Next Match: Image
Southampton in the Premier League.
Momday 13th July 2020, KO 20:00 UTC.
Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Alcohol Thread

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:11 pm

ArizonaRed wrote:I tend to drink more at home than in bars.

I like Belgium beers, Chimay Blue is my favorite, and stouts.  Basically I am a scotch drinker, Johnnie Walker Black as a day to day scotch and single malt Islay's are my preference.
Just got a big bottle of Laphroaig for my birthday. Islay is my favourite region of scotch.

"Make America Great Again!"

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Ashwin wrote:Not a huge fan of lager, but I don't hate them either. I absolutely love me some American, Belgian, German and Irish ales. But the best one I've had in a long time is a beer named 'La Fin Du Monde' by a Canadian brewery named Unibroue. Just had it for the first time recently. It's remarkable.
"The end of the world" one of my favourite beers. You really have to pace yourself with it though, its a tripel, so its 9+%. Anything you can find from Unibroue is good.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:45 pm

America was somewhat strange for drinking. They had no idea that Stella has an awful reputation over here, which was quite funny.

Cider basically doesn't exist, which as it's my main drink was a pain. Was astonished by how cheap spirits are over there (not in bars). If I lived in America, I'd drink spirits at home.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Thats not true. You'll find Cider here if you go to the right place. There's plenty of them atleast here in Chicago. I've never had trouble finding them, at bars or in the store.

But yeah, even I'm surprised that people here think Stella is good. Its average at best

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Every place had either none, or one cider. Nowhere had it on tap. One place had some American one, and cans of Strongbow(!) of all things.

My point was that in England there is no going to the right place. Any pub will have several. You'll have at least one on tap, and several bottled varieties.

Matt
Reserve Team Coach
Reserve Team Coach

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Ashwin wrote:Thats not true. You'll find Cider here if you go to the right place. There's plenty of them atleast here in Chicago. I've never had trouble finding them, at bars or in the store.

But yeah, even I'm surprised that people here think Stella is good. Its average at best
it's shit. It smells weird too

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Ashwin
Seasoned Veteran
Seasoned Veteran

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Dante wrote:Every place had either none, or one cider. Nowhere had it on tap. One place had some American one, and cans of Strongbow(!) of all things.

My point was that in England there is no going to the right place. Any pub will have several. You'll have at least one on tap, and several bottled varieties.
Cider is most popular in the UK rather than the United States and Canada. Considering there are a ton of Irish bars here, I've never had an issue finding one. Strongbow and Magners are among my favourite when it comes to cider. Here, you'll instead find lot of IPA drinks. They're the ones that are quite popular here.

“Bill, how would you like to be manager of the best team in the country?”
And Shankly said: “Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?”

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:43 pm

Dante wrote:America was somewhat strange for drinking. They had no idea that Stella has an awful reputation over here, which was quite funny.

Cider basically doesn't exist, which as it's my main drink was a pain. Was astonished by how cheap spirits are over there (not in bars). If I lived in America, I'd drink spirits at home.
I think its whats different and "exotic" appeals to people. Stella is considered a premium beer here and Carling is considered garbage, just drank by lower class types (sorry can't think of a better way of putting it). Yet it seems in England Carling is a popular brand.

Alcohol is dirt cheap in the US, and both in terms of beer and spirits there is a fantastic selection. Whenever I go to the States I always pick up some great craft beers and occassionally spirits. Its a lot easier to get a pass at the border with 12 beer as opposed to a bottle of liquor.

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:04 pm

It's popular, but mainly because it's cheap, and they advertise a lot. Like Strongbow. Even those who drink it would consider it a bit crap.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Yeah Carling isnt the best tbh, but on tap, its the best of the cheap beers. Fosters and Carlsberg are rotten. I dont do bitter in more than one or two either and bottles are way overpriced.

100% Top Red

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:44 pm

We buy shit beer in the UK. The four highest selling are Carlsberg, Fosters, Stella and Carling. Carling is the only one that is OK. It isn't great but it's inoffensive. Stella I can just about understand but Carlsberg and Fosters are fornicate shit. There are a lot of people here who would share your lower class type opinion on Carling.

They are all just the most commonly offered options.

Carling Zest is quality though.

Make football fabulous again!

