Next Match: Image
Southampton in the Premier League.
Momday 13th July 2020, KO 20:00 UTC.
Mike
Reserve
Reserve

Post Match Thread - Everton (Away)

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Well that was terrible. Sideways passsing, backwards passing, no penetration, simply not good enough.

Things might get a bit nervy from here on in.

We should scrape 4th. But I think we'll scrape it.

Final note: De Gea's mind looked elsewhere today.

Raymond
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: Post Match Thread - Everton (Away)

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Shaw MOTM again, what a player, I think he's been our best player in nearly every game he played this season.

"He puts his head where others are scared to put their feet" - Robin Van Persie on Nemanja Vidić

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:09 pm

disappointing to watch us against Everton. for me, it is a full 90 minutes of frustration especially when we tried to attack and that defense are leaking goals on each counter attack Everton is trying to do.
DDG didn't help himself there is one great save 'til the end but seems his mind is at lost today.

Mike
Reserve
Reserve

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 pm

agree with both posts.

We need more pace in the side IMO. Summer will be interesting.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Last week against Chelsea, Mourinho showed the rest of the league how to beat this Van Gaal team. Keep the opponent and the ball in front of you, harass the ball to stop up any chance of a fast break before it begins, pack the defensive area, give United the ball on the outside of the pitch, wait for a mistake (we will make mistakes) and then hit quickly on a break. Chelsea pulled this game plan off almost to perfection and Everton just showed the league that Chelsea’s level of talent isn't needed to make it work; this was like watching Chelsea lite.

Although the defense will catch a great deal of flack for some of their schoolboy antics there where some mitigating circumstances, we committed everyone, including Smalling and Mc Nair, into retaining possession and when we turned the ball over there where aces of space for Everton players to run into. As a deep playmaking midfielder who’s job is to protects the back four Blind just doesn’t cut the mustard, I would question that he isn’t even as fast Carrick (a group of word I did not believe could be put into a sentence). He doesn’t have the same positional awareness, his passing lacks pace, accuracy and that edge that can open up defenses. I do not want to sound like I am placing all the blame for our performance on Blind, there was plenty of bad performances out there today, but that is the area of the pitch where the offense and defense should converge and today it was sadly lacking.

If the purpose of an offense it to retain possession and complete passes then we are one of the best in the league however if you want the offense splitting open defenses and controlling the tempo of the game and creating chances and scoring goals then we have a long way to go before we are that type of team – again. The only time that we came close to penetrating Everton’s defense was when Mc Nair or Smalling would go on long runs from deep on our half, unfortunately these opening would die on the vine because no one was taking advantage of the open spaces these runs created. Our offense appear to consist of getting the ball out wide, have Young or Mata carry the ball inside only to turn around and pass the ball back out wide. Continue this process until either the ball gets turned over, a cross is attempted that sail over everyone, or the ball bounces of a defender and goes out for a throw-in. We spent far too much time passing the ball between stationary player and running the ball around the periphery of the defense.

Not only where we beaten on the pitch, Martinez put together a strategy that kicked our arse and at no time did we ever adjust to it. Instead we continued to do the same thing over and over expecting different results, we did not give Everton any reason to change what they were doing so they continued to do it.

Last note: I read the other day that president of Monaco was claiming that United still had not made up their mind on Falcao and would wait until the end of the season before making a final decision. I wanted Falcao to be a success at United however I now believe that he not only doesn’t have a long term future with United I do not believe he should have a short term future. Playing him is just wasting a position.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Like I said in the pre-match thread, this will be a tough game.. and it was. Our record in goodison is shocking, 1 win in 7!

We just looked tired and lethargic. Everton weren't even that good, they just pressed us and we couldn't deal with it. Herrera had a poor game.. Mata was quiet.. Rooney average.. The subs weren't that much better either.

We have just made it tough for ourself. two weeks ago, we were 4 points clear of city.. now we are 2 points behind them..

4 games left, and if Liverpool win their game in hand, they will be 4 points behind us..we can still do it

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Everton were clinical when they have their opportunities - we didn't deserve a hammering like the score line suggested but we struggled for long periods- it felt like an early season performance- lack of confidence and penetration going forward.

We miss Carrick so much.

Not one player had a good game in my opinion-we didn't look motivated from the get go and that was the most frustrating thing- our play was so slow. It's the complete opposite of how we have been playing.

We have gave those bin dippers a sniff that they don't deserve but we have to dust ourselves off and get the job done- we need 8 points from the last 4 games if Liverpool win their remaining games. Beating west brom and palace should be enough IMO, palace away will be tough but this should be a wake up call that the job isn't finished.

