Next Match: Image
Southampton in the Premier League.
Momday 13th July 2020, KO 20:00 UTC.
ManagerXI
Trainee
Trainee

Chris Smalling - The poster boy for where we are going wrong

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Smalling was a disaster at the weekend and that is due to not playing enough to be fair to him. His second yellow was simply a rush of blood to the head and being 'too' enthusiastic to prove himself to get a starting place but he was just back after being suspended for 5 yellow cards in 323 minutes of playing time in the league and he got a ridiculous 25 yellow cards last season.

Van Gaal should not have publicly said that Smalling was not an intelligent player (even though I agree) as his confidence is clearly at a low point already so the warnings about Van Gaals poor man management skills are coming back to bite us in the ass.

On the good side though with one right back and one center back we are again title challengers but the £20m+ "loan deal" for Falcao seems to be a total waste of money considering that we had a fantastic attack before his arrival and the weakness that have cost us this season was there for all to see. Even with a fully fit defense it was not a title winning team and I'm wondering what is the budget to improve the defense?

In January will we strengthen the defense? Jones and Shaw are our only reasonable decent defenders so it will take a net spend in excess of £50m (probably closer to £100m) to get the defense to where it needs to be to. The money should be spent in January, not the summer, as if we miss out on Champions League football again then we lose out on that much money anyway so we we get the defense that will help us to get a top 4 place then their transfer fees are effectively free more or less.

Premier League jersey up for grabs to the winner of the ManagerXI Fantasy Premier League - Code: 461204-116154

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Re: Chris Smalling - The poster boy for where we are going w

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Great post, welcome to the board.

I don't think it's a secret that we desperately need defensive reinforcements but it remains to be seen whether or not LVG will splash the cash.

Vidic and Evra aside, we're usually made big defensive signings in the summer so I hope LVG changes tactics on that one.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:44 pm

If we don't get defenders in January, we can kiss 4th spot bye bye.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Smalling got 2 yellows last season. Where the hell did 25 come from? He only played 25 games. Also, he was just back from a ban? No he wasnt. He has never been banned before. That was his firsr sending off and hes only had 6 yellows (including 2 on sunday) in his professional career

100% Top Red

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 pm

A lot of hot air in that post. Not sure how Rafael is not counted as a decent defender. Yes, he displays the odd bit of rashness but he is a good, tenacious tackler, he's quick and a massive asset in our attack

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ivandaman
International Player
International Player

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:06 am

Some very valid points in that post.
(Y)

Especially the one that money need to be spent in January.

Also the fact that LVG (hopefully because of language issues) demonstrates total lack of man-management skills.

You can't criticize the players publicly and give the medial "material" to go wild.

To Be A Man UNITED Supporter IS NOT A Right! .... It is a Privilege.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:22 am

Just remember how our last defensive reinforcements signed in January fared in their first 6 months.

I'm not sure we should expect miracles. Given the injuries it would be good to have the numbers though

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

bjay
New Signing
New Signing

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 am

This post is shit,how can you critizise smallin in that manner?

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 am

I remember Van Gaal saying something what he did was stupid. I don't remember him calling him an unintelligent player though. Could someone please post a link of the quote ... if it exists.

Meanwhile, this thread is in the wrong section

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:10 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:Smalling got 2 yellows last season. Where the hell did 25 come from? He only played 25 games. Also, he was just back from a ban? No he wasnt. He has never been banned before. That was his firsr sending off and hes only had 6 yellows (including 2 on sunday) in his professional career
Good call (Y) - Never let reality get in the way of a biased opinion :laugh:

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

RED3bution
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:55 pm

ivandaman wrote:Some very valid points in that post.
(Y)

Especially the one that money need to be  spent  in  January.

Also the fact that LVG (hopefully because of language issues) demonstrates total lack of man-management skills.

You  can't criticize the players publicly  and give the medial "material" to go wild.
Total lack of man-management skills? I think he's got enough history to make that an interesting argument for the imaginary.

Am sure Smalling isn't that "small". He can take some criticism for his action. He'll probably agree it was a stupid moment.

"You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand." -The Dark Knight

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah sometimes you can criticise your own players publicly, and Sunday was one such time. The whole world could see that what Smalling did was stupid; it'd be bizarre if LvG didn't acknowledge it.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I think what happens speaks for itself. Whats crucial now is that Smalling is dealt with properly. Saf would know weather to lay into him or to put an arm round him. Either way he doesnt need telling he was a tit and cost us the game. He will be more dissapointed than anyone that he let him emotions get carried away. He will want to make ammends and Id be happy to see him come back into the team after his one game suspension

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 pm

fornicate up is bad, fornicate up in front of large audience on a big occasion is really bad. The only thing that could be worse is not learning from this type of fornicate up, and hopefully Smalling will be able to learn and grow from this. A good manager will try and use this situation to help the player improve, however there can come a time when any manager must determines if the talent of the player are not worth further chances. I don't think Smalling is there yet but the higher up in professional sports a player goes the fewer the chances they get.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:40 am

ManagerXI wrote:Smalling was a disaster at the weekend and that is due to not playing enough to be fair to him. His second yellow was simply a rush of blood to the head and being 'too' enthusiastic to prove himself to get a starting place but he was just back after being suspended for 5 yellow cards in 323 minutes of playing time in the league and he got a ridiculous 25 yellow cards last season.

