Next Match: Image
FC Astana in the Europa League.
Thursday 19th September 2019, KO 20:00 BST.
Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Alcohol

Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 pm

There's a thread somewhere but I don't know where it is.

What do you like to drink? Have drunk a lot of wheat beer recently which I like. Also There's a place that does nice bottled beers by me so in like to pick and choose from that. Some nice Belgian stuff and a couple of IPAS. I don't know a whole lot about beers but they're the ones I like.

For spirits I've just rediscovered fernet and coke. Standard is gin and tonic though .

Also not opposed to good and shit lager.

FCUM- A right bunch of dicks.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Alcohol

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:24 pm

I suggest a stickied link system for this forum. Forum assistant can look after it and sort it or if that assistant wants to take over from U-N-I-T-E-D I'll do it. Either way saves posting multiple threads of the same topic again and again.

I like beer mate. Corona Extra mostly. There is a shop near me that does big fornicate bottles of them. Decent.

Was going to get a bottle of whiskey for Christmas, no idea what's good tbh. Just felt like a change.

Make football fabulous again!

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:31 pm

I've been brewing cider for two weeks and am gonna have my first taste this evening once the sprog has gone to bed.

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Decent. How easy was that to do mate?

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Anyone tried the cirtus strongbow? I'm not a big bow fan but this one is nice. Very drinkable.

Also I can't sticky topics

100% Top Red

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm

We'd have to sticky a lot of other topics on here, like the news thread for example.

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Martin wrote:Decent. How easy was that to do mate?
Piss easy. All you need is a 5 gallon vat, a load of empty bottles, a bag of sugar and the cider kit.

Wilkos do loads of brewing gear. My mate gave me the vat, but they sell them in there for about £15. You can get the kit in Wilkos also but I got mine online for £16. It came in a big tin about the size of one of those cylindrical wine bottle cases and just contains the apple concentrate and a sachet of yeast. You mix that in the vat along with the sugar and top up to 5 gallons with tap water, screw the top, stick it in your airing cupboard and just wait a week.

The top has a hole in it with an air trap to allow gas to escape, and it bubbles away whilst turning to alcohol. After a week you siphon the cider into bottles, add a couple of teaspoons of sugar to each and screw the tops on, leaving them in your airing cupboard then for five more days. The kit produces 40 pints of cider, so I bought 12 2ltr bottles on spring water from Tesco for 17p each to get enough bottles. Since there's nowhere for the gas to escape to now it's sealed in the bottles the reaction with the sugar now turns the cider fizzy. Once it's done, put in to shed to cool overnight and it's ready to drink. It's important to sterilise the vat with bleach before using it again.

The £16 kit has produced 40 pints of strong cider. It's suppose to be around 5.9% according to the instructions. That's 40p a pint. I've tasted this brand not long ago when my mate Ben first tried his and it's lovely. Ben's just finished an £8 kit of lager, 45 pints from that one, 18p a pint; the process is the same and again it tastes great.

You cannot argue with those prices.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Martin wrote:I suggest a stickied link system for this forum. Forum assistant can look after it and sort it or if that assistant wants to take over from U-N-I-T-E-D I'll do it. Either way saves posting multiple threads of the same topic again and again.

I like beer mate. Corona Extra mostly. There is a shop near me that does big fornicate bottles of them. Decent.

Was going to get a bottle of whiskey for Christmas, no idea what's good tbh. Just felt like a change.
cant help you on the whiskey front , I've had whisky and inherited ale which was nice. I also had a really expensive whiskey once and it was lost on me. Just tasted like whiskey.

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:
Martin wrote:Decent. How easy was that to do mate?
Piss easy. All you need is a 5 gallon vat, a load of empty bottles, a bag of sugar and the cider kit.

Wilkos do loads of brewing gear. My mate gave me the vat, but they sell them in there for about £15. You can get the kit in Wilkos also but I got mine online for £16. It came in a big tin about the size of one of those cylindrical wine bottle cases and just contains the apple concentrate and a sachet of yeast. You mix that in the vat along with the sugar and top up to 5 gallons with tap water, screw the top, stick it in your airing cupboard and just wait a week.

The top has a hole in it with an air trap to allow gas to escape, and it bubbles away whilst turning to alcohol. After a week you siphon the cider into bottles, add a couple of teaspoons of sugar to each and screw the tops on, leaving them in your airing cupboard then for five more days. The kit produces 40 pints of cider, so I bought 12 2ltr bottles on spring water from Tesco for 17p each to get enough bottles. Since there's nowhere for the gas to escape to now it's sealed in the bottles the reaction with the sugar now turns the cider fizzy. Once it's done, put in to shed to cool overnight and it's ready to drink. It's important to sterilise the vat with bleach before using it again.

The £16 kit has produced 40 pints of strong cider. It's suppose to be around 5.9% according to the instructions. That's 40p a pint. I've tasted this brand not long ago when my mate Ben first tried his and it's lovely. Ben's just finished an £8 kit of lager, 45 pints from that one, 18p a pint; the process is the same and again it tastes great.

You cannot argue with those prices.
dont like cider but this is intriguing. Always fancied making my own beer

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Beer is just as easy.

Before I tried it I had notions of brewing involving complex chemistry experiment-like setups with all bubbling test-tubes and interconnecting pipework. In reality it's just a single bucket and requires virtually no effort.

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Does it taste better than generic lager?

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Dunno, everyone's taste's different and I suppose all the kits are different also. The one Ben brewed was a pilsner and tasted perfectly fine. I wouldn't complain had I paid £3 for it in a pub, though it cost just 18p a pint.