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Martin wrote:We buy shit beer in the UK. The four highest selling are Carlsberg, Fosters, Stella and Carling. Carling is the only one that is OK. It isn't great but it's inoffensive. Stella I can just about understand but Carlsberg and Fosters are fornicate shit. There are a lot of people here who would share your lower class type opinion on Carling.

Why are they shit ?

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Foster's tastes like how rotting cheese smells. Carlsberg has a weird after taste, a bit like celery or something.

Make football fabulous again!

Relly
Supporter
Supporter

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Martin wrote:We buy shit beer in the UK. The four highest selling are Carlsberg, Fosters, Stella and Carling. Carling is the only one that is OK. It isn't great but it's inoffensive. Stella I can just about understand but Carlsberg and Fosters are fornicate shit. There are a lot of people here who would share your lower class type opinion on Carling.

I find it so weird. Carling is an absolute budget beer here. A case is $30, which is the lowest legal price for beer in Ontario. Stella and Carlsberg are both $47 a case, which is as much as a case is unless you get into craft beers that really aren't meant to be sold as cases.

I used to drink Stella and Carlsberg a lot, I never thought they were amazing, but I like that style, the tinny lager, but my taste has refined and if I am paying that money I would rather it be for a local craft beer that is made for the purpose of making really good beer as opposed to being mass produced to make money. I am also now an ale drinker, and the more hops the better.

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Carling>Carlsberg

100% Top Red

Dante
Referee
Referee

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Relly wrote:I find it so weird.  Carling is an absolute budget beer here.  A case is $30, which is the lowest legal price for beer in Ontario.  Stella and Carlsberg are both $47 a case, which is as much as a case is unless you get into craft beers that really aren't meant to be sold as cases.

I used to drink Stella and Carlsberg a lot, I never thought they were amazing, but I like that style, the tinny lager, but my taste has refined and if I am paying that money I would rather it be for a local craft beer that is made for the purpose of making really good beer as opposed to being mass produced to make money.  I am also now an ale drinker, and the more hops the better.
Carling and Carlsberg are usually about the same price about here buying from a supermarket, but if one is cheaper it's Carling. Usually only about a quid or 2 cheaper. Stella is usually a bit more, but thanks to retailer discounting it's not been 'reassuringly expensive' for years. Stella will normally be more in a pub, and either Carlsberg or Carling will be the cheap one, though sometimes both.

Thanks to lower tax, cider is usually cheaper than them all.

Leftbank
Assistant Referee
Assistant Referee

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 am

Fellaini's Afro wrote:Carling>Carlsberg
Everything>Carling

LEFTBANK Scourge of the Scousers
Rumpole of the Lounge

Short Back and Sides
Referee
Referee

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 pm

The missus got us some Old Mout cider today. Some Kiwi and Lime and some Strawberry and Lime. Inrolled my eyes when I saw the flavours as I was expecting an overly sweet bottle of crap. Actually both are really nice. Very subtle flavours and in no way tastle like Kopparberg over-sweetened nonsense.

100% Top Red

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Drinking Peroni tonight.

Could be much, much worse. I like Peroni.

ArizonaRed
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Making chicken fajita for tonight so the beer has got to be Tecate.

I can't believe it. I can't believe it. Football. Bloody hell.

t.d.
International Player
International Player

Thu May 14, 2015 7:29 pm

If you like whisky then you need to try Penderyn. Single malt Welsh whisky. I'm not trying to big it up 'cos it's Welsh, but it's really nice.

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/Our-Whiskies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More fool you if you buy mass-produced shyte in the UK. Get yourself something nice from Fuller's or Tomos Watkins or Shepherd's Neame or get a foreign import from BeerHawk.

x(t) = Asin(ωt + φ)

marcus leong
Supporter
Supporter

Fri May 15, 2015 5:12 am

Just tried a stout from Scotland, don't like it. Guiness is still the best so far when comes to flavour and taste.

Rick: "Weddings are basically funerals with cake."

Ydrah.Tom
International Player
International Player

Fri May 15, 2015 9:28 am

Hyde's Black is almost like a stout.

Just get some if you get the chance. It's the nicest beer, full stop.

Maverick McKillshark
Supporter
Supporter

Sun May 17, 2015 2:36 pm

14% beer, anyone?

HP Sauce salesman of the month January, May, June 2015

Martin
Supporter
Supporter

Sun May 17, 2015 9:37 pm