Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Cleverly Could be recalled

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Tom Cleverley Braced for Manchester United Recall, Latest Red Devils Rumours
By Rob Blanchette , Featured Columnist Feb 2, 2015

Tom Cleverley's immediate future has been thrown into turmoil with the news Manchester United have given Aston Villa an ultimatum for Paul Lambert to sign the England international.

United say they will recall the player to their squad if Villa do not agree to immediately take up their £7 million option to sign the midfielder.

BBC Sport journalist David Ornstein broke the news on social media, and confirmed the Villa Park club had declined the request from the Red Devils:

Jon Super/Associated Press
The 25-year-old departed United at the start of the campaign, finding a new home in the Midlands and the chance to be a starter under Lambert.

Cleverley has featured heavily for the Villains, playing 19 times in the Premier League, but providing no goals or assists for his new side, per WhoScored.com.

The news of his potential recall to Carrington will be of shock to both player and loan club—as well as United fans who thought they has seen the last of the lad from Bradford.

Going back to United would be bad for the player and all parties, especially as Cleverley is likely to not feature in United's first team—therefore ruining his credentials.

But the Mail Online say the player will be going nowhere, with Villa insisting they will not be pushed into any deal:

Kirsty Wigglesworth/Associated Press
Gregg Evans of The Birmingham Mail recently assessed Cleverley's time at Villa Park and described his loan displays as "ineffective," but also stressed there will be a long line of suitors for the player if Lambert does not purchase the midfielder:

His United contract expires in June, which means he will be entitled to talk to other clubs about a move. Despite his ineffective displays, there won’t be a shortage of suitors interested in the 25-year-old, and Villa must weigh up their options over the weekend.

Although he’s a tidy midfielder with international and Champions League experience, he is yet to score or assist a goal for Villa. Supporters even cheered sarcastically when he was substituted at Villa Park recently, which goes some way to explaining how he’s failed to hit it off.

Boss Paul Lambert hasn’t lost faith with him yet but with Fabian Delph and Ashley Westwood returning in recent times, Cleverley’s place in the team is in danger.

Evans' assessment of Cleverley is on-point and he has not set the world on fire in the past few months.

He is an attacking midfielder by trade, and there is a train of though which suggests Cleverley needs to get back to doing the things he did as a teenager.

Sir Alex Ferguson saw the player as a conventional midfielder, more in the mould of Michael Carrick than Paul Scholes.

Both he and Anderson were trained and moulded into becoming players they are not, and both have seen their value and unique selling points evaporate.

Cleverley needs to stay at Villa until the end of the season, and United's recall threat seems hollow. If they bring him back to Old Trafford, they might as well allow him to leave on a free immediately.

The player needs to find a new home, and a coach who will allow him to express himself. Maybe then he will thrive and find his way back into Roy Hodgson's plans

"Make America Great Again!"

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Cleverly Could be recalled

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:46 pm

I thought it was groundhog day, not april fools

AustinTXRed
International Player
International Player

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:20 pm

It's more that they want to push Villa into a decision so they can try and sell him now instead of in the summer.

Follow me on Twitter: @ScottASpecht

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:31 pm

Yeah he can go for free in the summer

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:28 pm

The club is forcing Villa to buy, lol

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Surely Villa will just call our bluff then sign him for free (if they really want him) in June?

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 pm

He's done fornicate all for them, its hardly a threat to take him back... more like a favour.

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:52 pm

I don't know whether to laugh or cry..

It's comical but not really funny.. Remember when Ando went to Fiorentina and we thought we'd never see him again at United..???

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 pm

The thing with Clevz is I can feel a little sorry for him. That season he came back from Wigan and played against City and Arsenal he was really good in the middle with Ando until he got injured at Bolton. Slowly but surely he didnt seem to do anything but recycle the ball a bit and now hes struggling to get 7m in the transfer market. Its sad really because we all thought he was going to be a cracking player.

100% Top Red

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:The thing with Clevz is I can feel a little sorry for him. That season he came back from Wigan and played against City and Arsenal he was really good in the middle with Ando until he got injured at Bolton. Slowly but surely he didnt seem to do anything but recycle the ball a bit and now hes struggling to get 7m in the transfer market. Its sad really because we all thought he was going to be a cracking player.
Thanks for taking the liberty of lumping everyone together, but I will seperate myself and say I never saw much potential in him.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:31 am

I agree with Ste. The amount of injuries Cleverley has had would make it difficult for any footballer to come back from and it took its toll. ACL and a broken ankle in the space of a year was tough to deal with. He looked really good before that injury and changed the game against City and had very good ones against Spurs Everton and Arsenal.

I dont see any credibility in this article because as Cleverley played for us this year he cant play for anyone other than Villa or United this season and were not going to use him. Also why would Villa buy him now if they could get him for free in the summer. My guess is he will be at Everton next season as long as Martinez doesnt get sacked

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:02 am

Most players have some world class games at some point, no point hanging on to those like its indicative of a player's potential. Even Vardy's had his 15 mins. Ando has had a few as well.

It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 am

Relly wrote:
Short Back and Sides wrote:The thing with Clevz is I can feel a little sorry for him. That season he came back from Wigan and played against City and Arsenal he was really good in the middle with Ando until he got injured at Bolton. Slowly but surely he didnt seem to do anything but recycle the ball a bit and now hes struggling to get 7m in the transfer market. Its sad really because we all thought he was going to be a cracking player.
Thanks for taking the liberty of lumping everyone together, but I will seperate myself and say I never saw much potential in him.
Is that because he isn't Dutch?

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 am

I don't know why people feel sorry for him. He played the victim card at United and he's getting found out now. 20 odd games and not an assist or goal. He is the worst footballer I've ever seen. You can't use injuries as the excuse, I'm pretty sure Delph has had some horrific injuries in quick succession and yet he is light years ahead of TC23 in the Villa team.

Some of his signature moves include routinely failing to beat the first man from corner kicks and free kicks, kicking the ball straight out from a cross (and even from corners), and shooting nearer to the corner flag than in between the goalposts.

I think a lot of people decided (including him) that he was going to be the new Scholes and he's fornicate shit at it.

I agree with Relly, I saw posts suggesting he was going to be the new Beckham/Scholes or as good as at the time and I couldn't see what the fuss was about. He was fornicate shit for England for all of his 13 caps as well minus one through ball at Wembley.

Make football fabulous again!

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:57 am

He hasn't learnt what a forward pass is yet either.

Make football fabulous again!

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”