Next Match: Image
Valencia in the Champions League.
Wednesday 12th December 2018, KO 20:00 UTC.
Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Where do United go from here?

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:43 pm

raycreative wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 am
Aye Aye
Michael Carrick has said in an interview that he would like to be a manager one day
Maybe I’m a cynic but I can already see Scouse Ed being proud to announce about next April(ish)that the club has appointed Steve Bruce and Michael Carrick as joint managers
Well it would be a cheap option and we know the Glazers like cheap
It also is a good sound bite
So cheap is funding transfers to the tune of £1bn, I'd hate to know what you think expensive is

Life is what you have to put up with when you are not dead

raycreative
Academy Player
Academy Player

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Sigmar wrote:
raycreative wrote:
Aye Aye
Michael Carrick has said in an interview that he would like to be a manager one day
Maybe I’m a cynic but I can already see Scouse Ed being proud to announce about next April(ish)that the club has appointed Steve Bruce and Michael Carrick as joint managers
So cheap is funding transfers to the tune of £1bn, I'd hate to know what you think expensive is
Well that's an interesting one line statement you make sir
You have said no more to give me a clue but i suspect that the figure is what the Glazers have spent whilst owning the club
If that is indeed what you are inferring then i would like to take you a bit deeper
What percentage of the total income is the billion?
how does the billion spent on players compare to what the owners have taken out?
How much did the club actually need investment?
How much success has that bought?
How much should it have bought?

So let's pick up some points which i believe are relevant.You may disagree
I don't think there is much doubt that the club at the moment is a current 6th or 7th placed quality team
Indeed it is clearly on the continued way down to me
So when did this start,whose fault is it and go to back to the topic,where do we go from here?

For me a good staring point is the retirement of SAF
Yes we were champions but it was an ageing tired team that only a manager of the quality of SAF could carry over the line
What happened SAF retired is exactly what happened after Sir Matt Busby retired
The team had just won the European Cup but lack of leadership at the top coupled with lack of investment meant that only 5 years later the club was relegated to Division 2
I don't rule out that scenario for this team either
What happened next was dose of reality.Investment plus attacking play with wingers lead by the Doc coupled with a desire to rebuild a football team meant the corner was turned
I don't envisage the desire to turn a corner with these owners.I don't see a requirement for success
Woodward has recently openly admitted in a conference call that success is not important
Is there a desire by the owners for success?
I would suggest there is no more desire than there is at Newcastle under Mike Ashley.Another one to whom thedollar is king and everything else can go and screw itself

So back to 2013 when SAF left
That team was toast.Let's pick our way through the squad he left
DDG in goal has improved.Woodward did try to sell him.He believed he had.Thank goodness the fax machine broke down on Madrid

At fullbacks we had Rafael,Evra,Tony Valencia and Ashley Young
Apart from Evra all the others are still playing.They were almost done then and they have not been replaced
Why were we not in for Danilo or Walker

Centre halves were Rio Ferdinand,Vidic, with Phil Jones,Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling as back up
Woodward let Ferdinanrd and Vidic retire and has not replaced them.Just used reserve centre halves from then and has a few cheap dabbles at unknowns
Why did he not get MacGuire or Alderweld or Van Dyke.All have been available and we were not in

In midfield we have let Carrick,Scholes and Giggs retire and apart from Pogba and Sanchez we have not replaced them

Up front we have let Wazza retire and Van Persie retire and all we have is Lukaku.I just do not believe the £70+ million price tag.I believe it was £30/35 million plus Wazza.If you say Wazza was £30m then you are getting close but i think Woodward is playing a numbers game

So who has not bought or bought badly.
Was it Moyes or LVG or Jose or all 3
They have one thing in common.All appointed by Woodward with presumably Glazer blessing
All cost nothing.No compensation needed.
All are now giving you clues now that they are out of possible barring out clauses or just don't give a shit like Jose
Moyes said he was given a 6 year contract and can't understand why he wasn't given more time
LVG won the FA Cup and got the bullet as he was collecting the cup.Was he a bad manager or did he do well with the squad Woodward bought him
Jose won the UEFA cup and tells you he gave Woodward five names of defenders he wanted.He got NONE
Is therefore our current shit defence Jose's fault or not.Does he play defensive to let the midfield protect the shit that calles itself defenders