If you were a connoisseur you'd be able to tell it was made from a kit, but for the average drinker it's just nice beer.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:33 pm

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11 ... 6dc3bb.jpg[/img]

There's my cider. I have 9 more bottles in the shed after giving a bottle each to a couple of lads at work to try.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Have a look on the Wilkos website, they've loads of brewing gear for sale cheap. You really don't need much at all to get you started.

One off cost:
1 five gallon vat £15
1 air trap £1
1 siphoning tube £1
1 tub of sterilisation powder £2

Then for each batch:
1 cider/beer/wine kit £8-22
1.5kg brewing sugar £3

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:16 pm

@Martin what is your price range and who are you buying the whisky for? Is it a present or just for you to drink every so often? Would it be for mixing or drank neat?
Just to follow on from my AA meeting style thread, my drinking habbits have got so much better. I have only been tispy once since the start of that thread. That includes a few United away games. I've been to the pub a few times for a good few hours and made a couple of pints last. Usually going to the pub for three hours could easily be nine pints

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:40 pm

1) Price range: No more than £25 really. So I'm guessing that limits me (it's for me) to the well known whiskey brands but not the luxurious shit. Other spirits are welcomed, but I can imagine what Whiskey tastes like on it's own and it seems like a more flavoursome spirit than something like Vodka which tastes like paint thinner or something to me.

2) It's not a present it's to drink over Christmas, I doubt I'll buy it again but fornicate it #YOLO

3) Neat. I've had JD and coke on nights out before, don't like it. OK for one but not worth buying for myself.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 pm

For £25 quid there is a huge range of single malts you can get. If you go to a specific whisky shop (probably isn't many anymore) they will let you sample a few different types to see which ones you prefer

100% Top Red

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm a neat vodka drinker though I'm banned by the missus because it really screws with me.

You don't really get expensive vodkas as they aren't aged like wine or whisky. Vodkas are generally rated for their lack of taste rather than the opposite. All manner of filtering methods can be used, but even the most expensive bottles generally come to well under £100.

It's a harsh drink to the uninitiated, but all it takes is some perseverance and after a half bottle of good vodka sipped neat you ought to become accustomed to the taste and appreciate the pristine goodness therein.

A bottle of Stolichnaya can be found in most supermarkets these days and will only cost around £22. If you think vodka tastes like paint-thinner then give this a go, to a vodka drinker like myself this is smooth as silk.

Under no circumstances drink Smirnoff. It's a foul vodka, real paint thinner. There are loads of brands both cheaper and nicer than Smirnoff and it's thus only good for mixing. If you'd like something cheaper than Stoli drink Russian Standard; if you want something dirt cheap then drink Vladivar.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Tried Eristoff a couple of years ago and that was really nice neat. And im not a neat vodka drinker. I usedto drink glens by the half litre as a 15 year old along with three hammers cider (Y)

100% Top Red

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Three Hammers, Zeppelin, Frosty Jacks, White Lightening, my entire teenage years were spent smoking weed, popping E's, snorting whatever and drinking that shit. I still have a taste for white cider now, though these days it costs a fortune.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:I'm a neat vodka drinker though I'm banned by the missus because it really screws with me.

You don't really get expensive vodkas as they aren't aged like wine or whisky. Vodkas are generally rated for their lack of taste rather than the opposite. All manner of filtering methods can be used, but even the most expensive bottles generally come to well under £100.

It's a harsh drink to the uninitiated, but all it takes is some perseverance and after a half bottle of good vodka sipped neat you ought to become accustomed to the taste and appreciate the pristine goodness therein.

A bottle of Stolichnaya can be found in most supermarkets these days and will only cost around £22. If you think vodka tastes like paint-thinner then give this a go, to a vodka drinker like myself this is smooth as silk.

Under no circumstances drink Smirnoff. It's a foul vodka, real paint thinner. There are loads of brands both cheaper and nicer than Smirnoff and it's thus only good for mixing. If you'd like something cheaper than Stoli drink Russian Standard; if you want something dirt cheap then drink Vladivar.
Not trying to start a fight with you, just asking this out of curiosity. Are you really enjoying something if you have to condition yourself to like it? Whiskey has layers of complex flavour that can span many grains, nuts, fruits, etc But drinking enough of something to get the point of tolerating drinking doesn't seem to bring about the same enjoyment as drinking a fine single malt. I've never really been a vodka fan myself, mainly because I thoroughly enjoy drinking whiskey, beer and red wine because I like the flavour, I used to drink vodka when I was younger and was looking for the least foul way to get really drunk quickly.

"Make America Great Again!"

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Yeah, just like anything you get a taste for it. Same with a hot curry, just because something has an obnoxious taste to those unpracticed, doesn't make it a taste not worthy of appreciation. Put the effort in and you'll most likely be rewarded.
Last edited by Maverick McKillshark on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy peas
International Player
International Player

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:25 pm

You don't like beer or whisky when you drink it first either, whats the difference

Mushy Peas>Little Pea

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Mushy peas wrote:You don't like beer or whisky when you drink it first either, whats the difference
I was just about two edit my post with the same point.

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Maverick McKillshark wrote:Yeah, just like anything you get a taste for it. Same with a hot curry, just because something has an obnoxious taste to those unpracticed, doesn't make it a taste not worthy of appreciation. Put the effort in and you'll most likely be rewarded.
I've had Russian Standard and thought it was remarkably better then say Smirnoff, but it was only better because it was smoother, like you said, its not like it tastes better. To each their own, i'm not saying you're wrong or anything.

And I did initially like beer and whiskey when I started drinking them. I liked beer from the first sips when I was a kid and same with whiskey, I had sips of my dads whiskey and coke when I was younger and loved it. So when I was old enough to drink I already knew I liked that drink, although it was a transition into drinking neat whiskey now, which I probably wouldn't have liked at the time.

"Make America Great Again!"

Return to “Members Lounge”