Next Match: Image
FC Astana in the Europa League.
Thursday 19th September 2019, KO 20:00 BST.
RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Computer help - errrk!!!!!

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Some help required from you IT whizzes please! Some background info first:

my PC is about 3-4 years old and was bought from a store - all software etc pre-installed.

When I logged on today I noticed that in the bottm right corner of my Desktop screen are the following words:

"Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of Windows is not genuine"

Also I get a pop-up every so often saying that I need to enter my Activation Code for Windows 7....

As I say, this was pre-installed when I bought it so I dont have an activation code, however I am confident I have a genuine Windows installation (as I would have had the message previously and regularly...) and I am worried this may be some form of malware or attack of some sort so I am tempted to do nothing , but it is disconcerting to have that message on my desktop and the warning pop-ups...

Any advice folks?? :oops:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Computer help - errrk!!!!!

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Is your desktop just a blank black image?

The error you're experiencing typically occurs when a retailer installs a single copy of Windows on more machines than the copy was licenced for (a typical retail licence will be good for ten installs iirc). The error can and often will be delayed such as you've experienced.

There are complicated workarounds, but my advice would be to contact the retailer and report the issue. It's an easy mistake to make and if he's a reputable dealer he should provide you with either a new code or a working copy of Windows to install.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Ole
Vice-Captain
Vice-Captain

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Is there a sticker on the desktop itself with a licence key on it?

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Ole wrote:Is there a sticker on the desktop itself with a licence key on it?
If there isn't, you could try downloading Belarc Advisor to see if it can find your license key.

Mavericks advice is sound though, go back to the retailer. Was it a PC World type place, or a more local affair?

robertbrian23
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:42 am

Found a link that is similar to your issue. I had those issues back then on windows but that is due to having a pirated copy before :D

Link that is similar to your issue - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 14e681e274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:35 am

THanks for the responses guys.

Found the key on the side of the PC like Dan said..input that number and the message has gone now :dance:

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Return to “Members Lounge”