Next Match: Image
West Ham United in the Premier League.
Sunday 22nd September 2019, KO 14:00 BST.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Southampton (h)

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:09 pm

Image vs. Image

Home to Southampton in the Premier League.
Saturday 2nd March 2019, KO 15:00 UTC.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Southampton (h)

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:22 am

Preview :

We drew our two home games but I expect us to win this game with some swagger. I mean after a convincing win against Crystal Palace now we playing Southampton.

Now we go into this game and then we have the big one which I still believe we'll be able to turn around.

After the saints had a good result they now come to Old Trafford. We will want to sign off the before the international break with a good result.

I think playing Pogba on the right to accommodate Sanchez was a master class as it allowed Shaw to dominate that space.

I honestly don't know who will be back if we get the big hitters back or at least seeing them on the bench will be good for us.

Make no mistake that we will have a tough game but we will start this game on the front foot with a high press.

There has been players that has stepped upto the mantle during our 1st 11 unavailability.

We have been showing championship form since Ole took over and I'm sure we'll be eyeing third position and the FA Cup.

Player to watch: Paul Pogba, suspended for the PSG game I'm sure he'll sign off with a big performance before the international break.

DDG

Dalot. Smalling. Lindelof. Shaw

Mctomie
Young. Fred
Pogba
Sanchez. Lukaku

Prediction : Home win 3-0. Man Utd to capitalize on the north London derby

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:21 am

Another possible banana skin game for us, too many time over the last few seasons these are the types of game where we dropped point and should not have. I cannot see that happening to this team with Ole at the wheel. Injuries are still a major factor and I would sooner see some of the fringe player get minute rather than rushing player back too soon.
DeGea
Dalot Bailly Lindelof Shaw
Fred McTominey Pogba
Sanchez
Lukaku Rashford

I would like to see Gomez on the bench and replacing Sanchez after about 60 minutes, save Sanchez for the PSG game. We will know the score from the Spurts vs Arsenal game before this game start and I hope that doesn't have an affect on the way we setup and play.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:01 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Another possible banana skin game for us, too many time over the last few seasons these are the types of game where we dropped point and should not have. I cannot see that happening to this team with Ole at the wheel. Injuries are still a major factor and I would sooner see some of the fringe player get minute rather than rushing player back too soon.
DeGea
Fred McTominey Pogba
Sanchez
Lukaku Rashford

I would like to see Gomez on the bench and replacing Sanchez after about 60 minutes, save Sanchez for the PSG game. We will know the score from the Spurts vs Arsenal game before this game start and I hope that doesn't have an affect on the way we setup and play.

A good small post and yet wrong or irrelevant in every point

I am sure that the Spurs v Arsenal result will not have the slightest bearing on anything happening at Old Trafford today.Especiall as any result does not affect us in any way in the slightest

As for a potential banana skin
FFS Southampton are one place above the relegation places and playing shit every week
They can only set up to defend and it depends how lethal our killer goal scorer Lukaku is going to play
This should be bread and butter for the big lump today and i fully expect him to score
Indeed i am going to have a bet on it

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:06 pm

DeGea
Young
Smalling
Lindelof
Shaw
Pereria
McTominay
Pogba
Rashford
Lukaku
Sanchez

Subs: Grant, Dalot, Chong, Rojo, Gomes, fred, Bailly

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Spurs and Arsenal draw 1 - 1, about the best result we could have asked for. Win today and we go ahead of the Gunners and will be only 3 points behind spurs for 3rd.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 pm

In front from being behind, would like another goal though.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 pm

Because of that.

Come on lads, get a third.

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Wow. What a game.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Dante wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 pm
In front from being behind, would like another goal though.
Did that third goal suit you?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm

It did just about!

Crap penalty from Pogba, that would have been much more comfortable.

Goku
Reserve
Reserve

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 pm

I always get the 3 goals right. Pog should have made it 4 now to PSG.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm

Dante wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:07 pm
It did just about!

Crap penalty from Pogba, that would have been much more comfortable.
The problem with the "none run up - run up" it that the longer it goes on the more in control of the situation the goal keeper becomes.

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:16 pm

raycreative wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:01 am
ArizonaRed wrote:
DeGea
Fred McTominey Pogba
Sanchez
Lukaku Rashford

A good small post and yet wrong or irrelevant in every point

I am sure that the Spurs v Arsenal result will not have the slightest bearing on anything happening at Old Trafford today.Especiall as any result does not affect us in any way in the slightest

As for a potential banana skin
FFS Southampton are one place above the relegation places and playing shit every week
They can only set up to defend and it depends how lethal our killer goal scorer Lukaku is going to play
This should be bread and butter for the big lump today and i fully expect him to score
Indeed i am going to have a bet on it

You'd be hard pressed to find a better forecast than the above by yours truly
I am now proud to announce a profit of £125 from Betfred as Lukaku did score as predicted.** Footnote he is till shit and his second touch is still a tackle**
The only think i underestimated is Southampton's ability to cross a ball and strike a ball which was excellent
It didn't help that our centre halves are no better than average still

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:32 pm

That was very good Ray!

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:29 am

OLE is THE MAN

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:48 pm

I've just watched the whole game on MUTV and a couple of things stood out for me.