Van Gaal should not have publicly said that Smalling was not an intelligent player (even though I agree) as his confidence is clearly at a low point already so the warnings about Van Gaals poor man management skills are coming back to bite us in the ass.

On the good side though with one right back and one center back we are again title challengers but the £20m+ "loan deal" for Falcao seems to be a total waste of money considering that we had a fantastic attack before his arrival and the weakness that have cost us this season was there for all to see. Even with a fully fit defense it was not a title winning team and I'm wondering what is the budget to improve the defense?

In January will we strengthen the defense? Jones and Shaw are our only reasonable decent defenders so it will take a net spend in excess of £50m (probably closer to £100m) to get the defense to where it needs to be to. The money should be spent in January, not the summer, as if we miss out on Champions League football again then we lose out on that much money anyway so we we get the defense that will help us to get a top 4 place then their transfer fees are effectively free more or less.
some are valid some are not. Rojo and Jones as CBs are decent. I would say if Shaw and Rafael are healthy they are our starting full backs. I also hope we can find a more experienced quality CB to help settle our other CBs. we need a leader at the back so far Jones, Evans and Smalling aren't good enough partnerships. they normally be part of a Vidic or Rio CB partnership but when a Smalling-Jones, Jones-Evans, Evans-Smalling it is really a different situation.

Carrick 5 Gerrard 0
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Welcome to the board, moving this to the united section of the board.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Im glad Smalling has been given his chance to shine rather than what the OP poster would have preferred

100% Top Red

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Also just to add to that, how stupid anyone can be to think anyone got 25 yellow cards in a single season. The record is 14 by 4 players, Paul Ince (Wolves, 2003/04) Robbie Savage (Leicester, 2001/02) Olivier Dacourt (Everton, 1998/99) Mark Hughes (Southampton, 1998/99)

100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:09 pm

The best part is, the poster said Smalling doesnt get much of a chance. Amazing what happens with a little bit of game time

Although 25 yellow cards :laugh:

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Vinny Jones once received 125 yellow cards for a single mistimed tackle. The record stands as the highest amount of yellows shown to a player in any given game, the runner up being Josip Simunic who was shown 13 yellows by referee Graham Poll during the 2006 World Cup.

Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve

Fri May 22, 2015 2:39 pm

The OP is the poster boy for the new breed of impatient fans, ready to write off young players swiftly. The truth is that CB along with CM is one of the most difficult positions to master and takes a lot of maturity and experience, things that can only be gained by a consistent run of games.
If the team is to be properly rebuilt, this trigger-happy mentality regarding young promising players must be shunned by United fans.

"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Fri May 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Andersongo wrote:The OP is the poster boy for the new breed of impatient fans, ready to write off young players swiftly. The truth is that CB along with CM is one of the most difficult positions to master and takes a lot of maturity and experience, things that can only be gained by a consistent run of games.
If the team is to be properly rebuilt, this trigger-happy mentality regarding young promising players must be shunned by United fans.
Are you taking the piss? Youve just described yourself.

100% Top Red

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Fri May 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Andersongo wrote:The OP is the poster boy for the new breed of impatient fans, ready to write off young players swiftly. The truth is that CB along with CM is one of the most difficult positions to master and takes a lot of maturity and experience, things that can only be gained by a consistent run of games.
:clap:

Smalling has become the poster boy for the few things that have gone right this season. Rewarded with the captaincy as well and fully deserved

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Fri May 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:Are you taking the piss? Youve just described yourself.
That's what I was thinking.

Andersongo
Reserve
Reserve

Fri May 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:
Are you taking the piss? Youve just described yourself.
No, I'm not. I saw Moyes for the quack that he is. During the course of this season, I have seen LVG continually tinker with the team, trying to save his ass while hiding under the pretense of "philosophy", a term that encompasses almost everything under the sun, from Big Sam's style to flamboyant tiki-taka. I would call things as I see them. Smalling was a young, promising player who needed games, like all the other young players at the club. This is the truth and does not preclude me from calling out incompetent managers.

"A Moyes! My kingdom for a Moyes!" - Sir Alex Ferguson in the famous tragedy " Manchester United's great EPL campaign of 13/14" by respected journo G. Neville.

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”