Let's move onto what has been spent net since SAF retired
2013/14 £68 million
2014/15 £130 million.Key purchases-Di Maria(shirt seller) who didn't want to come and left quickly,Luke Shaw and Ander Herrara who eventually arrived after Woodward had pissed around low balling Bilbao for 2 years despite being aware that Bilbao never accept an offer.They put a price on a player and you either pay or you don't.We wasted a full season because of Woodward
2015/16 £49 million-That's sod all in todays market for a team in serious need of players
2016/17 £124m-Key signings are two shirt sellers in Pogba and Zlatan(both brought in to sell shirts)
2017/18 £137 million of which most was Lukaku and as stated earlier i don't believe the figure
and finally 2018/19 £50m which is chicken feed
Add that up and you get just over £500m in 6 seasons

What did we need after SAF left
at least 2 class fullbacks budget £50m each ie £100m
2 top class centre halves @ £70m each £140m
one reserve centre half @ £30m
Midfiled,$ players to replace Carrick,Scholes,Giggs and Kagawa @ £75m each £300m
Forwards 2 to replace Wazza and RVP @£80m and
Two wingers ala Bale and Ronaldo @£100m each £200m
Add that up and we needed and could have afforded to have spent £850 m
Quite a bit short eh!!!

Now let's compare that to other things.
It is suggested that the 6 Glazers take £15m each per season so that's £90 million for the 6 seasons above so £540 million(about the same as invested in players)
On top of that they are leaving a good amount in the brand coffers which is their's to take when they want
Do you want a guess at how much the income from TV and Sponsorship and tours is?
I have no idea as a lot of that is straight out to the Caymans

So what happens next?
I predict Jose will be by the end of the season
I predict that Pogba and Martial at the very least will be gone with him
We will go on tour to China and make a fortune
Woodward will swirl rumours that he is leaving the tour on urgent transfer business again
We will get a cheap fullback and a cheap centre half
We will get a shirt seller like Griezman and a manager dream team the likes of Stevie Bruce and Michael Carrick or Roy Keane

I would be interested in your thoughts

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 am

raycreative wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:47 pm
Sigmar wrote:
raycreative wrote:
Aye Aye
Well that's an interesting one line statement you make sir
You have said no more to give me a clue but i suspect that the figure is what the Glazers have spent whilst owning the club
If that is indeed what you are inferring then i would like to take you a bit deeper
What percentage of the total income is the billion?
how does the billion spent on players compare to what the owners have taken out?
How much did the club actually need investment?
How much success has that bought?
How much should it have bought?

So let's pick up some points which i believe are relevant.You may disagree
I don't think there is much doubt that the club at the moment is a current 6th or 7th placed quality team
Indeed it is clearly on the continued way down to me
So when did this start,whose fault is it and go to back to the topic,where do we go from here?

For me a good staring point is the retirement of SAF
Yes we were champions but it was an ageing tired team that only a manager of the quality of SAF could carry over the line
What happened SAF retired is exactly what happened after Sir Matt Busby retired
The team had just won the European Cup but lack of leadership at the top coupled with lack of investment meant that only 5 years later the club was relegated to Division 2
I don't rule out that scenario for this team either
What happened next was dose of reality.Investment plus attacking play with wingers lead by the Doc coupled with a desire to rebuild a football team meant the corner was turned
I don't envisage the desire to turn a corner with these owners.I don't see a requirement for success
Woodward has recently openly admitted in a conference call that success is not important
Is there a desire by the owners for success?
I would suggest there is no more desire than there is at Newcastle under Mike Ashley.Another one to whom thedollar is king and everything else can go and screw itself

