My biggest disappointment from this game is that is that by not taking the advantage of the chances we made we lost the game rather than Arsenal wining it. Unlike most of the game that Ole has been in charge of, we just could not get control of the midfield. We were unable to get the ball through midfield like we have become used to seeing and resorting to long passes attempting to get the forwards involved. While watch the game live, I didn’t think that our starting with a 4-4-2 formation on defense was working but then I realized that in the first 15 minutes we had hit the crossbar twice and the upright once. We were getting chances but today they just not going in - I guess some days the dragon wins.
I have read a of blame going to deGea for the Xjaka goal, when watching live I, like deGea, thought the ball was going to right hand corner, but halfway to there is totally changed direction and caught everyone flatfooted. If any United player at any time had scored that goal, we would be claiming it as goal of the season.
With Spurs loosing, this was a real chance to remove Arsenal from the top four contension and put the screaming shits into Spurs - opportunity lost.
Thoughts and observations - not really criticism.
• We really need to try and get Rashford a rest, not likely to happen but IMO he is looking mentally tired.
• In Ole’s system, Lukaku can only play as part of a two man strike team, that leaves us with decision on how to get the midfield organized.
• Big decision to be make once Lingard comes back, how can Martial, Lukaku, Rashford and Lingard all be on the pitch together
• Pogba looked uncomfortable playing as a left winger, and it too easy for the opposition to neutralize him when he is that wide.
• Fred was schizophrenic, at times he was easily our best and worst player. On one occasion Ramsey is breaking through the middle of the pitch, Fred runs him down, tackles the ball without touching Ramsey, get up quickly, looks forward and passes the ball to an Arsenal player. Overall he had a very good game.
• At the start of the game Matic looked totally out of it, he did grow into his role in the second half.
• This game came one week too early for Martial.
• This wasn’t an attractive win for Arsenal and that should worry us.
• Their goalkeeper pulled a David deGea on us - he actually made the defense look adequate.
I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.