Next Match: Image
Manchester City in the League Cup.
Wednesday 29th January 2020, KO 19:45 UTC.
Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Pre Match discussion: Premier League vs Crystal Palace (h)

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:07 am

[center]Image

Saturday 8th November 2014, KO 15:00 BST

Image[/center]

Raymond
First Team Player
First Team Player

Re: Pre Match discussion: Premier League vs Crystal Palace (

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:18 am

Ddg
Valencia Mcnair Evans (If fit) Shaw
Blind
Herrera Di Maria
Mata
Rooney Rvp

"He puts his head where others are scared to put their feet" - Robin Van Persie on Nemanja Vidić

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 am

Must Win.

We are in a bit of a rut at the minute - we are improving performance wise but cant seem to get points on the board.

The major issue for this game will be the defence - who will be available? how far are Jones and Evans away from full fitness?

We need to get going this season - its been frustrating so far, we have been very stop start due to injuries etc we havent been able to field our strongest 11 all season.

Offensively we should be too strong for Palace espeically at OT, get the 3 points and hopefully get players back over the international break.

Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

david_86
First Team Player
First Team Player

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:56 am

Again, I would like to see:

[center]RvP
Rooney---------Januzaj/Mata
Di Maria - Herrera
Blind[/center]
or
[center]RVP
DiMaria--Rooney--Januzaj
Blind--Herrera[/center]

The diamond we used till 3 games back, left Blind and the defense a bit exposed, although i think it had just as much to do with adapting and different defensive combos.
So, i would like to see the trio of DiMaria/Herrera/Blind again, but in a 433.
This, with Rooney roaming and cutting inside (and still having the work rate to track back and help Di Maria on the left/center) and Di Maria going forward in wider areas, so basically alternating a lot with each other, and still leaving a lot of the left wing open for Shaw.

For this game, i think we should see again how Carrick does as center back, preferably not with a youngster like McNair or Blackett. Real blow that Rojo is injured as well. Hopefully Rafael is back.

JUAN UNITED
International Player
International Player

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:09 pm

DDG
VALENCIA CARRICK MCNAIR SHAW
JANUZAJ HERRERA DI.MARIA
MATA
ROONEY RVP

With the players available right now I think this is the best attacking option we have. McNair I bring in because the lad looks like a very good defender in the games his played in. Carrick is brilliant when it comes to defensive abilities. For me Blind has to do more in the role where he is the anchor between defence & midfield also his defensive abilities are not great so he would be a sub. Gary Nev said Januzaj need to take on players more often make them run the flank. Yes his left sided but with his talent he needs to step up! Herrera & Mata if they work properly with each other then they can control the midfield. Mata gets a lot of stick from some fans but for me he is a very intelligent midfield player! Yes he doesn't have the legs but he has the vision. Fellaini has been brilliant for us & I would put him on if Mata wasn't performing on the day. Rooney has been brilliant & with the form he is now he should link up well with Rvp.

Always look on the bright side of life la la, la la la la la la!!!

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 pm

No Fellaini? Really? Sweet jesus

100% Top Red

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:26 pm

[center]De Gea
Valencia Blackett/Evans McNair Shaw
Herrera/Carrick Blind
Fellaini
Januzaj Rooney DiMaria
Falcao/RVP[/center]

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Since Van Gaal arrived at Old Trafford we have become very familiar with term “his attacking philosophy”. Most United fans (me included) welcomed this approach, after all player flying down the pitch overwhelming defenders is a United tradition. We have been told over and over how the team is unbalances, weak in defense but an abundance of offensive players and we can score with any team in the league. While there is no question that we are very weak on defense, injuries have been a major part in our that. We also have some of the league’s best offensive players; so the question is, why hasn’t it gelled and why are we getting so little production from them.

I believe we have become far too fixated on formations and philosophies, we need to field our best defense side and if that requires that an offensive player rides the bench for a few game (or even the remainder of the season) then so be it. Assuming the Rafael, Herrera and Falcao are fit and ready to play then the following;
[center]DeGea
McNair Carrick Blackett
Rafeal Shaw
Blind
Herrera Di Maria
Rooney
Falcao[/center]

If those three are not available then Valencia, Fellaini and v. Persie would be the replacements, assuming none of them get injured in training this week. I don’t really care if Carrick is penciled in as a third CD to work with the two youngsters or as a second defensive midfielder and either him or Blind drop back into support as needed. The point is we need extra bodies back there because if Chelsea or City had continued to attack the end scores could have been very ugly.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Blackett and Mcnair were the team best defender this season .I have no problem playing both of them

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Ive been really impressed with McNair in the few games he's featured, he seems a very calm and collected on and off the ball - i would play him in front of Blackett if i had to choose one or the other

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Centre halves tend to play side by side mate

100% Top Red

david_86
First Team Player
First Team Player

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:[center]De Gea
Herrera/Carrick Blind
Fellaini
Januzaj Rooney DiMaria
Falcao/RVP[/center]
Someone suggested this last week as well, but i still don't think we can play with 12... :P

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Shit yeah. Then drop Januzaj to the bench

100% Top Red

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:03 pm

I was looking at that formation thinking wow, and I just knew it was too good to be true :(

Merlin
Reserve
Reserve

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:Since Van Gaal arrived at Old Trafford we have become very familiar with term “his attacking philosophy”.  Most United fans (me included) welcomed this approach, after all player flying down the pitch overwhelming defenders is a United tradition.  We have been told over and over how the team is unbalances, weak in defense but an abundance of offensive players and we can score with any team in the league.  While there is no question that we are very weak on defense, injuries have been a major part in our that.  We also have some of the league’s best offensive players; so the question is, why hasn’t it gelled and why are we getting so little production from them.