So back to 2013 when SAF left
That team was toast.Let's pick our way through the squad he left
DDG in goal has improved.Woodward did try to sell him.He believed he had.Thank goodness the fax machine broke down on Madrid

At fullbacks we had Rafael,Evra,Tony Valencia and Ashley Young
Apart from Evra all the others are still playing.They were almost done then and they have not been replaced
Why were we not in for Danilo or Walker

Centre halves were Rio Ferdinand,Vidic, with Phil Jones,Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling as back up
Woodward let Ferdinanrd and Vidic retire and has not replaced them.Just used reserve centre halves from then and has a few cheap dabbles at unknowns
Why did he not get MacGuire or Alderweld or Van Dyke.All have been available and we were not in

In midfield we have let Carrick,Scholes and Giggs retire and apart from Pogba and Sanchez we have not replaced them

Up front we have let Wazza retire and Van Persie retire and all we have is Lukaku.I just do not believe the £70+ million price tag.I believe it was £30/35 million plus Wazza.If you say Wazza was £30m then you are getting close but i think Woodward is playing a numbers game

So who has not bought or bought badly.
Was it Moyes or LVG or Jose or all 3
They have one thing in common.All appointed by Woodward with presumably Glazer blessing
All cost nothing.No compensation needed.
All are now giving you clues now that they are out of possible barring out clauses or just don't give a shit like Jose
Moyes said he was given a 6 year contract and can't understand why he wasn't given more time
LVG won the FA Cup and got the bullet as he was collecting the cup.Was he a bad manager or did he do well with the squad Woodward bought him
Jose won the UEFA cup and tells you he gave Woodward five names of defenders he wanted.He got NONE
Is therefore our current shit defence Jose's fault or not.Does he play defensive to let the midfield protect the shit that calles itself defenders

Let's move onto what has been spent net since SAF retired
2013/14 £68 million
2014/15 £130 million.Key purchases-Di Maria(shirt seller) who didn't want to come and left quickly,Luke Shaw and Ander Herrara who eventually arrived after Woodward had pissed around low balling Bilbao for 2 years despite being aware that Bilbao never accept an offer.They put a price on a player and you either pay or you don't.We wasted a full season because of Woodward
2015/16 £49 million-That's sod all in todays market for a team in serious need of players
2016/17 £124m-Key signings are two shirt sellers in Pogba and Zlatan(both brought in to sell shirts)
2017/18 £137 million of which most was Lukaku and as stated earlier i don't believe the figure
and finally 2018/19 £50m which is chicken feed
Add that up and you get just over £500m in 6 seasons

What did we need after SAF left
at least 2 class fullbacks budget £50m each ie £100m
2 top class centre halves @ £70m each £140m
one reserve centre half @ £30m
Midfiled,$ players to replace Carrick,Scholes,Giggs and Kagawa @ £75m each £300m
Forwards 2 to replace Wazza and RVP @£80m and
Two wingers ala Bale and Ronaldo @£100m each £200m
Add that up and we needed and could have afforded to have spent £850 m
Quite a bit short eh!!!

Now let's compare that to other things.
It is suggested that the 6 Glazers take £15m each per season so that's £90 million for the 6 seasons above so £540 million(about the same as invested in players)
On top of that they are leaving a good amount in the brand coffers which is their's to take when they want
Do you want a guess at how much the income from TV and Sponsorship and tours is?
I have no idea as a lot of that is straight out to the Caymans

So what happens next?
I predict Jose will be by the end of the season
I predict that Pogba and Martial at the very least will be gone with him
We will go on tour to China and make a fortune
Woodward will swirl rumours that he is leaving the tour on urgent transfer business again
We will get a cheap fullback and a cheap centre half
We will get a shirt seller like Griezman and a manager dream team the likes of Stevie Bruce and Michael Carrick or Roy Keane

I would be interested in your thoughts
A good post, but totally irrellevant, I stopped reading after the second line.

The £1bn is what has been spent ( give or take a bob or two) on players since SAF left, it doesn't matter what percentage of revenue it is, it is still £1bn, and has produced very little in return for silverware.

