Leicester City 3-5
West Brom 2-2
Man City 0-1
Arsenal 2-1
Southampton 2-1
Aston Villa 1-1
Spurs 0-0
Stoke 1-1

Clearly the record is not good enough, only two wins out of 10, but what exactly has been going wrong? I think bar Burnley, Leicester and perhaps Villa, the rest of the results are fine as one-offs. The problem is that there are quite a few of them which makes it unacceptable as a whole.

Interesting fact: Our two losses have come in games where we used 4-4-2. Unbeaten away from home when playing 3-5-2 :dance:

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Away Form

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:55 am

Just two clean sheets tell the story.

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:30 pm

It's a few factors..one is obviously the defence.. If you have a solid defence, then you can always win a game 0-1, or score one and hold the lead.. but with the injuries we had and the constant changes in the back, we just don't look like to keep a clean sheet..

secondly, from those 10 games, I think only West Brom game we scored in the 80th minute..I don't think we have scored late away goals..
We hardly have that tempo in the last 20 minutes, the energy to grab a late winner.. Maybe it's due to lack of pace in our attacking players.. Falcao and RVP aren't blessed with pace, and we don't have that 'counter-attack' gear within us..

also at times we seem to be content with a draw.. is that how our standards have dropped? I'm seeing people saying 'it's a good point away from stoke, or good point away from spurs' .. that really shouldn't be the case..

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny!

HuSsAiN

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:05 pm

As keano mentioned, in general a point away at stoke and spurs is not great but certainly not bad, however there have been too many of these that as a whole it is just not acceptable.
We just haven't played well enough away from home. Formation, mind boggling subs, too much focus ball possession, lack of urgency...feck knows. The only away game we have played well in was the first half at spurs (and maybe leicester) the rest have been bad to average. We would be better of having lost a few of these away games and won a few more. We are definitely still lacking something from united of old.

It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm

Personally I think it's just coincidence tbh. Last season we had the best away form in the league at one point — it means little if you're not playing well overall. We just need to play better in general and that stands for both home and away games. Winning more at home is par for the course and thus it's away when we're more likely to be shown up — I wouldn't say that there's anything in particular about how we play away for home that's causing these results; instead it's just a case of our opposition playing better because they're at home. When LvG gets us to gell in general then our away form will improve.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:00 pm

But it's not just the point that we are dropping in away games, although that's important, it how brain dead we have looked and just overall half a bubble off. Maybe it's a combination of the home teams wanting to give their fans a good show and United playing a little scared but it is rapidly becoming a mind game for the team and that could be a real problem.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Half a bubble off?

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Half a bubble off?
Woodworking term for when something is not quite working right.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:53 pm

I was confused because you started the post with 'but' and then seemed to be in complete agreement.

I've not heard that term before but yeah that makes sense; half a bubble off, like on a spirit level. That's United at the moment; we're half a bubble off.

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 am

Keano wrote:Interesting fact: Our two losses have come in games where we used 4-4-2. Unbeaten away from home when playing 3-5-2 :dance:
interesting but definitely misleading. the fact that 3-5-2 is unbeaten away from home is mostly down to luck. we gave up lots and lots of opportunities and deserved to lose on multiple times playing 3-5-2

4-4-2 loss again city, thats the most difficult away game we've played, and we played it with 10 men for 50 minutes of it. and the leicester game was just bizzare. i dont think 3-5-2 has really had a positive impact. or at least not yet

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:I was confused because you started the post with 'but' and then seemed to be in complete agreement.

I've not heard that term before but yeah that makes sense; half a bubble off, like on a spirit level. That's United at the moment; we're half a bubble off.
Spot on (Y)

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:36 pm

3 away wins all year..

not good enough..

our next away games are

Newcastle
Liverpool
Chelsea
Everton

Not sure if I can see us winning any of those with the way we have played all year

HuSsAiN

HuSsAiN
International Player
International Player

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:17 pm

sorry had to bring this up.. We just don't look good away from home. Defending is shaky, and when we attack, we just not breaking down teams. Chelsea and Everton found it easy to defend.

5 away wins the whole year.. I mean.. that's gotta be sorted out next year if we want to challenge for title.

HuSsAiN

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”