Next Match: Image
FC Astana in the Europa League.
Thursday 19th September 2019, KO 20:00 BST.
Martin
Supporter
Supporter

What happens when we die? *Serious Discussion*

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:07 pm

More to the non religious on here but anyone is welcome to post. This is more focused around the process of dying and not the afterlife.

I've read accounts of near death experiences and most talk about feeling at peace and not much else, bright light and that sort of thing. Seen a couple bad ones as well.

I will post what I think in a bit.

Make football fabulous again!

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Re: What happens when we die? *Serious Discussion*

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:23 pm

If people love you, they'll mourn you and miss your presence. Nothing else.

Unless your asking about what you feel as you're dying, then I'd say, no one knows, as no one's experienced it and had the ability to tell others.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Yeah I'm talking about the second bit.

I have read there is DMT released from your brain when you die, so wonder what the purpose of a hallucinogen being released into the body at the moment of death would be. Possibly to make the process of your body shutting down less traumatic.

Basically what I think will happen, is that provided it's a natural death then there is some sort of inbuilt natural mechanism that makes it easier for us. If you are about to get beheaded or hanged then that might be different.

After that, nothing. It will be like before your birth if you look at it logically. Once your brain has shut down there's nothing you're going to feel, see, hear or remember.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

If you're not concious about it, you feel nothing, technically.

However the type of death will make a difference of course, suffocation will make you feel something up until the moment you die. But you won't feel anything the moment you die, as your conciousness goes with you. There probably could be some study using MRIs or CT scans to show brain activity, but I don't think the subject would know about any of it. And I don't think we'll ever have a concrete answer.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Nothing. Ive thought a lot about it over the years. I really cant comprehend that I will eventually just not exsist in any shape or form. I used to think there was heaven and hell etc when I was younger but as I got older I realised that unfortunatly that is very very unrealistic.

100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:25 pm

I think it would depend entirely on how you were dying Martin.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:28 pm

Short Back and Sides wrote:Nothing. Ive thought a lot about it over the years. I really cant comprehend that I will eventually just not exsist in any shape or form. I used to think there was heaven and hell etc when I was younger but as I got older I realised that unfortunatly that is very very unrealistic.
Fair, but I'm talking about the process of being alive and conscious one second and then dead the next.

Dante, yes.

http://wondergressive.com/death-solved- ... ial-gland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a read m8s.

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:31 pm

I should add I've been worrying a bit about this recently. It's not rational, but as I'm getting older I'm thinking about my own mortality a bit more.

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:02 am

I was going to ask martin. You planning on leave us soon and trying to get a heads up or what.

its got to be linked to how you were dying.
Anything inbetween one minute terrified/pain next minute nothing or one minute at peace next minute nothing.

It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes

Giants14
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:21 pm

I was brought up in a Christian household and would attend church on a regular basis and i do believe in a heaven and hell - the thought of death without an afterlife is unsettling in my opinion.

Follow me on Twitter: @BFG14

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Yeah strangely most humans are more comfortable with the idea that some people will suffer for eternity.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:15 pm

The whole idea of afterlife is absurd. And I grew up a Catholic, so letting it go was difficult. But the more I think about it, the less reasonable it sounds.

For example, since life is a collection of memories, when you die at which state of mind do you go into after life? Would a horny 14 year old boy stay like that for eternity? And what about an old man? Or baby, that's not even learned his parents' names yet.

And the idea of heaven or hell is even worse, especially according to Abrahamic religions, where according to them, nothing happens that doesn't go according to god's will, but it is the same god that sets the criteria of entering heaven or hell. Which would mean that if I go to hell, I was born destined to hell, since everything that happens is according to god's will.

But let's just say that they do exist, for the fun of it. If I have to accept this god as my master to get into heaven, wouldn't that be a bit too similar to an abusive relationship?

SUBXERO
International Player
International Player

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Matt wrote:The whole idea of afterlife is absurd. And I grew up a Catholic, so letting it go was difficult. But the more I think about it, the less reasonable it sounds.

For example, since life is a collection of memories, when you die at which state of mind do you go into after life? Would a horny 14 year old boy stay like that for eternity? And what about an old man? Or baby, that's not even learned his parents' names yet.

And the idea of heaven or hell is even worse, especially according to Abrahamic religions, where according to them, nothing happens that doesn't go according to god's will, but it is the same god that sets the criteria of entering heaven or hell. Which would mean that if I go to hell, I was born destined to hell, since everything that happens is according to god's will.

But let's just say that they do exist, for the fun of it. If I have to accept this god as my master to get into heaven, wouldn't that be a bit too similar to an abusive relationship?
Respect mate, that was down to the core and brilliant. No joke!

UNITED > ENGLAND

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:58 pm

Redlyn wrote:I was going to ask martin. You planning on leave us soon and trying to get a heads up or what.
I hope not :o

I'm shit scared of dying and time is going faster.

This makes me feel better - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTuhSdvlX-A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its got to be linked to how you were dying.
Anything inbetween one minute terrified/pain next minute nothing or one minute at peace next minute nothing.
Yep, makes sense.