Moyes bought four players, yes four not two, he bought Valera, Fellaini, Mata and Janko. if you don't count academy players he released then 6 left the club and Giggs retired.
Of the four Moyes bought, only Mata was worth the money paid and has improved the squad.

Van Gaal bought nine players, of which only Shaw and Herrera are first team players, the rest have either been lost by the wayside, or been transfered out.

Mourinho is by far the biggest spender, and yet he is the one who is shouting the most for more players.

Despite all these attempts and despite all the money spent, all the players that have left or shown the door we are still hanging onto, Fellaini, Jones and Smalling, the reason for this is that they are slightly more reliable than what we have bought in.

You cannot blame the owners for the crap team, you have to look first at the quality of players you have, and then if you are happy with that, you look at the quality of the coaching.
Mourinho is well known for coaching the talent out of players, his game plan is score one, then sit back and defend, it used to work, it doesn't anymore, it could work if we had a defence of quality like he had at Chelsea, we don't have that, we have Mike Smalling, and Phil Jones, we also play an aging winger at left back and expect him to leg it up and down the touchline like a greyhound.

Claiming the Glazers are not investing in the team, is like blaming the Captain or a cruise ship for the quality of the food in the dining rooms !

If it is true that Mourinho gave Woodward a shopping list, and Wooward failed to capture those players, then the problems run deeper, it could be that top players don't want to come to United because of the lack of European success, or it could be that they simply don't like Mourinho, his reputation of being a whinging bastard blaming everyone except himself, is well known.
We need to start again at grass roots, we had the best scouts in the country, spotting talent and bringing it back, we had top scouts who could see a great player, before he was a great player, we don't have that anymore.

raycreative
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:20 am

interesting comments but they could be totally in the wrong direction

Has Jose spent so much or has Woodward negotiated and bought these players?
When Jose publicly declared he had given Woodward a list of 5 players,thus making Woodward look either incapable or unwilling to get them there was not a word of denial
At that point ie the start of this season Jose appeared to lose all interest in this club and is clearly playing to be paid off
Indeed there is a strong rumour that Pogba was bought,mainly for commercial reasons by Woodward with Jose having reservations
Same comment for the other ex managers
I am not claiming that the Glazers are not investing in the team
I am claiming they are not investing as much as they need to or on the right players to improve the team as opposed to the commercial view
I am claiming that they are bleeding out far more than they morally should and the percentage of what they take as opposed to what they spend on the club is way out of proportion
Also i am claiming they have no desire or requirement for success on the field
It is easy to prove this by looking at their other sporting model Tampa Bay Buccaneers where the team has deteriorate to such a level that second bottom is deemed a success and a half full stadium is something that rarely happens
Yet by selling their draft picks and taking their percentage of TV money means a very successful profit

Gary Neville summed it up brilliantly in Manchester and i am sure there are plenty of Tampa Bay supporters who feel the same way
"This club is rotten to the core and the club and its transfer policies are run by people who know nothing about football and everything about business.The only two who understand football above Jose,Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson are not consulted on transfers"
Thus,i believe,proving my suggestion that the blame for the current and recent crap teams lie squarly at the door of Woddward,who is doing the arsewiping for the Glazers

However if you are happy with what we have and are sure why we have it there isonky one answer
Get rid of Jose and get another top manager in.There must be plenty wanting the job

Udit Misra
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:16 am

"Saudi Arabia's ruling Salmans – who are said to be worth £850bn – are reportedly interested in buying the football giants from existing American owners the Glazers.

According to reports from the Middle East the price would be around £4bn.

The move would form part of the Salmans' plan to diversify Saudi Arabia's future economy away from oil.

They also hope to compete with fellow Gulf states Qatar and the United Arab Emirates as world football powers.

