had to happen at some point. It was a weird game to lose too, because their first goal was flukely and against the run of play and their penalty was dubious. We were the better team.

We still played well for the most part, they seemed flustered after the penalty. I was impressed with Fred, and was glad to see him building on his previous performance, I just hope the penalty doesn't discourage him.

"Make America Great Again!"

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:22 am

Relly wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:48 pm
Being basically a 6 pointer it was a bad time to lose, but it had to happen at some point. It was a weird game to lose too, because their first goal was flukely and against the run of play and their penalty was dubious. We were the better team.

We still played well for the most part, they seemed flustered after the penalty. I was impressed with Fred, and was glad to see him building on his previous performance, I just hope the penalty doesn't discourage him.
You can rely on Arsenal to slip up. With our form you could say it is championship form.

If we were chasing the title then yeah it would have been devastating. The fact is we only took back midfield after that weird goal.

As to whether it was the wind or Xhaxa hitting a Ronaldo away swinger. It's a goal that came out of nothing really.

We played well now we in 2 competitions and I think we'll get 4th place.

Every run comes to an end. Of coz now DDG knows what's it like to face swing bowling in cricket.

That split second when the ball moved was weird.

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm

lool how was arsenal's goal against run of play? they were all over us 20-25 minutes..

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm

HuSsAiN wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm
lool how was arsenal's goal against run of play? they were all over us 20-25 minutes..
The first 20 - 25 minutes where very strange; on offense we were creating all types of good chances and on another day we could have been u by 2 or 3 goals. On defense there was confusion about how was to handle what or whom: Matic and Fred didn't know who was coming and who was going, Pogba was playing almost as a "hug the line" winger on defense looking very out of place, and Dalot and Young ended up i the same area much too often. Add to this that Lindelof had his worst game since November and it was a very out of sorts first half.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:41 pm

The first goal was definitely not against the run of play. Arsenal were all over us and we looked very suspect at the back.

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:04 am

I'm still giggling about that swipe a poster took at all the Lukakau critics in the previous game's post match comments. Play Pogba in the middle, he is just ordinary. This is that lack of experience that Ole has. It looks great on paper but Pogba weakens the defensive aspect of the midfield when we play him in a 4-3-3.

Matic back, tempo of game down. Our biggest issue is that we transition between the various phases and aspects of the game far to slowly and inefficiently. Klop has an average bunch of players transitioning unbelievably.

I don't think we far off to be honest but some players need to be benched unless absolutely necessary. And as for Rashford, it seems like the boy's attitude has changed, looks like he's become big-headed. Hope they sort him out quickly.

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”