I believe we have become far too fixated on formations and philosophies, we need to field our best defense side and if that requires that an offensive player rides the bench for a few game (or even the remainder of the season) then so be it.  Assuming the Rafael, Herrera and Falcao are fit and ready to play then the following;
[center]DeGea
McNair   Carrick   Blackett
Rafeal                                        Shaw
Blind
Herrera                           Di Maria
Rooney
Falcao[/center]

If those three are not available then Valencia, Fellaini and v. Persie would be the replacements, assuming none of them get injured in training this week.  I don’t really care if Carrick is penciled in as a third CD to work with the two youngsters or as a second defensive midfielder and either him or Blind drop back into support as needed.  The point is we need extra bodies back there because if Chelsea or City had continued to attack the end scores could have been very ugly.
That's exactly what we have done, Fellaini is chosen over Herrera against City and Chelsea, the result was us having more control in midfield, and neither of them outplayed us. You actually play the team we played before being more cynical in midfield.

I would agree on playing Herrera against Palace, we are going to have the ball most of the time, he will come handy with his creativity, but I would give Januzaj a break, not Fellaini.

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:16 am

david_86 wrote:
Short Back and Sides wrote:[center]De Gea
Herrera/Carrick Blind
Fellaini
Januzaj Rooney DiMaria
Falcao/RVP[/center]
Someone suggested this last week as well, but i still don't think we can play with 12...  :P
last week that's me :D

If Falcao is fit, wanted him to start. Play Herrera instead of Januzaj. Fellaini and Blind should also start.

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:54 am

Is Falcao out?

If yes

[center]DE GEA

RAFAEL CARRICK MCNAIR SHAW

BLIND

FELLAINI DI MARIA

HERRERA

RVP ROONEY[/center]

Falcao in for a mid and Rooney to #10 if fit
Hopefully we have a fit rb for the game

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 am

Merlin wrote:
ArizonaRed wrote:Since Van Gaal arrived at Old Trafford we have become very familiar with term “his attacking philosophy”.  Most United fans (me included) welcomed this approach, after all player flying down the pitch overwhelming defenders is a United tradition.  We have been told over and over how the team is unbalances, weak in defense but an abundance of offensive players and we can score with any team in the league.  While there is no question that we are very weak on defense, injuries have been a major part in our that.  We also have some of the league’s best offensive players; so the question is, why hasn’t it gelled and why are we getting so little production from them.

I believe we have become far too fixated on formations and philosophies, we need to field our best defense side and if that requires that an offensive player rides the bench for a few game (or even the remainder of the season) then so be it.  Assuming the Rafael, Herrera and Falcao are fit and ready to play then the following;
[center]DeGea
McNair   Carrick   Blackett
Rafeal                                        Shaw
Blind
Herrera                           Di Maria
Rooney
Falcao[/center]

If those three are not available then Valencia, Fellaini and v. Persie would be the replacements, assuming none of them get injured in training this week.  I don’t really care if Carrick is penciled in as a third CD to work with the two youngsters or as a second defensive midfielder and either him or Blind drop back into support as needed.  The point is we need extra bodies back there because if Chelsea or City had continued to attack the end scores could have been very ugly.
That's exactly what we have done, Fellaini is chosen over Herrera against City and Chelsea, the result was us having more control in midfield, and neither of them outplayed us. You actually play the team we played before being more cynical in midfield.

I would agree on playing Herrera against Palace, we are going to have the ball most of the time, he will come handy with his creativity, but I would give Januzaj a break, not Fellaini.
I thought Herera was injured ? If he is fit, he plays. As simple as that.

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

esobeso
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:31 am

-----------------DDG--------------

Rafael---McNair---Blackett--Shaw

-------Carrick---------Blind-------

---------------Herrera-------------

Di Maria------Rooney-------Januzaj

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 am

Is Rafael back? I can't keep track of these injuries anymore.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

JUAN UNITED
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:08 am

Can't find any info on Rafael on how long he's out. It was classed a knock & he did miss the derby so he should be available for Saturday. If so I would change right back Valencia for Rafael, OBVIOUSLY.

Always look on the bright side of life la la, la la la la la la!!!

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 am

-----------------DDG--------------

Rafael---McNair---Blackett--Shaw

-------Herrera---------Blind-------

----------------Mata------------

Di Maria-------Falcao------Rooney

I would be happy to have both Blackett and McNair playing but i think LVG might go with Carrick unless any of our other panes of glass happen to be fit.

If Falcao is good to go, i would love to see him start and see how he does, Rooney and Di Maria will play so its a toss up between Januzaj and Mata.

Fellaini might play but i think we might go for a more ball playing midfielder in Herrera.

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:22 pm

JUAN UNITED wrote:Can't find any info on Rafael on how long he's out. It was classed a knock & he did miss the derby so he should be available for Saturday. If so I would change right back Valencia for Rafael, OBVIOUSLY.

I think Rafael might have picked up a gash in training just before the City game as this pic seems to suggest. If it were such a problem, wouldn't have thought it would necessarily prevent him from playing in a derby (if it's wasn't too deep)

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Van Gaal said the same about falcao before the chelsea game.

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Ashwin wrote:Van Gaal said the same about falcao before the chelsea game.

This is not from a Van Gaal quote though - it's just an assumption I made from what looks like a plaster on Rafa's leg, and just in case you're wondering, I can assure you that I am not Van Gaal posing online as someone else.

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Return to “U-N-I-T-E-D”