Qatar owns French giants Paris St Germain and is hosting the 2022 World Cup."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... r-billions

I know it's only the Daily Star, but thoughts?

raycreative
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 am

as far as i am aware the Glazers don't have the slightest interest in selling either Manchester United or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Both are huge cash cows that provide them with a massive income and an increasing value

United give them almost £100 million a year in dividends whilst the club has grown in value to be worth an estimated £4 billion whilst on the playing side we have seen nothing but turmoil and the squad sliding backwards
As success commercially has nothing to do with success on the field(Woodwards words,not mine) then if you were a Glazer given the current commercial model you can see the club in 5 years time having given them half a billion in dividends and be worth possibly £5 billion
As such any possible buyer would need to offer the Glazers well in excess of £6 billion
The only hope this club would be for sale is that it is often rumoured that a couple of the six siblings would be happy to sell especially Darcy Glazer
That might just be a chink in the armour however is she was insistent i would suspect the others would pay her off presumably using the clubs own money.Well that's the way they operate isn't it?

I would not be surprised to see Saudi Arabia's family looking to buy a football club but of the obvious targets i think Chelsea are the most vulnerable.
Abramovitch doesn't want it any more but apparently his son loves having it as a plaything which will make it more difficult
Arsenal wouldn't probably be for sale and City and Liverpool are definately not
An interesting topic

Sigmar
Academy Player
Academy Player

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 am

raycreative wrote:

When Jose publicly declared he had given Woodward a list of 5 players,thus making Woodward look either incapable or unwilling to get them there was not a word of denial
At that point ie the start of this season Jose appeared to lose all interest in this club and is clearly playing to be paid off
Indeed there is a strong rumour that Pogba was bought,mainly for commercial reasons by Woodward with Jose having reservations
I am claiming they are not investing as much as they need to or on the right players to improve the team as opposed to the commercial view
I am claiming that they are bleeding out far more than they morally should and the percentage of what they take as opposed to what they spend on the club is way out of proportion
It is easy to prove this by looking at their other sporting model Tampa Bay Buccaneers where the team has deteriorate to such a level that second bottom is deemed a success and a half full stadium is something that rarely happens
Yet by selling their draft picks and taking their percentage of TV money means a very successful profit

Gary Neville summed it up brilliantly in Manchester and i am sure there are plenty of Tampa Bay supporters who feel the same way
"This club is rotten to the core and the club and its transfer policies are run by people who know nothing about football and everything about business.The only two who understand football above Jose,Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson are not consulted on transfers"
Thus,i believe,proving my suggestion that the blame for the current and recent crap teams lie squarly at the door of Woddward,who is doing the arsewiping for the Glazers

However if you are happy with what we have and are sure why we have it there isonky one answer
Get rid of Jose and get another top manager in.There must be plenty wanting the job
I dont have any ideas of the inner working of the club, or how Joses mind works, I am a little sceptical that Gary Neville is that close to the inner circle of the club now.

Claiming the Glazers have no interest in the success of the club on the field is to me a curved ball, while that may be true of Tampa Bay, Football is totally diffferent game, commercial success goes hand in hand with success on the pitch, a few years not finishing in the top three, or failing to qualify for ECL competition would soon knock a lot of value off United, and those commercial investors would find others to sponsor.

Pogba is an oxymoron, there is no doubt that for Juve and France he was/is a significant player, that doesn't however translate to his performance at United, it does seem to me that he is here at the club against his will, and would of preferred a move to Real or Barca. As for the selling shirts, I was the impression that the deal negotiated with Nike means Nike get all the profits from shirt sales

Lukaku is another signing I don't understand, £75m for what is basically a mid table player, we just don't spend that much on Everton players, they buy from us !, plus did we really need him, when we had the likes of Rashford on the fringe, and getting regular goals.

If I were a conspiracy theorist, watching United play, and looking at team selections, and substitutions, I would think that Jose is sending out players to lose, it's almost as if he wants the sack !

raycreative
Academy Player
Academy Player

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am

Sigmar wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 am
raycreative wrote:

I dont have any ideas of the inner working of the club, or how Joses mind works, I am a little sceptical that Gary Neville is that close to the inner circle of the club now.

