Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Fergie's biggest mistakes

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:40 am

have we ever had a topic about it? this buddy of mine was just telling me how it was unbelievable that united let pogba go. that made me think. what do you think is the biggest mistake he made?

here are a few to consider:

1) not signing van der sar in 99 - united suffered for years from goalkeeping errors. we had an amazing midfield and the best striker in the world up front in van nistelrooy, yet the keeper (and the defence) consistently let us down. i wonder how many more CL finals we would've reached with him

2) letting jaam stam go - he could have easily played on for another 3-4 years at a high level. again, we are talking about a period where we did poorly in europe and domestically up until we got it sorted after signing vidic.

3) pogba. the extent of this one we still dont know and he might well prove to be THE biggest in the years to come. signs are already suggesting this mistake is right up there.

4) hargreaves? not sure how big a 'mistake' you would call it. just bad luck maybe. but then knowing the player had fitness issues and still pushing the deal through? might have been a big mistake. he mentioned this in his recent book as something he regrets too.

any others?

for me the worst is definitely not signing Edwin earlier when he had the chance

Colin Francis
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: Fergie's biggest mistakes

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 am

Paul McGrath
Paul Ince :grr:
Jaap Stam
Mark Hughes ???
Phil Neville
David Beckham :grr:
RVN
Berbatov
Pogba

...and the Truth shall make you free.....

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 am

I think Pogba was his biggest mistake. To let a player of his calibre go, to just refuse to give him games at a time when we were crying out for somebody with quality in that position, it's bewildering to think what might have been going through SAF's mind on that one.

I think Sir Alex just failed to spot his talent and preparedness for senior football; he routinely neglected to take a chance on Pogba, choosing instead go bring Scholes out of retirement to ease our midfield woes, and that decision has backfired and continues to backfire to this day. Juventus certainly didn't make the same mistake.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 am

David Moyes

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:40 am

Thats a good one.

But for me (with hindsight of course) its Pobga. I mean look how good he's turned out.

It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:46 am

Rock of Gibraltar (the racehorse)

100% Top Red

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:01 am

Redlyn wrote:Thats a good one.

But for me (with hindsight of course) its Pobga. I mean look how good he's turned out.
It was a mistake at the time, hindsight makes it worse. But a large number of people were pissed off about it when it happened.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

JUAN UNITED
International Player
International Player

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 am

Players come & go & at the end of the day that didn't matter because SAF was a master of re-building a Premiership winning team! He made in my opinion two big mistakes first he knew the team was declining in the last 2/3 years of his reign & really should have done something about it! The other has to be the appointment of David Moyes. Not one fan I know wanted him as manager yet he became the new shock successor to SAF baffling everyone! But it could have been all so different for Moyes if only he had kept Maulensteen & Phelan as his staff. Essentially that was his downfall because he could have just sat in the office on his arse & only had to say to the players just carry on doing what you did under SAF! It could have been so different for him!!!
And as for SAF the success & glory he gave us overpowers all the mistakes he made during his time at Utd because without his successful management, Man Utd would not have been the most decorated club in English Football & a powerhouse of which we are today.

Always look on the bright side of life la la, la la la la la la!!!

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:36 am

JUAN UNITED wrote:first he knew the team was declining in the last 2/3 years of his reign & really should have done something about it
Yep. Refusing to sing a CM since the mighty Anderson is right up there as well. It was beyond comical really.

It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 am

1. Rock of Gilbratar horse ownership pretty much screwed the club over for life.
2. Pogba - enough said already about it. Probably the single biggest blunder made by this club
3. Playing Park ahead of Valencia in that title decider game vs City. Pretty much gave us no chance of winning one of the biggest games of the season
4. Appointing David Moyes as his successor without any sort of proper and thorough interview process

Wouldnt say there are too many others. Yes hes sold players but he always replaced them and we were always better for it. Except for Pogba which is why he is included. However there is nothing I would give up for the years and success Fergie gave us.

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 am

Sia wrote:have we ever had a topic about it? this buddy of mine was just telling me how it was unbelievable that united let pogba go. that made me think. what do you think is the biggest mistake he made?

here are a few to consider:

1) not signing van der sar in 99 - united suffered for years from goalkeeping errors. we had an amazing midfield and the best striker in the world up front in van nistelrooy, yet the keeper (and the defence) consistently let us down. i wonder how many more CL finals we would've reached with him

2) letting jaam stam go - he could have easily played on for another 3-4 years at a high level. again, we are talking about a period where we did poorly in europe and domestically up until we got it sorted after signing vidic.

3) pogba. the extent of this one we still dont know and he might well prove to be THE biggest in the years to come. signs are already suggesting this mistake is right up there.