I would be devastated now if we didn't make it into the ECL now

Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Ref was terrible, absolutely woeful, but we didn't do enough overall for me. Everton showed up with a game plan to beat Fellaini out of the game and he let them though, which saw appalling.

This happens every single time Carrick is out, we missed him big time today. Blind did well but he's no Carrick.

Thought it was a mistake putting Falcao on the pitch because we all knew the inevitable fornicate all that would happen. I don't understand that at all.

A decent ref and Carrick and we'd have pissed it, this is life however.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 pm

I disagree re Fellaini. The ref allowed it more than anything. He was being fouled left right and centre and the ref allowed it all to go unpunished. At one point at 1-0 down he was fouled at least 3 times, one point being knocked to the ground but still held the ball up to a point where we managed a shot on goal. His booking was a joke too, he never touched Barkley. I thought he was a dangerous man for Everton and at times they struggled to contain him. When he went off we looked a lot meeker.
I thought Blind was poor. First goal him and Mcnair should have dealt with the danger. Third goal was schoolboy stuff. No matter what age group you are you are always told to play to the whistle. Just terrible.

Oh and De Gea can fornicate off if hes gonna do what he did to Smalling and Mcnair again. He may as well be in Madrid for the last part of the season

100% Top Red

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:38 pm

What did De Gea do to Smalling and McNair?

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

pinball
International Player
International Player

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 am

i thought we forgot all the basics when we played yesterday- we left acres of space between players instead of keeping close and compact. players are not over-lapping (yes that's shaw! ) and running into empty space but stayed static most of the time. we passed to death at the final third without knowing what to do. maybe they were tired i dont know or the chelsea game lost had planted a seed of self doubt in their minds. no one came off with anything to sing about. rooney needs to remember he is the captain and his rousing speeches are meant not only for liverpooh and shitty only. on a day when he needs to lead, and drag the rest along he failed miserably.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:54 am

Thought only Smalling and a lesser extent Shaw can hold their heads up high after that game. Pathetic and almost like were wishing the season could end. fornicate poor attitude to have when were not safe. We have tough games as well coming up

Fellaini had to put away that sitter at 0-1. Different game if he scores that, which a #10 has to do

Its made especially worse when LVG said afterwards the players were not motivated and took the warm up lightly. What the fornicate are they playing it

And just on the final goal. I know technically its the right call, and you play to the whistle, but when you see a goal like that happen, you need to review the laws of the games. Lukaku makes a play at the ball, if thats not influencing play then what is. Lukaku is offside, he makes a play at the ball, the flag goes up and the players react to Lukaku moving and the offside given, and then after that Mirallas runs on. That needs to be looked at

What the ref did get wrong though was just letitng Everton getting away with constant fouls and pulling us up on it. Not sure what Fellaini had to do to get a free kick, but then gets booked for a Barkley dive. Aaron Lennon drags Young back as he enters the back and the foul is given against Young.

Hope the players though find it in their hearts to maybe motivated for the next game because this was an awful result

Oh and Blind was fornicate terrible. 5 goals conceded and 0 scored since Carrick got injured. Maybe just maybe people are starting to realise how important he is

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 am

That was just horrible to watch.

Not sure what else to say.. I game to be forgotten. We all know we are much better than that regardless of who's on the pitch (Carrick being out and all that)..

Losing to Chelsea was kind of acceptable. Getting trashed bye fornicate Everton is not.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

solskfan
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:51 am

It pisses me off that we always have such a hard time against Everton away every single f season. They are not that good.

there is only one supersub.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 am

Ashwin wrote:What did De Gea do to Smalling and McNair?
Didnt come to collect the ball when it was really his territory and he should have taken control. Both times Smalling and McNair looked pissed off at him. They were left to deal with the ball deep in their own box with an attacker chasing rather than De Gea gettimg involved

100% Top Red

Reverend
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:24 am

did not see the game (thanks to poor internet connection,) but I just found an extensive replay

1. I agree with van Gaal, something's lost: the spirit, the passion, it almost felt like they did not want to play
2. Everton has done well to turn off the game when they have the ball, and after we lost our concentration, they broke our formation
3. maybe it's best if de Gea wraps up his decision over his future ASAP, if he wants to move, everybody will let him go, but if he wants to stay, then I know everybody will also accept him
4. I am also thinking about the 200k a week: is that the reason why everybody felt a little bit down yesterday? because they think they deserve as much?