Claiming the Glazers have no interest in the success of the club on the field is to me a curved ball, while that may be true of Tampa Bay, Football is totally diffferent game, commercial success goes hand in hand with success on the pitch, a few years not finishing in the top three, or failing to qualify for ECL competition would soon knock a lot of value off United, and those commercial investors would find others to sponsor.

Pogba is an oxymoron, there is no doubt that for Juve and France he was/is a significant player, that doesn't however translate to his performance at United, it does seem to me that he is here at the club against his will, and would of preferred a move to Real or Barca. As for the selling shirts, I was the impression that the deal negotiated with Nike means Nike get all the profits from shirt sales

Lukaku is another signing I don't understand, £75m for what is basically a mid table player, we just don't spend that much on Everton players, they buy from us !, plus did we really need him, when we had the likes of Rashford on the fringe, and getting regular goals.

If I were a conspiracy theorist, watching United play, and looking at team selections, and substitutions, I would think that Jose is sending out players to lose, it's almost as if he wants the sack !
I think you are mostly correct and we agree on much of what you have said
I also think that Jose is playing for the sack.
Why??
Is it because he is that sort of character that is just a 2/3 season manger or has he or feels he has been let down by the owners.We will never know but he is clearly,for me playing for the sack

Gary Neville is still very close to the inner circle
Nicky Butt is a coach of the kids at Old Trafford and both Nicky and Gary are involved together is Salford City and Hotel Football

Lukaku-We agree that he is just an average player
I can't say for sure how United value a player but the commercial hype is vital to this club so the more they say a player is worth the more they can push him commercially
The Lukaku deal was put together with the following in mind
It was a sum of cash plus Wazza.The more you put on Wazza the more you put on Lukaku
I think Everton were as keen to look like they were getting as expensive a player as United were
I hear rumours that United paid £30m plus Wazza.If you say Wazza was done then you have a £30m Lukaku.If you say Wazza was £25m then you have a £55m Lukaku and so on
Also remember that United knocked off £8m for Michael Keane from Burnley to Everton
As such i believe that United only handed over(over 4 seasons) £22m for Lukaku
Nobody else was in for him and i remember Wazza's dad telling me after a United game that Everton were glad to get rid of him(Wazza's dad is an Everton fan)

Pogba-As these sponsorship deals are complicated it is simple to say that the shirt sponsors get a lot but not all of the shirt sales,the player gets sponsorship deals non shirts,boots and a lot else
United get a lot of sponsorship money.The more shirts the player sells the more leverage the club have on the number
Short term signings like Falcao,Zlatan the great and Schweinsteiger are dealth with differently where the player,the club and the shirt manufacturer all get different percentages
That is why i am not ruling out Zlatan coming back over Xmas when the MLS season ends

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Looks like Shaw didnt like the look of chelsea

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

raycreative
Academy Player
Academy Player

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm

Sandies wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm
Looks like Shaw didnt like the look of chelsea
Maybe Chelsea didn't fancy Shaw or the wages he was possibly asking or the length of contract
It will all be money based only from all sides

One swallow doesn't make a summer

Tell me when we buy a proven right back,two proven centre halves and a winger

raycreative
Academy Player
Academy Player

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:55 am

A few phone calls made last night and i think i have got to the bottom of the Shaw deal
He wanted to go to Chelsea and believed that Chelsea were very up for him
He believed that Chelsea would pay him a massive signing on fee plus about £150/200k per week ie £7.5/10 million a year
It appears that Chelsea are not making those sorts of commitments at the moment with Abramovitch now living in Israel and not being sure of the way forward
Thy apparently offered him a 3 year plus 1 add on at about the same wages as United and no signing on fee ie £150k a week(£7.5 million a year)

United offered him a 5 year deal at £150k a week ie £7.5 milion a year
Before anybody gets excited and thinks United have suddenly become great paymaster it was explained to me that to let a now proven top quality left back go on a free and replace him with another proven left back can cost an anticipated £30/35 million.He would want a salary of £150k a week so over 4 years the cost would be another £30 million
Just a common sense business deal for United

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”