Leeds United in a Pre-Season Friendly.
Wednesday 17th July 2019, KO 12:00 BST.
Dante
Referee
Referee

Re: What happens when we die? *Serious Discussion*

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Redlyn wrote:
Glorio wrote: Personally, I'm a Christian - I chose to be one (of course upbringing had a part to play) but a choice all the same. After all is said and done, none of us on this board have been to an afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this
Most Christians are christians by default. I dont think you ever made a conscious decision to become a Christian (from the position of being a non-christian). I think the choice you have made and are making every day is whether to stay one.
That goes for almost any religion. It's followers are indoctrinated into it, very few actually choose a religion.

Related on two counts.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Glorio wrote:
Matt wrote:The whole idea of afterlife is absurd.
The fact something is absurd in thought doesn't necessarily make it less of a reality. For instance, when did time start? Let's say you're an evolutionist and that includes the big bang, what happened before that? What there a point when time started? And if yes, before that, what was there? "Nothingness"? On the other end of the spectrum, Is there any point where everything ends? Or does time carry on to eternity? And what the heck is that? So many things around us are absurd and beyond natural comprehension. And the end of the day, we choose to believe what we choose to believe.

Personally, I'm a Christian - I chose to be one (of course upbringing had a part to play) but a choice all the same. After all is said and done, none of us on this board have been to an afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this

I believe that when we die we all become chocolate bars. The rich end up in Thorntons and the plebs end up in Aldi multi-packs! None of us on this board has been a chocolate bar in the afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this. ;)

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:35 am

Tax men have no souls

100% Top Red

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:38 am

On the other had Ste I cannot disprove your belief about becoming a chocolate bar so if that's what get you through the day - go for it.

I have two granddaughters, one 7 and the other 2 1/2. The father of the 7 years old died when she was about 18 months old, at a very early age she asked about where people go when they die. We have been very honest with her; telling her that no one knows what happens to someone who dies. Offering a child a story about crystal palaces and street of gold and angels playing harps is an easy out but we felt long term damage of programming a child far outweighed any immediate relief she would get.

As for the question about the moment of dead, my belief is that the brain short circuits (for want of a better expression) and we lose all our memories, and because we are creatures made up of memories we cease to exist.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:55 am

Dante wrote:
Redlyn wrote:
Glorio wrote: Personally, I'm a Christian - I chose to be one (of course upbringing had a part to play) but a choice all the same. After all is said and done, none of us on this board have been to an afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this
Most Christians are christians by default. I dont think you ever made a conscious decision to become a Christian (from the position of being a non-christian). I think the choice you have made and are making every day is whether to stay one.
That goes for almost any religion. It's followers are indoctrinated into it, very few actually choose a religion.

Related on two counts.
And that's why religions are all absurd.

UNITED > ENGLAND

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:03 am

Short Back and Sides wrote:Tax men have no souls
After tax men die, they enter tax hell. Where they pay tax forever.

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 am

Nice thread. As with everyone else I have no idea. The gland thing is cool though. I don't hold any religious beliefs as I find all of their explanations utterly absurd. If I had to say I'd go with that it all just becomes nothingness. I just really wish in the instant before nothingness someone would explain all of the mysteries of the universe and why on earth it exists. Maybe Brian Cox does this for you.

FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Seems legit.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:02 pm

Redlyn wrote:Most Christians are christians by default. I dont think you ever made a conscious decision to become a Christian (from the position of being a non-christian). I think the choice you have made and are making every day is whether to stay one.
Dante wrote:That goes for almost any religion. It's followers are indoctrinated into it, very few actually choose a religion.

Related on two counts.
Good posts. I was raised a Christian as my dad is very religious and a practising Christian. I went to church every Sunday.

Thought it was daft once I got into my teens. I'd have never chosen to be a Christian.

Make football fabulous again!

Return to “Members Lounge”