5. This is the most important part: we need to cut the hoofball, ASAP
Fellaini was well-marked yesterday and looked a bit tired, I was thinking: maybe he reached his breaking point?
van Gaal switched him out, which was good, but the one brought on was Falcao, which was a bad decision for me, because Falcao has not found his old-self yet
but it was a logical response, because we do not have anyone who can play Fellaini's role

there are 2 options:
1. Find somebody that can win most headers and bring the ball down like Fellaini does
this is the reason why I agree with Schmeichel about Zlatan
2. Make a little tweak to the tactic so that it can play Mata's strength as a number 10
which means: no hoofball, fast passing, good positioning from every player and good transition
8 months ago we can't do this... but now, we can

ps.: don't blame Rooney, he is the decoy in our current system

Mike
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 am

He laughed at their winkies.

He's nothing more than a WUM is our De Donut.

david_86
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:38 am

Sandies wrote: And just on the final goal. I know technically its the right call, and you play to the whistle, but when you see a goal like that happen, you need to review the laws of the games. Lukaku makes a play at the ball, if thats not influencing play then what is. Lukaku is offside, he makes a play at the ball, the flag goes up and the players react to Lukaku moving and the offside given, and then after that Mirallas runs on. That needs to be looked at

What the ref did get wrong though was just letitng Everton getting away with constant fouls and pulling us up on it. Not sure what Fellaini had to do to get a free kick, but then gets booked for a Barkley dive. Aaron Lennon drags Young back as he enters the back and the foul is given against Young.
It wasn't even technically the right call, it was simply off side. The rules clearly state when a player moves towards the ball when near the ball, and thereby influences the defense, it's fornicating off side!! All those things were in this case true!
The ref had an awful game, and robbed us off 15-20 mins to change its course. Even though it didn't look likely, 1 goal could've finally sparked some aggression into the team that was missing till then. It's not like we didn't have enough chances to score in the end, far more than Everton anyway, despite our lethargic play...

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:39 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Didnt come to collect the ball when it was really his territory and he should have taken control. Both times Smalling and McNair looked pissed off at him. They were left to deal with the ball deep in their own box with an attacker chasing rather than De Gea gettimg involved
Wait, so because he made 2 conservative decisions (one of them was completely the right decision) to not come off his goal line and risk getting caught in no mans land, he should fornicate off to Madrid?

Id say hes saved us enough times this year to be let off for making one mistake of letting Smalling deal with a ball (something hes more than capable of doing)

But nope, one mistake and off you go mate (Y)

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

david_86
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:42 am

Sandies wrote:
Short Back and Sides wrote:
Wait, so because he made 2 conservative decisions (one of them was completely the right decision) to not come off his goal line and risk getting caught in no mans land, he should fornicate off to Madrid?

Id say hes saved us enough times this year to be let off for making one mistake of letting Smalling deal with a ball (something hes more than capable of doing)

But nope, one mistake and off you go mate (Y)
Yeah, i don't get this criticism either, it's absurd. I remember only 1 of those situations, but i didn't think he had to come out for that 1 at all.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 am

I think he should have done better with the first goal. With the Hazard goal. With one or two against City. Hes been sloppy lately.

100% Top Red

Otis
Reserve
Reserve

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:04 pm

A bad result and a horrible score line.
Hearing Louis say that he sensed the team weren't up for it before the game is beyond belief considering the rewards for the club and team
to finish in the top four.

But he will learn more from this defeat than any victory.
The defence, without Carrick to organise them, is a shambles especially as De Gea seems reluctant to take charge.
We need a dominant centre-back and right full-back

The mid-field with the exception of Fellaini,lacks drive and competitiveness and our strike force without Rooney is
almost non-existant.

I've never been Michael Carrick's biggest fan but his absence in the last two games has been startling.

A lot of comings and goings in the summer,I think.

If you walk with Jesus,He's gonna save your soul.You gotta keep the Devil way down in the hole.
Wayne Rooney....Manchester United Legend.
Come back Ray,the board needs you.

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Michael Carrick has carried our midfield for years - he was fantastic the year we won the league in Fergie's last season. He simply has a footballing brain that players seem to lack in this generation.

He'll be interested to see what avenue LVG goes down in the summer - he should be looking for a long term replacement for Carrick due to his age but it is astounding that he is still our best midfield player.

Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 pm

I think Rooney's injury is another blessing in disguise. He has been a non factor for a while now but untouchable in the team.

"Make America Great Again!"

CR7
Trainee
Trainee

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Relly wrote:I think Rooney's injury is another blessing in disguise. He has been a non factor for a while now but untouchable in the team.
And you would prefer who? Falcao the flop, or Van persie who cant find form again,

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”