Next Match: Image
Watford in the Premier League.
Saturday 30th March 2019, KO 15:00 UTC.
Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Re: Pre/Post Match Discussion: Premier League vs Liverpool (h)

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Dante wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:42 pm
It was the build up.
I was under the impression that if the ball came off an opposing player, then everyone was onside, especially if it ends up in the net, knowing the scouse it was probably them who got the law changed

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Whoever crossed the ball in was in an offside position when they received it. So it doesn't matter that they then cross it in and a Liverpool player puts it in their own net, the offence already occurred. It was tight though.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:13 pm

Souness nearly losing it in the studio, whilst trying to praise Liverpool, decided the presenter was looking at him funny!
https://talksport.com/football/500133/g ... er-united/

Dipper in a twist, as they drop two points!

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Reminds me of when Mike Summerbee had a meltdown a few years ago with his "I don't believe in stats" rant.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 pm

Heh, I saw that at the time, thought that he was gonna chin him!

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 pm

The dippers are panic merchants.
Some of them are calling for Klopp's head, when they are top of the League!

Sure, I've loathed our managers since SAF, and so have many, but loyalty counts here.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:30 am

This game showed just how transformed the club is. The chips are down, and every one played their role to perfection. On another day we could've taken the game to them, but everyone put in a shift. Cant remember De Gea having to do anything, while Lukaku put 2 chances on a plate for us

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 am

Dante wrote: Whoever crossed the ball in was in an offside position when they received it. So it doesn't matter that they then cross it in and a Liverpool player puts it in their own net, the offence already occurred. It was tight though.
Sigmar wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:08 pm
Dante wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:42 pm
It was the build up.
I was under the impression that if the ball came off an opposing player, then everyone was onside, especially if it ends up in the net, knowing the scouse it was probably them who got the law changed
:laugh: :laugh:

Don't even understand the laws of the game

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 am

Under the circumstances a very good result for both teams
In the old days,when we were chasing for the championships a draw at home would have been points lost but at the present now that we are after a fourth position it is a good result
Liverpool did very well with the ball in midfield but rarely threatened to get through the defence
Liverpools entire game appears to revolve around Milners passing/crossing ability and Salah's pace
With Shaw absolutely magnificent and having Salah in his pocket there was no plan B for Liverpool

Ole had worked out the Liverpool plan in advance and put Pogba out wide left to help to help cover for Shaw.
United has Mata and Herrara as the key playmakers but once both got injured United had to reorganise
That actully helped because Sanchez went wide left to release Pogba to more of a centre midfield role
As lacking as Liverpool were up front so,realistically were United
With Rasgford clearly struggling to finish the game the only way left for United to score were either set pieces or the lump Lukaku
The latter was never going to happen however he did set up a game winning opportunity in the last minute when the ball flashed across the goal from a Lukaku cross
A fair result for a game neither side wanted to lose and neither side ever looked like winning

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 am

Good points:

Pogba: More interceptions than any other player
Rashford: More high intensity sprints than any other player - not bad on one leg

Bad points:

DDG did almost nothing.
What do we need him for? :think:

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 am

Reality check:

As Alan Shearer said, the Pool attack was far from their best, and did not press as they are accustomed to.

We have a big step to climb to be competitive with, say, a full strength PSG, or City on song.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:12 pm

Things learned
• We are nowhere near as piss poor a squad as some would have you believe.
• Ole knows how to get the very best from this team, and this team wants to play for Ole. There is not a manager in football who could get more from this team.
• Ole isn't only a feel good, have fun manager, he does have a Plan B, and a Plan C, D …. On Sunday he did a masterful job adapting to the injuries, before and during the game.
• Liverpool are not as good a team as started the season.
• United are not as bad as they looked in early December.
• What little room for discussion there was that Pogba isn’t already a world class player ended after this Sunday’s game. Over the last two months he has been allowed to show every facet of his skills and has excelled in all of them.
• Sign Rashford to a lifetime contract and build the team around him, Martial, Pogba and deGea.
• Lukaku gave 100% effort on Sunday, unfortunately that still wasn’t very good. I don’t think he can find a way to play the way Ole wants his forwards to play.
• Almost the same comment for Sanchez; he was very energetic and covered a lot of ground but it’s a good thing that he had Pogba to cover when he got hisself out of position.
• This TEAM fought like hell for themselves, the fans and for Ole. Get a Director of Football hired and announce Ole as the manager as soon as possible.

Just a side note; this season by every measurement possible we are a better defensive team under Ole that we were under Mourinho.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Arizona:

As you say.
Plus we now have IMO a potentially world class LB

Lukaku whatever his faults is generous and a great team player.
Here is what he says about Shaw:

'“Luke Shaw has been the best player of the season for me,” Lukaku told reporters after Sunday's match.

“He has been brilliant since the start. Throughout the summer we kept in touch and I remember when he was in New York he was sending me videos of him running on the treadmill.

“I was in Russia for the World Cup and I got these videos and I saw someone who was going to come back and be good.

“He scored in the first game of the season against Leicester City and he has never looked back.

“He has always had the potential of being one of the best left-backs in the world, from the time when I used to play against him when he was at Southampton to now.'
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/r ... year-award

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:31 pm

We have 'Man of the Match' nominations.
Shaw however had two legs.

May I suggest we should also have 'Leg of the Match?'

Rash did a phenomenal job on one! :D

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Ole and our team are not about to allow injuries to provide an excuse for poor performance:

'the England defender revealed interim boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was unhappy with United’s first-half display.