One was that we were better with Dalot on than Sanchez, although it must be said that we had outstanding chances also when Sanchez was on the field, and that only a blinder by their goalie kept us out.

The other was that I found the substitution of Pereira in favour of Fred somewhat strange, and perhaps indicates that Ole is more defensively minded than the impression he gives.

Having said that, Fred played well when he was on, and was instrumental in our final goal.

Thought on that substitution?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm

The first half of this game was like so many we have seen over the last five plus years; we start the game on fire and quite possibly could have been up 3 - nil in the first 10 minutes. We then let Southampton start to play the way they want to play, slowing the tempo of the game with lots of delaying, focusing their attack at Young which would bring Pereira and Rashford back to help out. From my POV we were lucky not to be down more than a single goal at the half. The turning point of the game was bringing on Dalot, his pace and crossing ability added another dimension to our overall game plan. We just look so much smoother after he came on and Sanchez went off, hopefully his injury isn’t too serious. Even after Southampton tied it up at 2 - 2 (another blinder of a goal) I just knew we had that third goal in us.

In 4th place ahead of Arsenal, 3 points behind Tottenham for 3rd and our destiny totally in our hands. Not a bad weekend.

Thoughts from the game

• When played to his strengths Lukaku will get you goals, I don’t think we can do that against every team in the league but he is a viable option if he is willing to fit into that role.

• Sanchez should immediately start learning Cantonese or Mandarin because that’s going to be his where his next team plays. He doesn’t have the skills suited for the offense Ole want to play and he looks totally lost.

• I think Rashford is hurting a lot more than he or the team is letting on. I don’t think he is injured, but it looked to me like he was choosing his runs very carefully and was not as active in pressing Southampton.

• Yet again; playing any two of Lukaku, Sanchez or Mata prevents us from pressing and Saturday’s game was no exception.

• Smalling has made grabbing an opponent’s shirt so much a part of his game that I don’t think he could defend without doing it even when he doesn’t need to. Young has also picked up this habit, I just hope it not too contagious.

• Any other premier league team that had injuries to 2/3rds of their starting midfield and 2/3rds of their forward line would be falling down the table quicker than Spurs are. Ole just plugs another of the squad or younger player into the team and continues to win.

• No manager in football gets more out of his squad than Ole,

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Especially without Pogba we need Rashford at his best to have any sort of chance against PSG.
I look on the game against Southampton as more or less a vigorous training session for that.

Under Ole every player is at their best.
Unfortunately for some of the old guard their best is not enough.

Young and Smalling have been great servants, but especially the former are surely coming to the end of their run.

On the bright side Ole is just the man to bring the youngsters on, and I am well impressed with Dalot, the only one of the bunch not to be ex-academy.

Every young player will be seething to get to United.
Imagine what Ole would do with a Foden!

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:45 am

Easy, dominant win against one of the league's finest! :clap: :clap:

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

raycreative
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:10 am

ArizonaRed wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm
The first half of this game was like so many we have seen over the last five plus years; we start the game on fire and quite possibly could have been up 3 - nil in the first 10 minutes. We then let Southampton start to play the way they want to play, slowing the tempo of the game with lots of delaying, focusing their attack at Young which would bring Pereira and Rashford back to help out. From my POV we were lucky not to be down more than a single goal at the half. The turning point of the game was bringing on Dalot, his pace and crossing ability added another dimension to our overall game plan. We just look so much smoother after he came on and Sanchez went off, hopefully his injury isn’t too serious. Even after Southampton tied it up at 2 - 2 (another blinder of a goal) I just knew we had that third goal in us.

In 4th place ahead of Arsenal, 3 points behind Tottenham for 3rd and our destiny totally in our hands. Not a bad weekend.

Thoughts from the game

• When played to his strengths Lukaku will get you goals, I don’t think we can do that against every team in the league but he is a viable option if he is willing to fit into that role.

• Sanchez should immediately start learning Cantonese or Mandarin because that’s going to be his where his next team plays. He doesn’t have the skills suited for the offense Ole want to play and he looks totally lost.

• I think Rashford is hurting a lot more than he or the team is letting on. I don’t think he is injured, but it looked to me like he was choosing his runs very carefully and was not as active in pressing Southampton.

• Yet again; playing any two of Lukaku, Sanchez or Mata prevents us from pressing and Saturday’s game was no exception.

• Smalling has made grabbing an opponent’s shirt so much a part of his game that I don’t think he could defend without doing it even when he doesn’t need to. Young has also picked up this habit, I just hope it not too contagious.

• Any other premier league team that had injuries to 2/3rds of their starting midfield and 2/3rds of their forward line would be falling down the table quicker than Spurs are. Ole just plugs another of the squad or younger player into the team and continues to win.

• No manager in football gets more out of his squad than Ole,

So to sum up your assessment of what we need
TWO CENTRE HALVES,A RIGHT BACK AND A CENTRE FORWARD
You see we do agree so stop saying i talk shit
You could have been saying this all season but still they won't but the rwo centre halves and a right back as they cost money and don't sell shirts

I can see Sanchez going to China along with Lukaku as they are the only place that you can afford the contracts
With those two gone along with Fellaini the money coming in should be well over £125m and the wages saving huge
I can then see them spending £100m on a top name forward and pocketing the rest whilst giving the impression of hugely backing the managerl

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”