RedSte
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:36 pm

..you get eaten by worms....eventually

Unless you prefer the incineration method :P

My old man said be a City fan...

Nothing significant and lasting will ever come of FFP! - RedSte (2012)

Sandies
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:30 am

I dont think anyone can ever pretend to know whats going to happen. No individual person or collective religion has any idea what happens to you

"Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjær has won it!"

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:07 am

Though, the most rational theory of consciousness simply ending would seem a very good bet.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Sia
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:50 am

i wonder how loss of consciousness can be compared to falling sleep?

one would argue death is similar to loss of consciousness, during which you simply dont remember anything or notice time lapse. i once had a surgery for which i received anesthesia, i literally remember breathing inside the anesthesia equipment, next thing i remember is waking up and being told i was in the recovery. absolutely no memory or sense of the time lapse of the 2-3 hours in between

on the contrary, you sleep every night and more often than not you have dreams. how can that be explained? possibly a metaphysical existence, which makes you wonder what death would be like? similar to loss of consciousness or similar to dream?

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 am

You always dream, whether you remember them or not is another issue. There's nothing metaphysical about dream though.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:46 am

I saw a video of a guy being shot while he wasnt looking. It looked a really clean death as in he died instantly and it got me thinking about this all over again. When you die, especially if its a sudden death like that, what the hell happens? I just cant get my head around something huge like that and you're unaware of it. Like when people die in their sleep. When does it go from sleeping to death, and im talking mentally, not physically. Its just a huge leap into the unknown that every person in this earth will never kniw until it happens

100% Top Red

Glorio
International Player
International Player

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

Matt wrote:The whole idea of afterlife is absurd.
The fact something is absurd in thought doesn't necessarily make it less of a reality. For instance, when did time start? Let's say you're an evolutionist and that includes the big bang, what happened before that? What there a point when time started? And if yes, before that, what was there? "Nothingness"? On the other end of the spectrum, Is there any point where everything ends? Or does time carry on to eternity? And what the heck is that? So many things around us are absurd and beyond natural comprehension. And the end of the day, we choose to believe what we choose to believe.

Personally, I'm a Christian - I chose to be one (of course upbringing had a part to play) but a choice all the same. After all is said and done, none of us on this board have been to an afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this

There is only one GOLDEN BOY

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:57 am

Glorio wrote:
Matt wrote:The whole idea of afterlife is absurd.
The fact something is absurd in thought doesn't necessarily make it less of a reality. For instance, when did time start? Let's say you're an evolutionist and that includes the big bang, what happened before that? What there a point when time started? And if yes, before that, what was there? "Nothingness"? On the other end of the spectrum, Is there any point where everything ends? Or does time carry on to eternity? And what the heck is that? So many things around us are absurd and beyond natural comprehension. And the end of the day, we choose to believe what we choose to believe.
If it's absurd, and there's no evidence to support it, there's no reason to believe that it is. Evolution is the study of what happens to life, and not how life got here, and how life got here has nothing to do with the big bang. What existed before the big bang is still a mystery.

Allowing yourself to say "I don't know" is being intellectually honest, assuming that something happened, just because you don't know isn't. When we didn't know the earth revolved around the sun, we assumed it was happening the other way round. Scientific inquiry showed that we were wrong.

And if you'd like to say that your gap filler for before the big bang is god, then what was before god, and what was before that? When will it stop? Will it ever stop?
Glorio wrote: Personally, I'm a Christian - I chose to be one (of course upbringing had a part to play) but a choice all the same. After all is said and done, none of us on this board have been to an afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this
Exactly, no one has, all the more reason not to believe in it. We only have these questions, because past generations thought up the concept.

Redlyn
International Player
International Player

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Glorio wrote: Personally, I'm a Christian - I chose to be one (of course upbringing had a part to play) but a choice all the same. After all is said and done, none of us on this board have been to an afterlife, we can't scientifically prove any of this
Most Christians are christians by default. I dont think you ever made a conscious decision to become a Christian (from the position of being a non-christian). I think the choice you have made and are making every day is whether to stay one.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:23 pm

And leaving a religion is a very difficult decision to make. I know, I went through that. I never had a choice of becoming a Christian, the only choice I had was not staying as one.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Martin wrote:
Short Back and Sides wrote:Nothing. Ive thought a lot about it over the years. I really cant comprehend that I will eventually just not exsist in any shape or form. I used to think there was heaven and hell etc when I was younger but as I got older I realised that unfortunatly that is very very unrealistic.
Fair, but I'm talking about the process of being alive and conscious one second and then dead the next.

Dante, yes.

http://wondergressive.com/death-solved- ... ial-gland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a read m8s.
That would explain a lot. I also like the idea of that's what happens. Obviously there needs to be enough DMT released to override all the other hormones firing off in your body at that moment to make it work, but I hope it does. I like the idea of everyone getting their own personal idea of the after-life when they pass this mortal coil.

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Return to “Members Lounge”