Shaw said: “We had a good chat at half-time. Everyone was going crazy. We were all very disappointed and didn’t play well at all.

“We gave too many balls away too cheaply and luckily that didn’t cost us. We said ‘relax and we just need to play our game’ and I think second-half was better with a change of formation.

“Overall I think we created the best chances and I feel we should have won even if we weren’t at our best.”'

https://talksport.com/football/500756/m ... luke-shaw/

How good is it to be a Red right now? :clap: :dance:

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Rashford kept LFC’s back line at bay on a total bluff, it was almost painful watching him running because he was one hurting unit.

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Arizona:

No bluff.
He was still motoring as he completely disregarded his injury when he was sprinting.
I just hope he has not damaged himself for some time, as Mata fears he may have done himself by getting back to defend when his own leg was, to use a technical medical term, well fornicate.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Maybe it’s just me but it appeared to me that the more Rashford hobbled around the pitch the more the Liverpool back four became frightened of him.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:10 pm

DaveMart wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 am
Reality check:

As Alan Shearer said, the Pool attack was far from their best, and did not press as they are accustomed to.

We have a big step to climb to be competitive with, say, a full strength PSG, or City on song.
So we need a reality check because we stifled the so called best eva attack europe has ever seen

Just a word on Lukaku, put a chance on a plate for Lingard, and a striker attacks that ball to the back post that Smalling didn't anticipate

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

DaveMart
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm

Sandies:

Sure, we restricted them and with Luke Shaw in the vanguard we did not allow them to play their game.

But we are deluding ourselves if we imagine that that was Pool at their best.

They did not press as they often do, and the support from midfield was lousy,

A more attacking midfield might have given us more gaps, but I prefer to be pessimistic in evaluating the standards to which we need to rise to compete at the very top.

We should be circumspect, and evaluate against the best Pool can do, just as we have to realise that the PSG at full strength would be better with Neymar et al than the ones who bested us.

Under Ole I think we can compete with the very best, but we have to recognise what is still to do, and where we currently fall short.

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 am

Kumbaya!!! Should have waited and sold Fellaini at the end of the season Ole! Should not have risked a player with a hamstring injury Ole! A team that comes to OT and has more than 60% possession is a no-no in the Utd culture Ole! Rashford is not as good as you think Ole, give him time to settle in.

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

raycreative
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am

Colin Francis wrote:
Kumbaya!!! Should have waited and sold Fellaini at the end of the season Ole! Should not have risked a player with a hamstring injury Ole! A team that comes to OT and has more than 60% possession is a no-no in the Utd culture Ole! Rashford is not as good as you think Ole, give him time to settle in.
Absolutely
All the todger bashers need to take a step back and consider where this team actually are and what is the genuine ambition for the owners

We currently have 3 or 4 top class players for the future
They are Shaw,Pogba,Matic,and Rashford
You can almost certainly add Martial to that list so we have 5--**footnote.I am not sure why the Martial deal is taking so long to finanlise as it should be a no brainer
We do not yet have our goalkeeper signed up-Footnote-He has indicated that he wants to stay badly so what is the proble.?Give him the going rate
So that could/should be 5

We have other players who could step up such as Sanchez and you have to add Jesse in the very good squad member catergory

So what else do we have
Herrara has a one year extension and it looks like the end for Valencia and Mata.and Rojo.Valencia is an easy decision.He is done
Mata is a bit of a debate for me for possibly one extra season and Rojo is knackered

I would keep one of Jones or Smalling as a back up but we are very weak at centre half if we have ambitions to challenge at the top
Lindelof is improving and is versatile so no issues in that position
Bailly is fair/good but has a mistake in him
Young is coming towards the end at right back but i would give one of he kids a chance to sign

We have some dead weight with no hope of ever becoming a United player
Lukaku and Fred spring to mind.

So what don't we have
We don't have a manger
We don't have a director of football
We don't have a quality squd that is strong and we are lacking in a few key positions
So what is the ambition of this club??
Top 4 without a serious chance of challenging?
Happy with a last 8 place in the Champions league without a serious chance of winning it?

Wait and see!!
So what will make you happy?

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:38 am

I'ts very difficult to comment on a game when you are seeing it from one angle, and not having the benefit of seventy different angles on a TV, slo mo and replays. But what you can see and sense in the 'real' stands is the belief that we have a squad that wants to play for a manager, and will give 150% when needed, a team/squad does not need to be full of top internatioal players occasionally you need a John O'Shea.
We may not on paper have the best squad in the Prem, but I would argue that we now have ne of the best 'teams' and if you don't have a team, you don't perform at your best.
There is a general feeling around the stands ( well the Stretty), that Ole should be given the job, no matter what happens over the rest of the season, we are in a better postion than we were, he is breaking records, not only as a United manager but also as a premiership manager, 26 points in 10 games, never been done before, at first people were saying "yes but look at the opposition" well they cannot say that now, and we are performing better against the same teams we were facing in the first half of the season.
Despite pontifications from certain posters, no-one knows what the board will decide, but one thing is sure in my mind and that is Pochettino is not the man for the job, he has no better credentials than the man currently doing it.

Sigmar
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 am

Colin Francis wrote:
Fellaini wouldn't even make the bench now, he was struggling to do it when Ole arrived.

You fail to appreciate that even without Fellaini and playing with 10.5 men we stifled what is supposed to be the best attacking force in Europe, never mind the prem, when Firmino went off, Liverpools attack died, Mo Salah is not Allah, he is not perfect, Shaw showed the world how to deal with him, other defenders will watch that perforance and learn from it, it's going to be interesting to see how 'good' Salah really is after this.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”