4) hargreaves? not sure how big a 'mistake' you would call it. just bad luck maybe. but then knowing the player had fitness issues and still pushing the deal through? might have been a big mistake. he mentioned this in his recent book as something he regrets too.

any others?

for me the worst is definitely not signing Edwin earlier when he had the chance
Edwin in 99 was hardly worthy of being our keeper. His first season at Juve was awful and he was making so man high profile mistakes it was a shocking signing by Juve. There is a reason he was sold after 2 years for 5 million to Fulham. Took him another 5 years to restore his reputation. Van Der Sar wasnt the blunder, Bosnich was

Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 pm

It's Pogba and for many reasons. Consider this:

Fergie chose not to play Pogba, a potential multi Ballon D'Or winner, over Anderson, Cleverley and a declining Park, clashed with him over simple and understandable demands from Pogba at a time where the emergence of other super-rich clubs meant that no club could dictate terms to any exceptionally talented individual, humiliated him in the Blackburn match that we still lost and sealed his fate by bringing back Scholes to salvage a season in which we went trophyless. And this was at a time when our midfield was in terminal decline due to Fergie's own doing.
When you take all that in, the myopia and stubbornness,......the appointment of Moyes one year later does not seem so strange.

"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Sandies wrote:Edwin in 99 was hardly worthy of being our keeper. His first season at Juve was awful and he was making so man high profile mistakes it was a shocking signing by Juve. There is a reason he was sold after 2 years for 5 million to Fulham. Took him another 5 years to restore his reputation. Van Der Sar wasnt the blunder, Bosnich was
The interesting thing there is that Fergie highlighted not getting Edwin in 99 as one of his biggest mistakes, so he clearly rated him back then.

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

what's this horse thing ? it was mentioned here before in the past but i never understood what is this all about ?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Fergie sued some fairly major shareholders over a horse they both owned. They took umbridge, ended up selling their shares, which is how Glazer got in.

There is alot more, but that's the crux.

joze ruis
International Player
International Player

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:49 pm

wow that's great :sick: fornicate horse fiasco helped blood suckers buy this club :shock:

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 pm

Just read the OP but dont need to read anymore...

its the raehorse Rock of Gibraltar, leading to the bust up with McManus & Magnier and everything that that spawned!

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 pm

I wouldn't call that a mistake. You can't just trace events back through the chaos theory and call them mistakes. If that was the case then SAF's greatest mistake was his coming into existence in the first place.

SAF buys a horse —————> club gets sold

My god, Sir Alex, what were you thinking?!

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:I wouldn't call that a mistake. You can't just trace events back through the chaos theory and call them mistakes. If that was the case then SAF's greatest mistake was his coming into existence in the first place.

SAF buys a horse —————> club gets sold

My god, Sir Alex, what were you thinking?!
Well, you can go one step back though and that's fair enough. Even before they sold their shares though, everyone labelled it a mistake for it's effect on United. The 99 questions and all that.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 pm

buying the horse wasnt the mistake.

Getting pissed off for no good reason (horse racing is so not important!) with M&M, knowing the major influence they had over the clubs future, was!

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:26 am

The mistake wasnt buying the horse it was his decision to sue and go to war with McManus and Magnier over the horse that fornicate us over. Their parting gift to fergie was a massive fornicate you and sold their shares to allow the money sucking leaches to fornicate this club over with debt

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 am

Interesting thread.

The Gibraltar Donkey is a major one as well as the appointment of the clown Moyes.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 am

What a load of rubbish. There's no way you can call it Fergie's mistake that the Glazers took over Manchester United, no way!

He may have inadvertently set in motion a series of events which led to the eventual takeover, but the motivations of the Glazers and their business plan at the time was not foreseeable and there's no way SAF can hold any blame whatsoever for what followed after falling out over the horse.

Though they were indeed few and far between in a relative sense, SAF certainly made mistakes as United manager, but it is entirely unfair to level accusations of incompetence his way in relation to decisions and unforeseeable consequences that were in no way under his direct control.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:58 pm

I don't think Pogba is yet, but he could well become so, time will tell.

I know Fergie says Stam was a mistake, but I don't think we suffered that much. He was banned for steroid use when he got Lazio, so who knows if that might have fallen down on us if he was still around.
Sandies wrote: Edwin in 99 was hardly worthy of being our keeper. His first season at Juve was awful and he was making so man high profile mistakes it was a shocking signing by Juve. There is a reason he was sold after 2 years for 5 million to Fulham. Took him another 5 years to restore his reputation. Van Der Sar wasnt the blunder, Bosnich was
Really?
FootballFanCast.com wrote:Juventus finished second to Lazio and Roma respectively in 99/00 and 00/01 but during these two seasons Van der Sar only conceded a total of 47 goals, by far and a way the fewest by any team during this time period. However, Van der Sar’s days in Italy were numbered when Juventus splashed out an astonishing £32.5 million for goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon in 2001.
Seems to me Juve were drawn in by the idea of having Italy's number 1. And he was sold for £7.1million to Fulham, a £2.1m profit for Juve. We then signed him for around £2m. Cost of transfer means nothing.

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:19 pm

I still can pretty good recall VdS not having the best of times at Juventus. These figures refer not only to him as a goalie himself but to the whole back line. Let's not forget what fantastic defenders Juve had back then with the likes of Ferrara, Cannavaro, Montero, Pessotto to name a few.

UNITED > ENGLAND

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”